help with chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwmorningstar

Reaction score
I have a puelon 40 cc chain saw, it will not idle,, i got it to start but only will run about 30 secs. or so.. then i quits and is hard to start
i have checked the plug, cleaned the filters cleaned the saw. cna some one tilll me how to get it running again. i have been told that the carb may need adjusting?
:greenchainsaw:

Not sure what adjustments are on the Poulan, but most saws have H, L and idle screws (LA maybe). The H and L are together and the Idle is by itself. If it won't idle, try turning the idle screw or the L screw about 1/4 to 1/2 turn each way. Fiddle with one at a time.

If this doesn't help, loosen the gas cap before it dies. Does it idle better? If so, you have a plugged tank vent. Another easy fix is replacing the fuel filter.

I have a puelon 40 cc chain saw, it will not idle,, i got it to start but only will run about 30 secs. or so.. then i quits and is hard to start
i have checked the plug, cleaned the filters cleaned the saw. cna some one tilll me how to get it running again. i have been told that the carb may need adjusting?
:greenchainsaw:

what model poulan is it also on the id tag there is a serial # with series of numbers followed by a - symbol and a single number digit i need that as well so i can tell you what the issue is

need help

poulan 40 cc chain saw the serial no. 06200d300324-2 (10:29) model p4018wtl802143
i just tried to start it and it wont fire up. it is getting a spark and there is gas.
thanks

Last edited:
poulan 40 cc chain saw the serial no. 06200d300324-2 (10:29) model p4018wtl802143
i just tried to start it and it wont fire up. it is getting a spark and there is gas.
thanks

Hi,

Almost all starting/running problems are related to the fuel.

Either the fuel is contaminated (like water in it), or it has sat too long and gummed the carb. Fuel containers can get condensation ( water) even though it seems improbable.

The worst case is a damaged motor which is easy on a Poulan to diagnose. Just pull the muffler off and you can see the piston and some of the cylinder. If you see the least bit of damage, post what you see.

Good luck,
echoman

i see no damage. i put in new gas just tried to start it again smells like it is flooding. but still not starting

time for a little work

hate to say it but carb rebuild is what is needed along with new fuel line and filter:givebeer:

:cheers:

Back