Here Come the Thieves Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, so far it's a rather small theft, but it could grow. If and when it does, I do intend to notify the sheriff, although he is 22 miles away. Meanwhile, I'll try a few other ideas mentioned here. The owner of the property says he also got hit about five years ago. A fence barricade around the stack may be the easiest solution.

I have been following this thread with interest because I have been having this problem for more than 20 years. I was really expecting some body to vent about this problem and was hoping some one would come up with a very cleaver solution. However in current legal situations the laws dramatically favor the criminals. I have two properties that are about a mile apart. I live East of Los Angeles in the mountains, but it is a small community where everybody knows about what everybody does. I have a neighbor that worked for me about 5 years ago and seems to think that whatever I have is his. This thievery stuff has been going on and on. Then there is a family that is full of drug addiction problems.

What I have tried is to lock everything up. That helped, but whenever I leave for even an hour stuff disappears. I have confronted the people many times. but they always say they were just walking through or some stupid excuse. I got a Truth Cam, but law enforcement have not been impressed no matter how many pictures I have. So have been working with a surveillance camera where as if the motion detector detects something it sends the video to the phone. This way you are alerted and have the option to confront with surprise on your side. My thought is with a video there might be a better chance to get somebody prosecuted. Currently cameras and equipment can be bought for under $200, but it takes quite a bit of effort to get the system set up well. If I catch somebody stealing something I will most likely be the one in jail. Thanks

Sad fact on the last line above. Even if I go through the whole legal smear I still lose out as now I have paid for all that got a judgement with no teeth and no hope of anything in return. Be it the guy next door or a corporation ( i've been burned by both over the course of history) Ain't no satisfaction in waving court papers in the air.

Sad fact on the last line above. Even if I go through the whole legal smear I still lose out as now I have paid for all that got a judgement with no teeth and no hope of anything in return. Be it the guy next door or a corporation ( i've been burned by both over the course of history) Ain't no satisfaction in waving court papers in the air.
ex bro in law...won in small claims court,against a dirt bag..at that time,,I was up on vehicles..drove by the guys place,,and a I put a value on his rides...he went to sheriff with values..sheriff give dirtbag 1 week to pay,,or they would confiscate wheels..he paid the next day!!!!

Well, so far it's a rather small theft, but it could grow. If and when it does, I do intend to notify the sheriff, although he is 22 miles away. Meanwhile, I'll try a few other ideas mentioned here. The owner of the property says he also got hit about five years ago. A fence barricade around the stack may be the easiest solution.

Had a friend of mine rented a storage unit. The unit was in the back of the place, there was a fence there, on other side of fence was "the projects" as in section 8 housing and usal mix of characters.... fence was cut numerous times, locks cut, stuff disappears. He was a nam vet and remembered the surprises they had to look out for. I think someone accidentaly left their construction project lumber with nails sticking out of it near the most recent fence cut. The next day, board gone, blood stains, no thievery that night..just posting an anecdotal, not advising anything "illegal"

Of course, might be big rodents in the woodpile, might need some rat traps....

Ha! A lojack device thing hidden inside a perfect looking prominent split....leave the gate open, like a big sign, hey burglars, free stuff this way! hehehehe

GPS trackers are getting pretty small and cheap these days. Robo split can alert you when it's on the move and you can track it to the perps place.

If you don't report the thefts to the law they never happened except in your mind. Many times when the sheriff gets reports of thefts they will increase the road patrol in that area.
And if your county sheriff is not doing any more than paying lip service, contact your county proacuter and file a complaint. There are steps you can take from there ifthey do not do their job they are collecting tax payer money for doing.

:D Al

You could put a trip wire across the road that would alert you to entry then sneak over there and park in the way.
I had a problem with some teen age boys once and their 4x4 pickup. They like to mud bogg down a new developement road I had built. Everytime it rained they like to go sling mud. I caught them going in one day and parked my truck across the exit. Left my truck sitting there and walked back to the house. In a few minutes here they came knocking on the door wanting me to let them out. Nah, My truck, parked on my property, and I like where its parked. They called the law, deputy showed up and demanded I move my truck. Not so fast lawman, My truck is on my property and there are no laws on the books telling me I cant park anywhere i want on my property, those boys are the one breaking the law. Never seen a deputy so piss'ed. Threaten to arrest me and I just laughed and told him it was his job, throw it away if he wanted to. I'll move my truck when those boys show up with some equipment to fix my road that they spun ruts in from one end to the other. It took a while, but one of the boys dad called me and when he found out what was taking place, he was ready to beat the heck out of those boys. We worked it out with the dad promising to bring his tractor and scrape to smooth out the ruts. Those young boys never came back on my property again that I am aware of and my road never got spun and rutted up again. Oh, and dad never did show up to scrape the road, but thats ok, He wont look at me when we meet on the street and thats Ok too.

