Help with a ms 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirstanesq

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all long time lurker here. Recently acquired a straight gassed sthil ms 361 that is in GREAT shape for being burned up. Pretty familiar with two cycle engines, and chainsaws in general, but have never rebuilt a saw before. I have already replaced the piston & cylinder (with a big bore kit) as well as the flywheel, ignition module and fuel pickup. I have checked the fuel line, as well as the impulse hose and they are clear and in good shape (no cracks) I have tore the carb apart and cleaned it inside and out (and it looks brand new). My issue is that it doesn't run right at all. I can get it started if its WOT and it runs, but it won't idle at all. It won't start unless its WOT. Any other suggestions before I take it to a mechanic? thanks!

Tore down the 361 the other day. Found out the clutch side bearing was SHOT. Will replace both, any idea how to tell if the crank is still within spec? Is the 036 the same parts as the ms 361? Any idea on where to source parts? I won't deal with my local stihl dealer.

Jim

What about parts from an MS 360? Still different?

I am having issues locating the bearings for the Crank. they area p/n

Flywheel
9503 003 0348

Clutch
9523 003 4265

Are there updated part numbers for these bearings?

As far as I know, only the cutting attachment, including clutch cover and nuts, is the same - but I may have missed something.

Look into the IPLs regarding the bearings, as I don't really know. However, any Stihl dealer should be able to get you what you need.....

The 036 and MS360 are pretty much the same saw, but both completely different from the 361. Many Stihl crank bearings are proprietary.

Yup, making it as hard as possible to get parts from other sourses is a part of Stihls business plan!

Last edited:
thanks everone for your help!

the Stihl dealer I use (because my local dealer is a tool) said the clutch side bearing (9523 003 4265) was no longer available, and couldn't offer any suggestions. Bailey's had both bearings and chainsawr.com has a nice used crank. Learned a lot about the differences between the 036, 360 and 361 today! I bet I will learn even more about the 361 when the parts arrive. Then once running, I will need to come back and get more info about porting the exhaust so this saw will rip!

Jim

the Stihl dealer I use (because my local dealer is a tool) said the clutch side bearing (9523 003 4265) was no longer available, and couldn't offer any suggestions. Bailey's had both bearings and chainsawr.com has a nice used crank. Learned a lot about the differences between the 036, 360 and 361 today! I bet I will learn even more about the 361 when the parts arrive. Then once running, I will need to come back and get more info about porting the exhaust so this saw will rip!

Jim

Yes 9523 003 4265 is no longer available. It has been superseded to 9523 003 4266. 15x35x13 grooved ball bearing.

do you think the 9523 003 4265 from Bailey's will work? new old stock i am guessing?

Yes 4265 will work. Stihl dropped their German and Swiss bearing makers. They have since sourced them out to a manufacturer in China. In doing so they changed their part numbers by adding 1. :msp_tongue:

Thanks everyone for the help. Still waiting on bearings, might as well research muffler mods and carb tuning... Are these the beginning symptoms of CAD??? :cool2:

I have already decided that I need another saw to keep at the cabin, just in case....

Jim

Yes 9523 003 4265 is no longer available. It has been superseded to 9523 003 4266. 15x35x13 grooved ball bearing.

Is there an updated part number for the flywheel side bearing number 9503 003 0354 for the ms 361? Thoughts about just going generic 6202 C3?

Thanks Guys

Back