Here Come the Thieves Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cameras mean getting the law involved. I'd like to avoid that.

Why? Last November, one of our neighbors ripped off our Christmas tree that was in our front yard, while I was moving firewood from the front yard to the back. The dummy drug it through the snow down the street a block and a half then hid it in his garage. I called the cops. Once I managed to convince crime check that even though the tree did not have a serial number, I could still prove it was mine, they sent out two squad cars. We got the tree back. It was too broken up to be anything other than a Charlie Brown tree at that point, but the point was made: you steal, we will find you.

The guy turned out to be a investment advisor for Merrill Lynch and lives in a $400K house. The guy was so freaked out about losing his securities license he ended up dropping off a check for the tree. :p

Occasionally, using the law works. :)

Why? Last November, one of our neighbors ripped off our Christmas tree that was in our front yard, while I was moving firewood from the front yard to the back. The dummy drug it through the snow down the street a block and a half then hid it in his garage. I called the cops. Once I managed to convince crime check that even though the tree did not have a serial number, I could still prove it was mine, they sent out two squad cars. We got the tree back. It was too broken up to be anything other than a Charlie Brown tree at that point, but the point was made: you steal, we will find you.

The guy turned out to be a investment advisor for Merrill Lynch and lives in a $400K house. The guy was so freaked out about losing his securities license he ended up dropping off a check for the tree. :p

that is pretty nice of you to accept a ck for the tree... I guess you too live in a $400K house since ur neighbor. but I doubt I would have been so generous... I would have filed a Theft Report/Action against him, got a formal matter going... police report... then sent it all to Merrill Lynch Personnel Dept, Co Chairman of the Board, President... his Dept Mgr and also to his boss... with a copy to State Attorney General! as a minimum...

he took your tree... I would want to take his job! or maybe suggest he might want to buy the tree in lieu thereof... and the price today is; $2,500.00!

paybacks are he**! :mad:

Had some jerk-off pull up to my fresh cut huge 30" + oak rounds with his small 2wd Toyota PU at 9:30 pm while the wife and I were watching TV getting ready for bed. Heard grunting and loud 'heavy" noises from dead end street on side of house and turned on the outdoor lights. Some 30' something year old meathead, along with 3-4 teenagers had loaded 2 huge rounds into their little truck when when I approached them. They "thought" the stacked 16" rounds were left by a tree company, or something, and that's why they were there in the hours of darkness. We discussed private property, stupidity, armed wood owners etc.... and they decided it best to unload the 300 pound plus rounds and leave. What kind of father brings his kids to a "green" oak round stealing party? The rounds were fresh cut, not spilt and at least a year away from being "firewood". Boggles the mind.

The guy turned out to be a investment advisor for Merrill Lynch and lives in a $400K house. The guy was so freaked out about losing his securities license he ended up dropping off a check for the tree. [emoji14]

That wins WTF award!

LoveStihlQuality

For a scum bag that would steal a Christmas tree it is high time he lose his license. How would you feel about him keeping it if you had an account at Merrill Lynch?

No trespassing signs are more effective if riddled with bullet holes. Jus sayin...

Cameras are a mixed bag. I actually caught a couple air conditioner thieves in the act. Snapped pics of their profile, backs of heads as they ran, their car, plates, everything. Sheriffs deputy looked at said pics, checked out the car in question. But it never resulted in any arrest as the thieves had borrowed the car from his mom. Sure, I'd like to think it may have scared them from coming back. But it never solved anything or helped fix the damage done.

my parents,,have a motion detector with the alarm bell inside the house.....get a few of those set up..anyone comes on to property,,you know it right now...then a few rounds........................................................I live on the edge of town, and have plenty of stacked firewood...the word has been put about,,about stealing from me..the loser cop of this town spouted off to me..he left real quick...trespassing,,with no permission...

For a scum bag that would steal a Christmas tree it is high time he lose his license. How would you feel about him keeping it if you had an account at Merrill Lynch?
Trust me, that episode ruined our Christmas and really ate at me and my wife. While I'll punish adults for misbehavior, I don't want to punish kids. We made our point.

that's where the term: "churning widow's and orphan's accounts today!" comes from. buy/sell... just to make the commissions... high time, indeed! imo, a piece a work! a real pillar of the community...

You folks have some ambitious thieves. Most of the dead beats around here wouldn’t load cord wood if you paid them good cash money to do it. Easier to sit on the couch; watch TV, yappin on a cell phone and collect benefits. Not sure what the situation is with the OP and house but the simplest solution is to not store wood at that location if no one is around to look after it.

Trespassing laws vary by state. If you are going to post your property, check with someone who knows the letter of the law to do it correctly. You probably should also check with your insurance company. The last thing you want is for a trespasser to get hurt on your property and claim damages against you.

No trespassing signs are more effective if riddled with bullet holes. Jus sayin...

Cameras are a mixed bag. I actually caught a couple air conditioner thieves in the act. Snapped pics of their profile, backs of heads as they ran, their car, plates, everything. Sheriffs deputy looked at said pics, checked out the car in question. But it never resulted in any arrest as the thieves had borrowed the car from his mom. Sure, I'd like to think it may have scared them from coming back. But it never solved anything or helped fix the damage done.

>No trespassing signs are more effective if riddled with bullet holes. Jus sayin...

5 more Likes!

Tire irons and bicycle chain to tune em up!

LoveStihlQuality

You folks have some ambitious thieves. Most of the dead beats around here wouldn’t load cord wood if you paid them good cash money to do it. Easier to sit on the couch; watch TV, yappin on a cell phone and collect benefits. Not sure what the situation is with the OP and house but the simplest solution is to not store wood at that location if no one is around to look after it.

Trespassing laws vary by state. If you are going to post your property, check with someone who knows the letter of the law to do it correctly. You probably should also check with your insurance company. The last thing you want is for a trespasser to get hurt on your property and claim damages against you.
F em

LoveStihlQuality

my parents,,have a motion detector with the alarm bell inside the house.....get a few of those set up..anyone comes on to property,,you know it right now...then a few rounds........................................................I live on the edge of town, and have plenty of stacked firewood...the word has been put about,,about stealing from me..the loser cop of this town spouted off to me..he left real quick...trespassing,,with no permission...
Wireless? PM if you have any details on vendors, set up etc. Would like to hook up siren to barn. Thanks Ed

LoveStihlQuality

What about this possibility? Suppose I just ignore this first theft entirely and act like nothing was stolen. BUT, instead of adding onto the stack at the same location, move back about 50 feet to the other end and start another row of logs with my further work, splitting and stacking as usual.

If the same thief steals again at the same location, he will make it obvious to all. Right now, he thinks it's small enough that I would not even notice the loss. If he makes another take, he's suddenly in the spotlight.

WDYT?

Knock on wood we've been pretty lucky.

Someone stole the bumpers from our boat tied to our dock (remedied by stenciling our last name onto the new ones). Had some decoys stolen once (followed very distinctive tracks right to a cabin but no "real" proof for sheriffs to investigate).

You need to get the law involved or it will continue to happen. Game cameras that can take pics at night. Maybe put a few cheapies up in visible locations and hide better ones. I heard of an inside job where a couple guys cleaned out an island cabin. Picked off 8 of the 9 game cameras but number 9 caught them. Sadly they weren't prosecuted considering of the three one was a school principal and one ran a resort who was notorious himself for being a major nark on minor wildlife infractions.

If the road can be gated put in a cattle gate. A simple chain or cable opens you up to liability. Or if you think it's coming spend the night in a ground blind nearby. Nothing like catching them red handed.

You can also do wonders with wifi cameras.

Back