Help with new chainsaw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aqua-Andy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is my first post on this site, so please excuse me for asking such a rooky question. I am in the market for a new saw to replace a 30yo homelite. I'm looking for somthing light for limming and small work. I have a 20yo timberbear that I use for felling and bucking up logs, but this thing is HEAVY and I try to stay away from it if I can. I was looking at either a Stihl 210 or250 or a husky 340 or 445. These are the only two brands I have local parts service for. I was just reading that the smaller huskys are actually built by pulan? Can this be correct? Are any of these saws better than the others or are they about the same.

well, they mix and match... compare the 37cc Husqvarnas, Poulans, Mccullochs, Partners etc. and you'll see an alarmingly similar - some would say identical - casing, chainbrake, handles. The colour and the price changes, obviously, as to the rest ... who can say? it's plausible at least.

I use a neighbor's Stihl 021 a lot for "gas savings." It's circa 1994

It's a great saw, but what a pain to work on. It needs to be re-ringed, but I'm not going to waste the time to tear it all the way down. It had a cracked fuel line a couple years ago (reason for sloppy rings) and it takes me about 45 min just to pull the carb out. I'd imagine limit caps on the newer saws would make things even harder.

If you do your own maintenance, go for a higher end model. Twice the price equals six times the quality in the saw world. I have a husqvarna 346xp circa 2004 that runs well, but it leaks gas and oil all over the place. They put the seals on the side of the cap which makes no sense at all...

That's all I know about little saws

If you look at the manufacuter's tags, you'll find the Husqvarna 345, 350 and later 445 and 450s made in Sweden by Husqvarna. The smaller 137 and 142 or whatever are made in USA, by Poulan.

Many of the Stihls are made in USA at the Virginia Beach, Virginia facility.

You can't expect Pro performance and longevity from a "homeowner" grade saw, and any saw, regardless of Pro or not, can be ruined by neglect or stupidity.

Buy the best you can afford, use good oil, premium fuel and keep the saw in a good state of repair, and it'll last a long time.

Stoped by the local hardware store (family owned store not big box store) for some bolts and wandered by the chainsaw display I picked up the 445 and it felt great and well balanced, now for the big BUT, it only has one bar stud and nut:confused: . My 30yo homelite has one nut ant I have never been able to keep the chain tight. I was ready to purchase this saw but thought this was a little cheesy? Do any of you think this would be a problem on this saw or am I worrying about nothing? Or does anyone have any other recomendations in this size saw?

A used saw on craigslist or wherever seems to me to be the way to go. The search thread is good for learning what to watch out for in used saws. That and looking up the availability and price of replacement parts. And it seems to me that having a bigger saw than you need really makes for less work because it cuts faster, so while it's heavier you don't have to hold it as long.
:givebeer:

Stoped by the local hardware store (family owned store not big box store) for some bolts and wandered by the chainsaw display I picked up the 445 and it felt great and well balanced, now for the big BUT, it only has one bar stud and nut:confused: . My 30yo homelite has one nut ant I have never been able to keep the chain tight. I was ready to purchase this saw but thought this was a little cheesy? Do any of you think this would be a problem on this saw or am I worrying about nothing? Or does anyone have any other recomendations in this size saw?

Try to locate a Husky 350 or even 345 - I would also take the 340 over the alternatives mentioned here......

Last edited:

My Makita DCS401 has only one bar stud/nut and stays tight. Some of the smaller Stihls, including the 200 (pro saw) also have only one stud.

As for good saws for not a lot of $$, look in Amick's website at the Dolmar chainsaws, and you'll find the PS-401 for $250 or so. This is the same saw(Dolmar makes Makita) and they have magnesium cases, decomp valve, etc. It IS the best saw for the price. One or more of the other sponsors may have Dolmar, but you'll have to contact them for pricing and shipping.

Also look at the Redmax if/while you're perusing Amick's site. They seem to be getting good reviews.

My Makita came from Ebay. My other Makita DCS540 was a refurb from Toolking for under $200 shipped. The have 6401s and 7900s listed, but always seem out of stock. You'll have to get lucky there...

If you can afford a saw in the $400 range, look at the Dolmar 5100S, Husqvarna 353, or any of the Stihls from 250, 270, 290. The 250 is closer to $300.

small saw

For the size saw you want a 345 Husky would be great. They are very nearly the same power as the 350 for considerably less money. The MS250 Stihl is a pain to operate. I have a Jonsered 2153 and if you don't mind paying more is really the way to go. The 2153 is the same as Husky 346xp, great saw.

445 - Nice 'n light

I have a Husky 445. It's a pleasure to use because it's so light and the anti-vibe is so good. Just feels good in my hands. I can use it all day without getting the slightest bit tired in my hands and arms. The heavier Stihl 290 will eventually tire me out after a long time. The Husky 445 cuts great. The only thing I really dislike is that there's only one bar nut. It has not been a problem though. The chain stays tight. It just irks me that Husky would put only one bar nut on a saw that has plenty of room for two. If you like the feel of the 445, and if that's all that's available, I'd say go for it since I like mine. But if your family owned hardware store can order and service other Huskys, look into a 350 or 353. Just a little more money but more horsepower and the same weight or lighter. My 2 cts.

I was looking at either a Stihl 210 or250 or a husky 340 or 445. These are the only two brands I have local parts service for. I was just reading that the smaller huskys are actually built by pulan? Can this be correct? Are any of these saws better than the others or are they about the same.

I have a Stihl 210... I'd recommend passing it up and getting at least 250, or a saw from a different brand.

The 210 is rated at 2.0 hp, but the 250 is rated at 3.0. So you're getting 50% more power, virtually no increase in weight and not a whole lot more money.

I don't know anything about Husqvarnas, but they do seem to offer more for your money in this range.

Beware of price creep, though... you will soon be thinking that an MS361 is "just a little more money" than a MS260.

Buy small trim saw

Hi,
I have sold hundreds of small echo saws when I was in the biz. I have used almost exclusively echo saws the past 12 years (tree buiseness). In my opinion, there is no other saw in the 30cc to 35cc size with the top handle (can be used one handed) that will compare when the value of the saw is of importance. A comparable saw in Stihl is $500.

One common thing in limbing and climbing overlooked is the ease of starting the saw. Many times you must get in a position to cut that does not allow you to pull the rope far. Echo is known for its easy starting.

The plastic is superior. I have dropped many echos from many trees. You can break them, but it takes quite a blow.

I purchase new or used echos in the 30cc to 34cc size made before the new design. The new design is good, but now echo is gearing to meet fuel standards and in doing so, the carburetion is way off and you would probably need a "guru" to modify it or set it properly. My favorite is the CS3400. Good power, easy starting, long life (expect 2000hrs plus), relatively easy to work on, bars and chains match poulan, 300 psi oiler, balanced engine (low vibration), and on and on.

Expect to pay about $200 on ebay for a new or good used 3400. The cs3450 is the identical saw, but has a different handle requiring 2 hands to operate safely.

To balance it perfectly for limbing, use the short 12" bar.

Good luck,
echoman

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back