Hemlock Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hoping to go back up tomorrow. I try to remember to take the digital camera to get some pics of the area, a couple of the larger trees and my "skidder" (track loader).

Might be a good time to work on your directional felling.

One of the keys to making logging more efficient is to lay out the "strip" so that you fell your trees all in the same direction. Trying to pick apart tinker toys is a PITA.

Also, I'd be careful about using a gravel road as a skid trail unless you can get all but the tip up off the ground. Hemlock loves to embed stones in the bark.

Might be a good time to work on your directional felling.

One of the keys to making logging more efficient is to lay out the "strip" so that you fell your trees all in the same direction. Trying to pick apart tinker toys is a PITA.

Also, I'd be careful about using a gravel road as a skid trail unless you can get all but the tip up off the ground. Hemlock loves to embed stones in the bark.

Good Point about the gravel.

I didn't explain it very well: I'll try again.

There is a main gravel lane that runs West to East through the harvest area.
I currently have to two old staging areas on the right hand side. I will plan to bring the logs from that side to the staging areas. I'll only use the gravel lane for taking the triaxle in and out. On the left side I will have to make new staging areas to keep from dragging the logs across the gravel lane.

Finally, does it take some serious wedging to get a tree like that to fall when it has no obvious lean?

Pictures

My "skidder" (running in the pic) It was 19 F this morning. The loader hasn't been ran for at lease 3 1/2 months.

attachment.php

Clearing out for a 1 acre food plot. Started from scratch. The background is how his area used to look, so thick you couldn't walk through it.

attachment.php

Lane on the left and one of the future staging/landing areas on the right.

attachment.php

A decent Hemlock.

attachment.php

I wouldn't worry, that loader will bring them logs out no problem! And yes, it is also a good time to work on directional felling and bucking. So, the hemlocks to be cut are on the right of the 3rd picture? Nice lookin' loader(skidder). And about the tree, I only use 2 wedges on my directional trees, that I have to fall slightly against lean. Mostly so I don't skin other trees that are staying. And so they don't hang up. Then it's a real PITA. I put a wedge on each side of my strap. Pound each wedge in according to which way I want the most lift. Then cut the strap and away it goes. Wish I had a track loader.:( ;) :laugh: :D

Fellers

Wish some of you good fellers were closer to me.... I dont do most of my felling, I have a feller knock down a few, I limb, buck, and skid those, then have him back.. The guy does most of my felling close to home screwed up his back, couldnt start last monday, so I called a friend/ logger about 45 minutes from here, said he could start me this monday, he couldnt get caught up, said can I put off til wednesday?? Sooo here I am waiting for him to call.. Steve

Looks like an ideal set-up with landings and access.

Wedging a tree with no discernable lean is fairly straightforward, certainly much easier than wedging back against the lean.

felling

The one that usually fells for me around here I pay $20. an hour because I only have him for 2 maybe 3 hours at a time.. The one thats going to start me now said $40. a load.?.. I guess when you figure you have about 4000 feet on the ground its $40... Seems like it would work out about the same.. Steve

I wouldn't worry, that loader will bring them logs out no problem! And yes, it is also a good time to work on directional felling and bucking. So, the hemlocks to be cut are on the right of the 3rd picture? Nice lookin' loader(skidder). And about the tree, I only use 2 wedges on my directional trees, that I have to fall slightly against lean. Mostly so I don't skin other trees that are staying. And so they don't hang up. Then it's a real PITA. I put a wedge on each side of my strap. Pound each wedge in according to which way I want the most lift. Then cut the strap and away it goes. Wish I had a track loader.:( ;) :laugh: :D

Leave a 2" hinge or so and how much back strap? Another 3"? You drive your wedge(s) in before you cut the strap? I gues this would preload the tree for where you want it to go.

Alright, next week is the Eastern Outdoor Sports Show. I promised a friend from Alaska I would help (and I enjoy it) with his booth. His wife is busy with taking care of her mom and he will be alone. If any of you are going to the show, his booth is Alaskan Coastal Outfitters. He is in the same hall as the duck calls, 4 wheelers, other guides, etc.

After next week, I would be open for any who are interested in taking a look at what I have. If it helps making it a Saturday, I can oblige. On request, I can also bring donuts. I have to be careful yet (only a couple of months out of shoulder surgery) but can run the track loader, if need be. The property is located near Duncannon. Bring a saw or just take a look it you would like.

Havent been to that show in years.. I like to go though, its about 2 1/2 hour drive for me.. I was just to that complex about two weeks ago.. Steve

Leave a 2" hinge or so and how much back strap? Another 3"? You drive your wedge(s) in before you cut the strap? I gues this would preload the tree for where you want it to go.

I leave a 3"-2 1/2" strap on big trees. And yes I do pound my wedges before I cut my strap. And it does preload the tree to go where supposed to. Also keeps it from sitting back. :D ;)

Did you start yet PAplumber?;)

Nope. In the last few weeks I have had one offer, and two serious inquiries. If I get a decent offer, I am planning on letting someone else do the job. We'll see. It seems like the people who are serious, want to drop the trees themselves.

Which ever way things turn out, I'll post it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Nope. In the last few weeks I have had one offer, and two serious inquiries. If I get a decent offer, I am planning on letting someone else do the job. We'll see. It seems like the people who are serious, want to drop the trees themselves.

Which ever way things turn out, I'll post it.

Thanks for the reminder.

Let us know how it turns out.;) :D

Well, I met with a logging fellow from a logging family and I must say I am duly impressed. Still too early to say where this will go, but I would feel comfortable working with him. He did drop a couple of large trees just to show me how to read lean and work a wedge. He dropped some of the average sized trees and walked me through one felling.

It is very neat to see someone do this. Also showed me how to sight my saw. This stuff might seem mundane to some of you, but I am from a "Joe" woodcutter family and have not seen this kind of skill in person before.

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and the advice given. Just sorry that I am way too far away to visit.

I use my County which seems to be nearly the same size as your very neat crawler, to push certain leaners. This is done using the loader up as high as it will go and gently pushing. I leave things like headland leaners as these are just too extreme. If you are unsure of your crawlers capabilities, start small and work upwards.

tawilson mentioned slots cut in angle iron. I use this method for smaller sticks and can skid several out this way. I would recommend one slot be big enough to accept a large diameter 10' long choker chain for the biggest sticks. I feel with chain chokers you have more control bearing in mind that cable chokers are usually worked with winches.

If you opt for cable though, be careful with the whiskers that appear no matter how careful you are and always end up making eyes water!

The set up on the County is a 10 ton Cooks winch fitted to the rear, with a pulley attatched to the ground anchors when they are in the rest position. The cable runs over this pulley and enables me to pull difficult to reach sticks towards the machine and then lift them as the cable becomes vertical. The pulley is approx 5' from the ground and will allow all but the largest diameter sitck to be skidded out. (I have options for cable or chain).

These methods are all aimed at skidding the biggest sticks to a loading bay using the least passes over the ground, scabbing none of the remaining stand and presenting the cleanest mud and stone free produce to the mill.
If you do any home milling you will curse dirty timber.
I hope this helps.
codlasher.

Thanks for all the advice.

Even If I don't end up doing this one myself, I still have lots of firewood trees to skid out. I can appreciate the beauty of getting the tree length logs to a landing area to finish cutting and splitting. Sure beats getting the truck and trailer down through the woods.

Back