Here comes Ivan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we were on the north side of the eye when frances
rolled thru in the middle of the night and she was
only a catagory 2. there are still parts of the county
w/out power. they're in for a rough ride tonight!!!!
budroe:cool:

Thursday morning report. Landfall was sometime after midnight last night. Looks pretty soggy today. The tornadoes spawned by the storm have been fierce and frequent. Tens of thousands of trees down from what the news casts say.

Stormchasers, remember, down there it is hot and humid. Conditions are tropical. Don't overlook the need for large quantities of water for you and your crew. Who knows the availability of that, especially while power is out. Plan to be self-contained on food and drink for at least a couple days. Take good care of your ground crew. Compassion for the human element will ensure your success.

Tree Down

Hey, Ivan hasn't really even reached me yet but I awoke to a huge, 65'+, Cherry tree down. It was going to fall sometime anyway but I didn't expect it this morning. Years ago fire damaged the side of the trunk. It seemed to start leaning and then I noticed a tension or stress fracture forming on the trunk opposite the damage and the lean. It landed on an old shed that I store fertilizer and other things in. Surprisingly, although the building took a hard hit, it has almost no damage. It's going to be a big clean-up. I was hoping to find someone to remove it before it crushed my building. Anyone around North Alabama need some Cherry? I've got some Oak and others to get rid of also.

Ivan is inland and drenching the land. Winds are down below hurricane level, but still enough to knock down weak trees and take out limbs. This has been an amazing storm.

To all you who have survived it, I wish you well in putting you lives back together.

For all you storm workers, use care, and do good work. Respect those who've lost trees and know that the human-to-human connection will last far longer than the money. Represent our industry well. Be safe.

Here is the final Ivan satellite image. The storm has been downgraed to a tropical depression, and is still so large and inland that even the Tree Machine is feeling the effects. Indiana is far inland, and landlocked, but we're getting winds from the outer bands @ 20-30 mph (30-50 kph).

For those of you in the northeastern U.S. the storm still has a lot of rain to offer. Get set for a wet weekend.

ivan

It's raining here and supposed to rain through tommorow afternoon. We got 3"-5" out of the last one looks like it will be a little less from this one.

We just got 2" of rain, wind gusts of 79 at the RDU airport, all passing through in a few hours' time. A few tornadoes spawned in this narrow outer band of storm. Not a huge event (unless you were in the wrong place at the wrong time).

Rain?

Well, it's still raining and we got 9"+ so far today. The wife couldn't get home, roads are under water. The tops of vehicles are under water down the hill in town. Winds are north of here. Pretty good flood going on outside.

Cleanup, they had about 11' of water in the town square yesterday. Man what a mess, town was still closed off today while they haul off debris.

Last edited:
We had an outbreak of tornadoes around here. We were waiting patiently for one reportedly coming directly toward us from about 10 miles away and then they never mentioned it again! Found out yesterday morning it actually went straight to my buddies house about 10 miles SW of us. Tore his chimney off, shingles and knocked down a couple of his small trees, nothing major.
We went to check it out and try to upright his trees and check out the neighborhood, maybe 200+ trees down, mostly superficial damage to the houses except one that got half the top ripped off. The cool thing was the cops blocked off the streets and the city came in and helped everyone clean up and haul everything away. The woodticks couldn't get in except for last night right after the storm.

I just got back home from working Ivan. My first storm chase was a success. I went to Pensacola, FL. Left Friday after work and the 2.5 hour drive took 8 hours. We arrived at 2:30 am at a hotel that was kind enough to give us free room and bored (a friend of a friend kind of thing). I brought a generator, 3 coolers packed w/ ice, food, 6 gal. gatoraid, 16 gal. H20, 75 gal. gasoline, 25 gal. diesel, tractor, my two strong ground control technicians, and some stihls of course. We only stayed for 3 days because work was calling at home.
The devastation was everywhere. Pick a road and go. People bombarded me from everywhere, stopping me on the road, on a job, at the hotel. Storm work is a whole 'nuther ball game.
My heart goes out to all the people affected by Ivan. Everyone's moral was high and all helped each other. It was good to see that in such a time of vast need people can come together like they do.
I will chase again, oh yes, I will.:)

-Mike-

Toddppm l'm just west of ya a little bit, friend of mine lost his truck and about got killed friday evening in the tornados up here...

RTSI

Eeeek on the truck getting slammed.

Here's an article from Sept 22. Ivan has passed north through the US and exited up in the northeast, all the way into southern Canada, then out to sea and b'bye, right?

This article and satellite image are calling this 'Ivan resurrected'. Hmmmm.

Resurrected Tropical Storm Ivan bears watching in the Gulf of Mexico as it churns toward the upper Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast bearing squally bands of rain. Tides may come up a bit, too, and a coastal flood watches and warnings have been issued for parts of the northwestern Gulf Coast. Showers from Ivan may punch inland Thursday over far eastern Texas, Louisiana and northward up the lower Mississippi Valley. Meanwhile, the southern tail of a cold front may twitch over Oklahoma and portions of north-central and West Texas batting around a few showers or thunderstorms. Only isolated storms and showers will skitter across the Florida Peninsula. Along the east coast of the Sunshine and Peach States, heavy surf, an omen perhaps, will continue to roll onto the beaches as Hurricane Jeanne rewrites its target list and begins an ominous move back toward the U. S. (see Tropical Update).

30 Things Hurricanes Teach Us

1. An oak tree on the ground looks four times bigger than it
did standing up

2. Even after all these years it is still nice to spend time
with Col. Mustard in the ballroom with the lead pipe.

3. When house hunting look for closets with lots of leg room.

4. Water from the shower is much colder than water from the
kitchen sink--and tastes just as bad.

5. AA, C and D are the only alphabet we need ( batteries )

6. The four-way stop is still an ingenious reflection of
civility.

7. Radio can be the best way to watch television.

8. Chain-saw wielding men are nothing to be afraid of.

9. SUV's are the best makeshift tents on the market.

10. You can use your washing machine as a cooler.

11. It's your God given right to sit on your back porch and eat
Chinese takeout by candlelight in your underwear.

12. We shouldn't complain about "useless" tools in the garage--
we actually DO need a generator

13. You can' t spell "priceless" without I-C-E.

14. Downed power lines make excellent security systems.

15. Lakes can generate waves.

16. Gasoline is a value at any price

17. Cell phones: Breaking up isn't hard to do.

18. The life blood of any disaster recovery is COFFEE

19. The need for your dog to go out and take care of business
is inversely proportional to the severity of the storm.

20. Candlelight is better than Botox--- it takes years off your
appearance

21. Air Conditioning: BEST. INVENTION. EVER.

22. Water is a comfort food. But 3-day-old Cheetos are too.

23. Shadow animals on the wall---still fun.

24. No matter how hard the wind blows, roadside campaign signs
will survive.

25. You should never admit to having power at your house in the
presence of co-workers or neighbors who do not.

26. There's a plus to having NOTHING in the refrigerator.

27. Getting through the day should be an Olympic event.

28. The movie theater can be a most pleasant place, even if the
feature is Alien vs. Predator

29. Somebody's got it worse.

30. Somebody's got it better. Obviously, they're getting
preferential treatment.

Not to detract from the hell going on in Fla. but Blacksmith do you live near Inwood? On the way to the track yesterday saw where a tornado had crossed 81 just south of there and another up near Martinsburg.

Latest posts

Back