Help with 35t Huskee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the lash has to be set cold. Heres how I am doing it . Stick feeler gauge in between the top of valve and the rocker arm. Tighten it up until it is just tight on the gauge, pull gauge out and tighten 1/4 turn past, as per the briggs and stratton dealer.

I can always tell though if I got it too tight or not enough. Not enough makes the engine try to start but sputter but too tight makes it way too hard to pull over and it wont run at all.

Now correct me if how I am setting the lash wrong, or if someone can tell me another method to preform. :cheers:

I guess If the dealer said go 1/4 turn more then its prolly right....but, then it wont have any lash, and it will have pre load??? Right? Ive never been in a B&S, just basing off the ole hot rod days so I may be in the wrong.

1) I think the extra 1/4 turn is killing you.
2) There should be flats on the valve adjuster screw that allows you to hold the adjuster while you tighten the jam nut. If they continue to loosen up, maybe try a little blue loctite on the nuts.

1) I think the extra 1/4 turn is killing you.
2) There should be flats on the valve adjuster screw that allows you to hold the adjuster while you tighten the jam nut. If they continue to loosen up, maybe try a little blue loctite on the nuts.

Agreed and you need to be able to cycle the valves open and closed with the recoil starter and pick up your feeler gage values within .001", .002" at the most when the valves are again closed.

Ok I did a little bit of searching, and it looks like you have a center torx screw in the center of the nut. The nut is used to adjust the valve and the torx screw is the lock.

How to Adjust Valves on a 12.5 Intek Briggs & Stratton | eHow.com

If your setup is different disregard completely.

I honestly never thought of that or even looked for the center nut before. If I have some extra time today I will have to check it out. Thanks again for all the replies and helpful tips.

Whatever the setup is under that cover, realize you have a valve adjustment device and a separate device to lock the adjustment device in place. With the valves adjusted and the locks tightened cycle the engine around slowly and check your settings. Adjust again if required. Running this engine with the valve lash bouncing all around on you is not good thing for engine longevity. How are those valve seats looking now?
good luck

I agree with the others. Turn the engine over to where the cam lobe will be down= valve will be closed. Set the lash to the specs, and tighten down the poly lock. I think thats probably what is giving you a problem. With out that lock tightened down, it will never hold adjustment. Good luck.

Well today I got around to taking another look at the splitter and sure enough I have been over looking the center torx screws. I have never worked on engines much and never knew of the locking screw. I would have never figured it out with out you guys help. Again thanks.
:cheers:

Well today I got around to taking another look at the splitter and sure enough I have been over looking the center torx screws. I have never worked on engines much and never knew of the locking screw. I would have never figured it out with out you guys help. Again thanks.
:cheers:

That's what makes sites like this invaluable. You are learning and $aving at the same time!!!

Rep sent for your diligence!

I know the lash has to be set cold. Heres how I am doing it . Stick feeler gauge in between the top of valve and the rocker arm. Tighten it up until it is just tight on the gauge, pull gauge out and tighten 1/4 turn past, as per the briggs and stratton dealer.

I can always tell though if I got it too tight or not enough. Not enough makes the engine try to start but sputter but too tight makes it way too hard to pull over and it wont run at all.

Now correct me if how I am setting the lash wrong, or if someone can tell me another method to preform. :cheers:

The thing you were missing is my dad;)
He loves adjusting valves and is really good at it..I otta rent him out.

Congrats on getting everything running again:cheers:

Latest posts

Back