Help me Stihl gurus...031AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any big shop wouldhave given such a high estimate, new carb, filters,
ignition, etc, that he would have walked out the door with a new MS310,
maybe $20 knocked off.
The 031 would have then sit in the back of the shop, until someone in
the company, charged with cleaning out the shop, would have thrown it in the dumpster, and a pure scumbag tech like me would have taken it home,
fixed and used it, or parted it out on e-bay. That is the only compensation
I have working for chump change at the local dealers, I dumpster-dive......

They call me Fish G. Sanford......... Or Rick..... Or John..... Or a -hole...

Well, if thats where you are getting your parts that you sell on ebay, its no wonder you dont notice or care about a few stripped threads!!!:givebeer: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: LOL

That 031 is a great saw, don't let anyone try to tell you different. It has great torque and sounds so good. There is a reason why Stihl sold so many of them. I would just do what Lakeside advised because he is the expert on Stihl chainsaws. I had an air leak through my impulse tube on my 031 and Lakeside gave me the advice to fix the saw. I just love my 031 and I think you will when you get yours running.:cheers:

That 031 is a great saw, don't let anyone try to tell you different. It has great torque and sounds so good. There is a reason why Stihl sold so many of them. I would just do what Lakeside advised because he is the expert on Stihl chainsaws. I had an air leak through my impulse tube on my 031 and Lakeside gave me the advice to fix the saw. I just love my 031 and I think you will when you get yours running.:cheers:

Ah Phoohey, What do you know? You celebrate potatos!

LoL, j/k howdy neighbor! Im in Nelson.

Scott.

bad rep

Now your pickin' on spuds!

I bet they call you tater salad:clap:

That there avatar is a designer chain setup. Amazing chain speed.

And anyone with an old 031 give me a yell, that is what I started on.

Now your pickin' on spuds!

I bet they call you tater salad:clap:

That there avatar is a designer chain setup. Amazing chain speed.

And anyone with an old 031 give me a yell, that is what I started on.

Ha ha ha ha , :biggrinbounce2: Mantua, Ohio has a Potato festival every year. This next weekend as a matter of fact. Just teasing epicklein22 a little. Back in the mid eighties I actually worked in the Haunted Grainery, also of Mantua fame.

Scott.

I'm back...with more pics.

What do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks

Pretty bad.. particularly as it's the intake side... and you measured what compression?

Pull the jug and check it out - clean all the crap of it first so it doesn't get into the crankcase.

Pretty bad.. particularly as it's the intake side... and you measured what compression?

Pull the jug and check it out - clean all the crap of it first so it doesn't get into the crankcase.

Admittedly, I know very little about fixing saws but I did pull the plug, screw in the adapter, and give her 5 - 7 pulls. The gauge read between 150 and 160.

I don't know...is there any way to screw up the measurement?

That looks REALLY BAD. Thats what my 036 looked like when a wrist pin keeper popped into the crankcase while it was on the bench. You can try to save the cylinder, but you definately need a new piston.

I may have a used piston and cylinder, I will let you know.

Scott.

Admittedly, I know very little about fixing saws but I did pull the plug, screw in the adapter, and give her 5 - 7 pulls. The gauge read between 150 and 160.

I don't know...is there any way to screw up the measurement?

Overly rich oil mixture, thick oil (old evaporated mix) in the bore - all lead to higher readings. The "hot" reading is the ony one that really matters -the rest are just a guideline. It may also be that the damage really doesn't affect the compression a lot - but don't run it like that or you'll end up with zero compression pretty quick.

Don't sweat the cylinder - many used around, and cheap.. Have fun on the rebuild - you'll lean a lot.

Last edited:
I spent some time last night pondering whether I should 'lift the skirt' in regards to my inexperience. After a few hours of trying to remove crud from the saw tonight I decided what the heck...we're all here to learn right?

I removed the jug tonight but unfortunately the camera is out of battery. It's charging now, perhaps I'll get something up in a few hours.

Removing the crud:

What a pain in the arse! I really wanted to grab a garden hose and spray it but I thought better of that plan. I ended up using a spray bottle with Simple Green, a few brushes, some Q-tips, and finishing up with a blast of air. What's the best way to do this?

Removing the jug:

Three of the four hex nuts broke pretty easily but the fourth was hard as hell. That hex wrench twisted like I've never seen before. Any secrets here? What if one was to strip the screw?

Removing the jug II:

I took the screws out and pulled the jug but the shop manual said something about using a wooden block if you want to remove the piston. Is this a real tool or something that I can make?

Photography:

From reading here for the past two years I think I can say that the piston needs replacement, but the jug is not bad. Perhaps a honing is in order. How in the world do I get a good pic of the jug to share with you guys?

I guess that's enough for now. Thank for your time.

b8_1_b.JPG

You need these or a big wire tie strap to compress the rings.

I clean my saws with degreaser and a pressure washer.

Stripping screws or worse breaks...If I can I weld something on top of the stripped screw like a nut. When you bust a bolt flush, a great time saving trick is to place a nut on top of the broken bolt and fill the nut with weld from a mig welder. Let it cool and usually it unscews easily from the heat of the welder.

Be careful about honing. Do as much work with Muratic acid or sand paper, then get a well used ball hone and use the right oil. NO more than 5 seconds or you will trash the cylinder. If you like buy a new hone and work it into an iron pipe to break it in.

Taking a pic, do this by back lighting the cylinder with a light in the sparkplug hole.

Let me know if you need the cylinder and piston.

Scott.

Pressure washer? I guess the garden hose idea wasn't so bad huh?

Keep the plug in, the muff on, and blast it????

I pull the side cover off, the bar and chain off and sometimes the cover that is around the clutch. Also any plastic that comes off easily. I just try to avoid hitting into the muffler or carb. But a pressure washer can get into a ton of places that a brush can not.

Don't be timid about cleaning. Generally a clean saw has been very well maintained.

If you have an air compressor you can blow off a lot of the excess water. Just try and keep the water away from your points if possible.

b8_1_b.JPG

You need these or a big wire tie strap to compress the rings.

I clean my saws with degreaser and a pressure washer.

Stripping screws or worse breaks...If I can I weld something on top of the stripped screw like a nut. When you bust a bolt flush, a great time saving trick is to place a nut on top of the broken bolt and fill the nut with weld from a mig welder. Let it cool and usually it unscews easily from the heat of the welder.

Be careful about honing. Do as much work with Muratic acid or sand paper, then get a well used ball hone and use the right oil. NO more than 5 seconds or you will trash the cylinder. If you like buy a new hone and work it into an iron pipe to break it in.

Taking a pic, do this by back lighting the cylinder with a light in the sparkplug hole.

Let me know if you need the cylinder and piston.

Scott.

Thanks Scott, but what is the "right" oil?

Thanks Scott, but what is the "right" oil?

When you buy your ball hone, ask the guys where your buying it from. Its some kind of special cutting oil. Um, I used hydraulic gear oil (20-50). Its not the right stuff, but it worked for me.

Most of the time if you can just get the aluminum off the cylinder and scuff up the cylinder with emery, that would be enough to get her going again. If your not doing a ton of saw repairs you really do not need to spend the money on a ball hone if you can avoid it. But it is the correct way of doing it if your going to reuse the old cylinder.

Scott.

Back