HELP!!! with a husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just received a 261 Husky that I ordered and went to fill it with gas and the gas ran out as fast as I poured it in. I found that the tank is split where it is put together. The dealer that I purchased it from is closed till after christmas. I need the saw BAD! If i fix it my self will it void the warranty? What can I use to seal the crack?

Hi Matt, dont touch the saw or you will never get satisfaction. The saw was probably knocked around in shipment. Just be patient till the end of the holidays. What I dont understand is why this problem wasn't reveiled when the saw was preped by the dealer.
John

I thought that all Huskys were preped before shipment. The problem is from the factory. The gas tank seam is not sealed right under the throttle. I figured that Husqvarna would have better Quality Control than that. Next time I am going to buy locally instead of trying to save a buck!

Matt any reputable dealer will fire a saw up, set the carb for engine break in, any maybe stick a tach on it to make sure it runs in the right range. Your dealer obviously did not do this. I would not mess with it. If it is as bad as you say you would have to goop it up pretty good to seal the tank and yuo could screw up the warranty.

Waited so long for this saw i might just send it back and go buy a Stihl!

Hi Matt, maybe send a diplomatic note to Husqvarna and state what happened. Husky is concerned about these things and will bend over backwards to see that you are redeemed. So dont touch the saw and you should recieve a new one. If it was damaged in shipment than this should be a shipment claims as oppossed to a fault by Husky.
John

This was not a shipping problem. The crack is in the seam right under the throttle. I can fix it, but if it leaks later will they still cover the warranty? I need to cut fire wood NOW!

Hi Matt, if you try to fix it, it is like tampering with evidence, so please leave it as you found it or you will have a bad New Year.
I know how you must feel wanting to cut wood, but hold yourself back. You will be glad you did.
John

DO NOT...fix the saw...spend the money and rent or borrow a saw. This will give you a good trade-in on a stihl or you can refer yourself to the chainsaw throwing thread...and this is no joke.

Do not touch the saw

Matt, I doubt you need yet another guy telling you not to touch the saw, but here goes DO NOT FIX THE SAW!:D I have had similar situation with other products and went ahead and band-aided them to get me by, and have always regretted it after the "emergency" was past. My luck would go something like this:
1) Put seal-all or some other goop on saw.
2) leak seems fixed
3) Go to cut wood
4) Saw starts to leak
5) Violently curse the lack of quality control these days and vow to give dealer a good reaming when I get done cutting.
6) continue to cut wood mumbling under my breath the whole time.
7) Saw catches on fire ruining the housing and any chance of any dealer taking me seriously.
8) Take ruined saw and the 3 logs I got cut home
9) Get home to have wife say, "Why didn't you borrow your dads (or brothers or friends etc... ) saw? You know they will never take that one back now.":angry:
Save yourself the headache. Leave it alone.
My 2 cents,
Steve

I think everyone is right. I'll just put everything back in the box and wait till Wednesday to call. Maybe by then I'll be done doing the slow burn:angry: .

Though this is obviously a warranty-type item, you may be able to do yourself a favor by also exercising the "Crown Guarantee." It's basically a 15-day money-back guarantee offered by Husqvarna. You may be able to help yourself by sending a certified letter to the dealer describing the problem. The postmark will serve as evidence of when you brought the problem to the dealer's attention, regardless of when the letter actually got there.

Another thought -- I believe it is part of the Husqvarna dealership agreement to service warrantable repairs, regardless of where the saw is bought. Any of you dealers able to confirm this? If so, you could take it to your local dealer, and experience the mild embarrasment of having to explain that you just bought the saw somewhere else, but at least you can be out cutting sooner, if your local dealer is open on Monday.

Back