Help! They're Tearing Down My Trees Tomorrow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got more photos of the base of these two trees. Please let me know if you think they are diseased. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    916.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    412 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    601.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    857 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    968 KB · Views: 132
This.

And please have someone film it.

Unless the Arborist has .404" on his saw: the GTFO of the way before you loose a limb.
So .404 is the pitch of choice for decapitation via chainsaw ??? Good thing I don't have tree huggers around here nobody tells me these things. I run 3/8.

So .404 is the pitch of choice for decapitation via chainsaw ??? Good thing I don't have tree huggers around here nobody tells me these things. I run 3/8.

Especially Square Filled: that stuff cuts in front of the chain.

If living without the tree is so horrible why are you living in the concrete jungle. Youd be amazed at just how many trees there are out there. Don't get your hopes up on saving the trees pretty much everything about the city environment goes against what a tree needs to thrive. My guess is it won't take too much looking to find issues with the tree. You've allreaddy said they have hollows at the base as well as over pruning on the lower part of the tree has left it with a unhealthy taper ..... oh and the part about the school ... throw in a "what if that windshield was someones kid" comment ..... whoever at the school that's pushing to have the trees taken down has liability on their mind for good reason and when you throw kids in the mix it makes a pretty strong argument. Oh and I'm guessing there paying the arborist to give them an assessment so it's prolly going to be a smidge biased. By all means chain yourself to the tree and swallow the key dose anyone know where to get a chain made of carbide so they can't just cut it with bolt cutters ??? Or better yet crawl out your window and put up a hammock camp out for a while that should make the headlines.

I'm no arborist but have been around schools many years, from the looks of that hollow base and the lean it has, I would take it out if I was the principal. His job is to make sure students are safe and that tree is a disaster waiting to happen. If tree was straight and healthy with no rot, it would be ok. that tree needs to go. sorry that's not what you wanted to hear but he has to think of the safety of the people on his campus,

Yes, they've already used the, "what if that windshield was someone's kid" comment. This small parking lot is used by the principal and the teachers only. Kids are not supposed to be in this parking lot and I don't ever see them in there.

Any photos f the trunk at ground level?

I'm no arborist but have been around schools many years, from the looks of that hollow base and the lean it has, I would take it out if I was the principal. His job is to make sure students are safe and that tree is a disaster waiting to happen. If tree was straight and healthy with no rot, it would be ok. that tree needs to go. sorry that's not what you wanted to hear but he has to think of the safety of the people on his campus,

You're the first person to say that it has rot. What makes you think so? Also the parking lot for the teachers is in a secluded fenced off area across the street from the school. The campus is in another area and the parking lot is only used by the principal and the teachers.

So what if a another branch falls out and hits an educator in the head ??? Aren't they allreaddy brain dead enough ... I mean after all they want to cut down your beautiful trees ...... that are either actually your landlords or the schools ... that you don't actually own .......... just saying

You're the first person to say that it has rot. What makes you think so? Also the parking lot for the teachers is in a secluded fenced off area across the street from the school. The campus is in another area and the parking lot is only used by the principal and the teachers.
You can try to keep it from coming down but I don't think you will win. It's their property and they can do what they want. Kinda like if you had one on your property and you seen it was a hazard and wanted it down, your neighbors have no say in the matter. unless you live in a historical district, then they may have an argument if it's an old tree.

Also I don't know how much rot it has, I'm just going by the pics of the hollowed base you posted.

So what if a another branch falls out and hits an educator in the head ??? Aren't they allreaddy brain dead enough ... I mean after all they want to cut down your beautiful trees ...... that are either actually your landlords or the schools ... that you don't actually own .......... just saying
No they're not and apparently you didn't listen to one in spelling class.

Go over to the base reach in the hole and I'm betting unless you have weak little princess hands you'll be able to pull out material .... that's rot .... if it's not rot it will be hard as concrete that's part of the compartmentalization process if it dident compartmentalize basically the wound was to large and the wood is rotting out before the tree grows over. Kinda like when you chain your arm to the tree and the arborist whips out his tree hugger special with the .404 and cuts your arm off to remove you from the work zone .... you now have a wound ..... if the wound dosent heal over before infection sets in now your rotting ........ seeing how it was your arm no big deal cuz your a lefty anyhow so up yours arborist ....... well how about if it was your foot ...... now everytime someone bumps into you (wind analogy) your going to have a hard time balancing but to make things worse you cought a rare case of elaphantitus and your head is swelled up grotesquely large ( analogy for the hack pruning of the lower branches ) so your top heavy and your rotten stub is constantly throbbing ..... gonna make standing around all day pretty tough... oh I forgot to mention your malnourished too because you have hardly any root zone. So yep your living next to a starving kid from Africa with a missing foot and infection in his leg grotesquely large head and people keep trying to knock him down ...... that's my analogy howd I do ?

No they're not and apparently you didn't listen to one in spelling class.
I'm not perfect... but if there's anything I said your having trouble understanding because of misspellings improper grammar or punctuation let me know I'll try to sort it out for you. While that was a backhanded poke at the education system I beleive you missed that one completely ..... are you available today between 1:00 and 3:00 I would love for you to be my hero even if for a short time

Ok just from pictures alone trees over raised,basal defects,targets daily to faculty, encroaching foundation,and bingo strong recommendations for removal are quite possible. If the trees were not over raised and they were not encroaching the foundation the defects themselves could be mitigated with reduction. To reduce now after limbs have been raised two stories would imo not be a great result in aesthetics, tree health, nor would it mitigate foundation problems!

Following the ISA hazard tree assessment, from those pics, I would rate those trees as medium to high hazard. You have a significant defect affecting the entire tree, leaning over an area with significant targets with a high frequency of use. I more of a retentionist than many on this board, but I wouldn't be fighting very hard to save them.

If I was the decision maker, I would be taking them out. To me the risk (probability of failure X the consequence of that failure) it too great. I would have a different opinion if that cavity in the base wasn't there.

I was reading through this thread. And then I came upon 13treeworks analogy.
You just don't come across posts of that caliber everyday. Well done, sir.
Thanks, my day job has been wretched latly I'm losing my mind waiting for stuff to do while I'm suposidly at work meanwhile my stuff to do at home list keeps growing and I'm getting backed up with the part time tree stuffs. Makes me irritable and probibaly a little harsh. When the op dident realize they were looking at rot and mentioned the brown heartwood being maple syrup. I figured an analogy was in order no offense to the op this is proy just a topic outside of there wheelhouse that is after all why there asking. Btw even if he dident chain himself to the tree like a few of us were really hoping he would .... he did do a decent job with the pics more than enough there to answer the question but could we please get a pic of you chained to the tree ...... pretty pretty please ?

Latest posts

Back