I had a problem with some teen age boys once and their 4x4 pickup. They like to mud bogg down a new developement road I had built. Everytime it rained they like to go sling mud. I caught them going in one day and parked my truck across the exit. Left my truck sitting there and walked back to the house. In a few minutes here they came knocking on the door wanting me to let them out. Nah, My truck, parked on my property, and I like where its parked. They called the law, deputy showed up and demanded I move my truck. Not so fast lawman, My truck is on my property and there are no laws on the books telling me I cant park anywhere i want on my property, those boys are the one breaking the law. Never seen a deputy so piss'ed. Threaten to arrest me and I just laughed and told him it was his job, throw it away if he wanted to. I'll move my truck when those boys show up with some equipment to fix my road that they spun ruts in from one end to the other. It took a while, but one of the boys dad called me and when he found out what was taking place, he was ready to beat the heck out of those boys. We worked it out with the dad promising to bring his tractor and scrape to smooth out the ruts. Those young boys never came back on my property again that I am aware of and my road never got spun and rutted up again. Oh, and dad never did show up to scrape the road, but thats ok, He wont look at me when we meet on the street and thats Ok too.
Cant believe the cop wanted to get tough with you when there were trespassers present. Takes all types I guess.

One night around midnight I heard a noise in the front of the house. I have a access road to my septic field about 400' long witch comes out in my front lawn. I grab my ruger 10/22 with 10 rounds in it and go on to my front steps. The truck just sits there with the high beams on me for a minute or so. I yell get the h-ll out of here and nothing, so from the hip I put all ten rounds over the top of the truck. I have never seen a truck go down a wood road so fast and never again in the 20 plus years i have been here has it happened again. I also put a cable across the road. O ya i was in my underwear to.

One night around midnight I heard a noise in the front of the house. I have a access road to my septic field about 400' long witch comes out in my front lawn. I grab my ruger 10/22 with 10 rounds in it and go on to my front steps. The truck just sits there with the high beams on me for a minute or so. I yell get the h-ll out of here and nothing, so from the hip I put all ten rounds over the top of the truck. I have never seen a truck go down a wood road so fast and never again in the 20 plus years i have been here has it happened again. I also put a cable across the road. O ya i was in my underwear to.
They may have been preoccupied and didn't notice your presence until you fired. LOL

It's just a shame that everything that we own has to be chained down or locked up now a days. I sound old now but i remember the days when the doors on the house were never locked and the keys stayed in the car. Now we have cctv with cameras all around the house and alarm system to.

It's just a shame that everything that we own has to be chained down or locked up now a days. I sound old now but i remember the days when the doors on the house were never locked and the keys stayed in the car. Now we have cctv with cameras all around the house and alarm system to.
Interestingly enough my dad and grandpa always locked everything up and I am much more lax. They always said "locks keep honest people honest".

Before the logging road was put into my hunting cabin area, I would leave chainsaws and brush cutters unlocked in my lean-to. Can't do that anymore.

no wonder the boys are that way,,dad needs a butt beating also...

Grandpa's saying when dogs in area created problems with livestock. "Shoot straigt, bury deep and keep your mouth shut". Fast forward 2 generations, sister and b.i.l and family live on old home place. Neice and nephews raise chickens, goats and rabbits for 4H. Nearest neighbors had dog that killed a few chickens. Complaints fell on deaf ear. Problems persisted, sheriff called. He knew exactly who the problem was! DUIs domesic calls, check fraud etc. Asked for value of livestock and he would present to them they denied it was their dog. Month later little nephew runs in that dog had chicken in its mouth and growling. BIL comes out with shotgun, dog is menacing, pop. Sheriff called. Livestock bill paid and they eventually moved.

LoveStihlQuality

Grandpa's saying when dogs in area created problems with livestock. "Shoot straigt, bury deep and keep your mouth shut". Fast forward 2 generations, sister and b.i.l and family live on old home place. Neice and nephews raise chickens, goats and rabbits for 4H. Nearest neighbors had dog that killed a few chickens. Complaints fell on deaf ear. Problems persisted, sheriff called. He knew exactly who the problem was! DUIs domesic calls, check fraud etc. Asked for value of livestock and he would present to them they denied it was their dog. Month later little nephew runs in that dog had chicken in its mouth and growling. BIL comes out with shotgun, dog is menacing, pop. Sheriff called. Livestock bill paid and they eventually moved.

LoveStihlQuality
It sucks that an animal has to die because their owner is an idiot but sometimes it is the only way.

My former coworker has horses and had a neighbor lady move in with two pit bulls and felt it was their god given right to do what ever they felt on anyone's property. He shot one that was attacking a horse, she got another one. The he shot another one that cornered him against his building. She called the sheriff and he told her that she had better get her last dog under control. She moved away.

Back