Help with tool box for bucket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman75

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking for a box for my bucket truck. I want one like you see on the forestry trucks. It mounts behind the cab and goes all the way across with two doos on each side. I would like to find a used one. Thank you for the help.

I think mine is made by southco. Wouldn't hurt to call them. I would look for a used one though. Call around to all the white washers and used bucket dealers I bet they would have them or at least know where to find 'em.

I think mine is made by southco. Wouldn't hurt to call them. I would look for a used one though. Call around to all the white washers and used bucket dealers I bet they would have them or at least know where to find 'em.

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to find a new or used toolbox. You had some good ideas there.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to get a new headache rack, like you have on your truck for Stubs somewhere? I mean I could have one built, but just buying an original seems like it would be easier and quicker. It might be just about the same price too, I'm thinking. I'm not sure if places like southco and arbortech are the ones that build those too, or not... seems like they probably are. Hmm..

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to find a new or used toolbox. You had some good ideas there.

What I'm wondering is if it would be possible to get a new headache rack, like you have on your truck for Stubs somewhere? I mean I could have one built, but just buying an original seems like it would be easier and quicker. It might be just about the same price too, I'm thinking. I'm not sure if places like southco and arbortech are the ones that build those too, or not... seems like they probably are. Hmm..

I betcha they are. when I bought my chip truck it didn't come with any keys for the tool boxes. I called southco and they sent me some new keys - no charge

Treeman, I might know of one on a old truck. I can check it out later this week to see if he will sell it if your interested.

Those through boxes can be expensive, I have altec on my GMC 6500 dump with bottom storage & a built up headache rack around the top to set things without falling ( alturna mats mostly)..........brand new the same set up is around $7500+, used Ive seen similar for about $2500-$4000 depending on the shape???

LXT......................

Here is a pic of my truck. Pretty sure this body is made by arbortech. I want to put a tool box inbetween the dump body and where the lift mounts. The more I look at it the more I think that it was not designed to have a tool box at all... may have to make one myself. Has anyone seen one of these trucks with a toolbox there?

A headache rack should be a pretty easy fab job..... though yeah if you could find one used that would be the way to go

Those through boxes can be expensive, I have altec on my GMC 6500 dump with bottom storage & a built up headache rack around the top to set things without falling ( alturna mats mostly)..........brand new the same set up is around $7500+, used Ive seen similar for about $2500-$4000 depending on the shape???

LXT......................

I'd be looking used at those price points but that's not an irrational number. Lotta work goes into making those boxes and they sure are handy. I carry 8 saws, gas, oil, half dozen poles, road signs, big shot, 2 saddles, bucket harness, two climblines, 3 rig lines, 2 porty's a half dozen blocks, 2 sets of spikes, 3 hardhats, 4 wheel chocks, 6 outrigger pads, fuel filters, tools, files, wedges, hammer, extra webbing, etc. Sure I'm missing quite a lot and my boxes are pretty full but even if I had to buy new...not having to load and unload ALL that #### every ####### morning and every ####ing time I dump is easily worth 7500 bucks.

Yeah they are pricey but worth it..... I tried to make some toolboxes to put on top of the utility box on my truck. New similar boxes are over a grand new....... mine came out heavy and not waterproof, I am too ashamed to even mount them on my truck.

Making them is always an option.

One of my trucks came with a home made tool and chip box. Sounds crazy but its got a very basic steel frame and is backed with plywood with white coloursteel sheet metal screwed down to it using roofing screws. Looks pretty tidy.
The toolboxes doors are hinged to the steel frame

I haven't found one yet. I have called alot of truck places and truck salvage yards and no one has them. I called southco they want 3200 for one. You would think they wouldnt be too hard to find.

So I have been working on getting a price from southco on the headache rack. I sent some pics of mine last week. They just got back to me yesterday with a price of $2400... plus an estimated $500 shipping. That's painted my color too. Not bad really. I have them pricing the toolbox that's all ####ed up now. Thinking now might be the time to do it, while I can still get original metal for the truck. Might be the start of a color change for Stubs!

I'm probably gonna pay it off this month, so now I'm looking to mint it out.

You've just got to keep looking. It took me 3 months to find mine, I got it off ebay. Measure your truck carefully and know what you are looking for. A toolbox to sut my truck was going to cost me about $4k. I got mine used for $200. It's all aluminum, goes side to side, fits my truck perfectly and has shelves and pneumatic lifters on the doors, came with all keys. In mine I carry 6 saws, climbing kit, all my ropes, all my rigging gear, 3 large lowering ropes, helmets, earmuffs and a crate full of misc crap. It's completely waterproof, very light and works perfectly. I've worked in my younger years as an aluminum welder fabricating plate aluminum boats and truck bodies but I couldn't make something this good. Mine was also powedercoated white and in near new condition.

You're kidding yourself if you think you can make your own toolboxes and have them be light, functional, waterproof and not look as if you made them yourself. I'd built a lot of trailers and truck tipper trailers working for companies and built a few small trailers for myself. I always wanted a tool trailer for all my gear but baulked at the high price ($5k+ for a good one) compared with a similar size box trailer at $600 new. Built my own over a period of weeks which stretched out into months. I had access at the time to a press brake, sheet metal guilotine and all the usual hand tools and welding gear. I had to pay for all my own steel and axles, mine came out weighing a lot, and the shelves, sliders and doors just weren't quite perfect of perfectly waterproof. I spent about $3k on materials to end up with a trailer I couldnt sell for $1k.

Buy good quality used. If things dont work out you can always sell it on.

Shaun

Im thinking about using a mancab from a chipper truck. Has anyone seen a bucket truck with a mancab mounted on it?

Back