Hey guys. Keep my father in your thoughts and prayers.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prayers sent. Im hoping and wishing for the best possible out come for your dad, you and your family. Stay strong chuck'r

Prayers sent.

The one thing I am grateful about to this day is when my Dad passed away we got to spend about a week with him in the hospital.He was 91. I'll always value that.Most people don't get that chance with a loved one.

Stay strong my friend.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, thoughts, prayers, and support.

He's finally home now. He was transported home from the hospital the afternoon of Friday December 2nd. We are very happy he is home and he is too. He's in a very weakened state but he is very much coherent and aware of what's going on. He sleeps a lot but he visits with us too. Lot's of family and close friends have been by to welcome him home. As a family we spent most of yesterday evening reminiscing of old family moments, trips, and stories. He laughed quite a bit and told a few stories himself. His appetite (for whatever reason) is back and he's been enjoying some of his favorite things he likes to eat. He hasn't had an appetite since April - the chemo made him lose his taste for food and he hasn't experienced hunger in months.

He still wants to fight. He has no desire to give up no matter what his prognosis is. He's a strong man and he's gonna give this cancer his hardest til the very end. He says "I might as well try to feel good enough to be able to allow my body to accept chemo again - what's the chemo gonna do... kill me...?" Then he usually laughs. I had a nice talk with him yesterday morning in the hospital before they sent him home in the afternoon. It was very emotional, but it was just as beautiful as it was sad. I held his hand and thanked him for being a good dad, for being a great and positive influence on us kids, for being a great honest guy, for kicking my ass when I needed it, taking time from his own life to give to mine, and I let him know I'd never be who or where I am without him and he's been my inspiration to push forward and always try harder. I told him I was sorry he ended up getting sick and has to go through all of this. He cried with me while holding my hand, he said he needs to stay strong for us all, and especially for our mother. He told me what I was doing at that very moment was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. He said he's a son too and he was once right where I was at that moment and saying goodbye isn't easy. I agreed and I just held his hand and cried with him. I've had my whole life and marriage on hiatus since his health started to deteriorate in July to be there for him and he thanked me for that. He said he was proud that I have the strength to venture into the unknown so well. He said he'd do it all over again - cancer, chemo, and all; all because I made this much easier for him than it could have been with the sacrifices I have made. I couldn't do anything but cry and tell him thank you. He's such a good guy, it's hard to watch him go through this and 63 years old is just way too darn young.

Strangely enough though, he functioned and felt better today than he did yesterday. He told us that wants to get his strength back so he can get back on chemo because he has things to do and he's not gonna let some stinkin' lung cancer get in his way. He knows and understands his prognosis, but he told me that it's not over until it's over and there's no reason to give up, no matter what one has been told by a doctor. "They've given many people two days to live and they're still living two or three years later. When I'm gone, that's how much time I will have been given."

And boy does he ever have his sense of humor with him. I don't think I've seen him break everyone's balls so much before. It's good to see him feeling so good at home like this. I honestly don't think there's a better ending.

We're all just glad he's home, and glad he can spend his last moments with us. We're so thankful we can help keep him comfortable and that's what this part of his life is about right now. Whenever the time comes, I hope it goes as peacefully and as smoothly as it can. I'm sleeping on the couch next to him in his hospital bed so I can help him at any time throughout the night, no matter what it is he needs. I've been there for him since he was diagnosed in February and nothing about that has changed.

Thanks again everyone. Your compassion is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Over the last year there's been many GTG's and other events Jason has
missed out because he's been taking care of his Dad, and his parents home.
A lot of time he'd call me and say "Sorry I can't make it, I'd feel so bad if anything happens
to my dad while I'm out goofing off running saws".
And my response was "Take care of your Dad and mom, there will always be more GTG's and
chances to goof of running saws."

I know you and your Dad had your share of arguments and butted heads from time to
time. But you've taken good care of him and your mom, and family is more important
than anything.

Yeah dude it's been tough, but I honestly don't know of any other way I would have handled all of this. Stopping everything on my end so my dad can have comfort is the least I can do for the guy. I wish there was more I could do, but it just can't be that way.

And as far as arguing with the old man - I don't think it's truly father and son if there isn't some kind of head butting going on. I'm not arguing, I totally agree. Find a father and son that have never argued or butted heads, it doesn't make a difference how close close they are. Sons get their inner fire from their fathers. Whether it's inherited, or influenced, or both, all fathers are sons and traits like such are passed down from one to the other....

Jason, stay strong. It sounds like your dad is taking this in the way that will make you proud. I remember the week we huddled around my dad's bed in the hospital while he slowly sailed away. The nurses would come in and just smile when they saw 15+ family members crowded into his room. That was five years ago the coming week and it still feels like yesterday. I know my dad was happy and the memories are with us forever. As strange as it was, he slipped away in the middle of the night with only my mother, and his wife of 60yrs, by his side...the way he wanted it.

Peace and Grace for you, your family, and your father.

GOD is good!!!

Neal

Rest easy knowing you have given your all Jason. It sounds like you have a great Dad, and that he has a Son he can be proud of.

Stay strong my friend.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, thoughts, prayers, and support.

He's finally home now.

That's great news, J. We've been prayin' and wondering how all has been going. Thanks for taking the time and energy for the update. Just don't forget to take care of yourself, and laugh together as much as you can! That always helped immeasurably and meant a lot to me and my dad.

Still prayin'!

Prayers and thoughts are for you and your family.
It's great news he's home where he can be comfortable.
Sounds like your dad is a great guy.
Stay strong my friend.

Lee

Glad to hear your dad is in good humor and you are spending quality time with him. I wish the best for you and your family. Oh yea Merry christmas.

Jason,
sorry to hear.. and yeah it does suck, My mom passed 21 years ago right after thanksgiving... cancer... and this year aug 31 my dad passed. he was 83... I hear ya and know how ya feel... one thing I wish I would have done .. when he was telling stories I wish I had a tape recording it.. but now those stories are gone too. thoughts and prayers to you and your family... they say you can prepare for it.. which is bull####.. you can never really prepare for it.. it hurts either way.
Hang in there.. alot of people are pulling for him and you all...

Hang in there Jason. You have been been blessed with "overtime". I lost my mom just over a year ago, and not a day goes by that I don't think about what she meant to my life. The remark about your dad breakin' everyone's balls is funny. My mom did the same thing. She had her whole family gathered around her, an event that didn't happen that much. In a moment of wit and charm she stated, "I should die more often!" We all laughed, as that was my moms sense of humor. She was gone less than 36 hours later. Think of the good times, and what they will mean to you years on...

Thoughts and prayers, prayers and thought. You've got it bud.

You have a helluva heart, and helluva good guy Jason, I'm sure your dad is very, very proud of you.

63 is quite young, although his efforts as a father are far recognized in this forum (and I'm sure in all of your activity beyond this small corner of the internet), as the personality that you inject into this community is righteously invigorating, welcome, and downright hilarious at times. I've considered switching from a high stool that I sit on to a couch, as to prevent injury from loosing myself while reading some of the stuff you post.

Best wishes, and you being there in the potential final duration of his life is very meaningful, and the right thing to do.

Make the best of the time you have left with him, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Back