Help with FS110 Autocut Head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WACutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using my FS110 with Autocut 25-2 head for a while, and am having problems using it.

Problem #1 The auto line feed seems to not work. I read the manual, and believe that I am operating it correctly. You are supposed to tap it on the ground, which depresses the button on the bottom of the head. Supposedly, if you have at least 1" of line left, it should feed more line. This never happens.

Problem #2 Every 5 to 10 minutes of operation, the lines either break, or get sucked back up into the head. This means I have to turn it off and pop off the head to get the lines back out. Ugh.

I am trimming high, thin grass most of the time, so it doesn't seem like I am beating up the line. I love the trimmer itself, it starts easy, runs great, and does seem to use too much gas.

Is there a trick to making these work correctly? Is this just the way it is with the FS110? Are other heads easier to use/preferable? Thanks.

Either yours is defective, you have the line wound in the wrong direction, or are twisting the line while you're winding it. Mine works perfectly every time. Did it work properly with the original line wound on it? You need to be sure you are spooling the lines in the direction that the arrow on the spool shows. You also need to make sure you are spooling the lines straight onto the head spool from the bulk spool. Do not "wrap" the line around the spool as this causing twisting. A little trick I do to keep the line from unraveling while you put the spool in the head is to run the loaded spool under very hot water and then cold water to let the line conform to the smaller diameter. What type and size line are you using? That is a good quality string head. Good luck!

Last edited:
Problem 1 - yes it is a bump feed head - check how you are reinstalling the spool. I bet your not letting it "pop out" from the tab after reloading it. Or what Woodheater said.

Problem 2 - Always make sure there is plenty of line out. I have had them suck back in from time to time.

I can put some pictures up if you need a demonstration.

Last edited:
My bump feed doesn't work either, gave up on it.

I have switched to the poly blade head for cutting tall grass and weeds, cuts slow but no string issues.
I also use the head that you can feed the string in through the side in 8 inch strings. Works pretty good, but you will keep feeding line manually if you hit rocks or roots.

Thanks Guys.

I use the standard line that came with it, and just bought more of the same from the Stihl dealer. I'll make sure that the line is wound correctly and not twisted, although I've had similar issues since it was new and preloaded from the factory. While I suppose it's possible that the head is defective, my money is on user error. I'm going over to the dealer to pick up some other stuff next weekend, so I'll take the 110 with me. I'll check out some other heads for it too, and also see if they have a poly head.

Cold_Iron, if you get a chance to take a pic that would be great.

The manual didn't offer much in the way of how to load the line, or even how to pop off the top of the 25-2. When you put out even a bit too much line, it tended to wrap around the bar.

Is it possible to use the 110 for light edging w/o buying the edging attachment?

The poly head is ok for medium use but does not work well for edging. The blades also dont hold up very well on brush and are expensive. I just bought some knock-off replacement blades on ebay for less than half, we'll see how they work. I bet if you take the string head to the dealer with ya they can sort it out.

Ok, I reloaded both my Autocut 25-2 heads tonight. This is exactly what I did.

Step 1. Push the 2 tabs in on the sides in order to loosen the bottom.

Step 2. Pull out the spool.

Step 3. Cut 2 6' pieces of trimmer line no larger than .105 inches diameter.

Step 4. Stick the end of each piece into the hole inside the spool.

Step 5. Now start spinning the line according to the directional arrows on the
spool, since the holes that you inserted the line into are angled, the
line is pulled back, forming kind of a loop. Wind trimmer line.

Step 6. Take the now loaded spool and place it inside the trimmer head, there
are 2 tabs inside the trimmer head, push down and twist the trimmer
head so that these tabs "lock" with the tabs on the spool. Once done
the trimmer head and spool should act as 1 piece. Then replace the
bottom of the trimmer head and twist the exposed piece of the spool (the bumper)
until it pops out about 1/4 inch.

The head is now loaded. Fire it up and let the knife on the guard trim the string. Bump the head whenever you can to keep as much line out as possible. I have noticed that line does occasionally get sucked back into the head but its not a huge deal, just restring it, only takes a minute.

I did take pictures while I did this, but they didn't turn out all that well unfortunately.

Last edited:
This is perfect. Thanks Cold_Iron.

I'm heading up to Burlington on Thursday, so I'll swing by Woods and get some more line and fill'er up. It's always scary going there since it is such a candy store!

About how many hours do you get out of a full "load" of line?

This is perfect. Thanks Cold_Iron.

About how many hours do you get out of a full "load" of line?

Good question. Depends. If I think I'm gonna get into the rough stuff, I don't hesitate to put the metal blades on. If I happen to catch a lot of brush or snags, not very long...close in trimming really eats line up fast.

Good question. Depends. If I think I'm gonna get into the rough stuff, I don't hesitate to put the metal blades on. If I happen to catch a lot of brush or snags, not very long...close in trimming really eats line up fast.

Fair enough. I'll check out the blade attachments and get lots of extra line. You ever used the edger attachment?

I've never used an edger attachment. I usually just turn the trimmer 90 degrees and go to work.

I may check out the edger when I get to Woods. I think they are a bit over $100. Thanks for your help.

Make sure that the dealer isn't selling you some cheap junk trimmer line.
What color is it?

You should try out some Gator Magnum line, with the aramid cord inside.

I have noticed that line does occasionally get sucked back into the head but its not a huge deal, just restring it, only takes a minute.

This problem is eliminated by the trick I mentioned earlier. If you run very hot water over the loaded spool, it allows the line to conform to the smaller diameter of the head spool and keeps the line from "poofing up" inside the head which is what causes the suck-back.

This problem is eliminated by the trick I mentioned earlier. If you run very hot water over the loaded spool, it allows the line to conform to the smaller diameter of the head spool and keeps the line from "poofing up" inside the head which is what causes the suck-back.

I usually reload my trimmer heads in the field, so hot water is at a premium :)

I have used the Supercut heads (full auto line feed-no tapping) for over 15 years and they always work great.

Make sure that the dealer isn't selling you some cheap junk trimmer line.
What color is it?

You should try out some Gator Magnum line, with the aramid cord inside.

Hi Fish,

It is the same red line that came in the trimmer. It's from the Stihl dealer. Do you recommend another kind of line for general trimming?

Latest posts

Back