Help with tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomstihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am still pretty green in the tree world. I could use some help with identifing this tree
It has a very distinct smell(friend says like witchazel). Wood is light in weight
Has a yellow color to it with deep furrowed bark
Tree is located just outside Philadelphia, PaView attachment 270241View attachment 270242View attachment 270243
I will try to post the pics i took

Hey guys, I am still pretty green in the tree world. I could use some help with identifing this tree
It has a very distinct smell(friend says like witchazel). Wood is light in weight
Has a yellow color to it with deep furrowed bark
Tree is located just outside Philadelphia, PaView attachment 270241View attachment 270242View attachment 270243
I will try to post the pics i took

That may very well be Sasafrass you said it was light Locust is more heavy. Does it smell good like root beer when you cut it? Did it cut fast like pine or did it cut slow and dull your chain?

Last edited:
Looks like Sassafras. Dig up the root, peel the bark off and boil the bark to make tea, sweeten to taste.

Looks like Sassafras. Dig up the root, peel the bark off and boil the bark to make tea, sweeten to taste.

The killjoys out there reported a while back that sassafras tea was a carcinogen, if I remember correctly. Then again, you would probably have to drink gallons a day for years.

Poor wittle rats:(

The killjoys out there reported a while back that sassafras tea was a carcinogen, if I remember correctly. Then again, you would probably have to drink gallons a day for years.

Poor wittle rats:(

Probably the same group that said the world was going to end last weekend.

tomtrees you think Honey Locust? seems more guys were thinking sasafrass

He meant that only honey locusts had thorns. The logs in your pics look like sassafras to me, sure is a good bit of it around here, most of it unkempt. If you are planning to burn it then get it split and dry as soon as you can as it tends to rot fast.

He meant that only honey locusts had thorns. The logs in your pics look like sassafras to me, sure is a good bit of it around here, most of it unkempt. If you are planning to burn it then get it split and dry as soon as you can as it tends to rot fast.

Honey locust doesn't have thorns.

389.jpg

Hey did you guys see any thorns around here ?

Last edited:
Back