Help with my Stihl 066 please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am finally getting back to my 066 project (S.N. 130808775), new bearings and seals are in, new piston and rings are in, everything else is assembled and I am getting ready to put the flywheel & ignition back on; and I find there are two key ways in the flywheel, one marked "P" and the other marked "X". The saw was so dirty when I took it apart I did not notice, and don't know which keyway I am suppose to use. Looking through my IPL's and the service manual, I can't find any reference as to which is used for this saw. In fact, the service manual says "Model 066 saws have been equipped with digital ingition modules since start of production and their flywheels have only one key slot", however my flywheel part # P+X 1122 400 1214 A has two as noted above.

I assume from looking it over, spinning the flywheel and watching the piston come up that the "X" keyway is the right one, but I would like confirmation if possible.

One more thing, I would like to find the inside spike if I can, but the IPL lists three options: 1122 664 505, 508, and 506. Anyone know which would be correct for an early saw like this?
Thanks,

Mark

Which key you use is determined by the coil you have. I have the 066/064 ignition manual at home that decifers all of this. I would need to know which coil you have though. Is it a redlight coil with the extra lead for the light, which is what Jacob is referring to?

Last edited:
Thanks all

Tzed 250 - I spent the whole morning so far looking through the thread you reference, only find one mention of using the "X" keyway. O.K. I will go for it.

Jacob J. - Thanks for confirming "X", I assumed that would be it based on when the magnet in the flywheel passes by the coil / piston coming up. I never thought about the part number on the other (outside) spike, I'll check into that tonight.

Brad - I'll check the coil number to confirm, but I did copy the ingition service bulletin while looking at the February thread and not sure that I learned anything about which keyway to use. I suppose I am just slow, or need to have things explained more clearly.

On another matter, I really tried but could not convince my wife to let me put any parts in the dishwasher yet. We may have to remodel my older son's kitched this year so I can get his portable to put in my workshop, I already have water and drains available...

Mark

Tzed 250 - I spent the whole morning so far looking through the thread you reference, only find one mention of using the "X" keyway.Mark

I believe the first few pages of the thread I linked to was the thread he was referring to. I was digging for info on coil compatability. You'll find the details for which slot in the pdf file. LINK

Last edited:
I just went back and read that old thread and looked at the PDF file. You have the -1214 flywheel which has two keyways. The two keyways are marked with the respective part #. One of the keyways is marked for the -1209 flywheel which is for use with the -1307 Red Light coil. The other keyway is to be used with both the -1300 and -1311 coils. So, if it's not a redlight coil, use the keyway marked -1214.

I still don't get it...

Thanks Brad, I went back and looked through the old thread again, in your post #79 on 02-14-2008 you have a photo of the flywheel from both sides, looks just like mine and marked "X" and "P" on the keyways.

I still don't understand how you know which keyway to use from that information, or from the 066 Ignition service bulletin. They all seem to indicate which flywheels and coils work together, but don't make it obvious to me anyway which keyway to use.

I think we have established that my older saw will use the "X" position, but I am not sure I could figure out how to determine that fact from the information presented so far.

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Mark

When you look at the ignition manual, you see that there are only two aluminum flywheel part #s used with any of the coils. Your flywheel is marked with both #s. Once you know which coil you have, you pick the keyway marked with the flywheel part # it requires.

Success!

I was able with all of your help to get my 066 back together, used a 25" bar I had from my 036 (really too much bar for that saw anyway). By the way, used the "X" keyway in the flywheel and it starts and runs like a champ.

I could not find any part number on the coil anywhere, the only marks are IILA and Japan.

Well, I have another runner now, need to edit my signature line and find some wood to cut.

O.K. I did not spend all of the time cleaning, repairing, and painting that some devote to their equipment but I want to run this saw a bit while I can, maybe a winter project to make to look more beautiful.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back