Hi. My name is Mark, and I'm a woodaholic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've decided to face it, folks. Can't deny the truth any longer. I am a woodaholic.

There. I've said it. I feel better.

What made me 'fess up?

Well, I got home this evening from a long day's work at twilight. I was tired. Pulled the truck in, and there were the lights of home. (cue the violins) I could see my family at the dinner table. I knew my beautiful wife would have a kiss and a good dinner for me. My children would be glad to see me. My littlest guy would want me to hold him. Out on the deck my yellow lab was grinning and wagging up a storm.

So I climbed out of my truck.....

...and walked back to the wood pile just to admire it, and breathe in some of that gooood oak smell.

THEN I went inside.

:D

Well it takes a big man to admit it..

At least you didn't bring a piece in and make it a place at the dinner table.

now, if only i could get the old lady to be romantic by the wood pile...........

And, there I was at noon doing the same thing after adding another half cord+ to my big stack of mixed hardwoods, waiting to be split. Sun was hot, breeze was gently blowing, both drying the wood together like a pair of magic gods from Greek mythology.

I said to myself, "I'll bet the firewood brothers are out there looking over their work as well."

Then Mark submitted this post. :clap:

Well it takes a big man to admit it..

At least you didn't bring a piece in and make it a place at the dinner table.

Um, does the half dozen left by the stove from last year count? I can touch them from my seat at the table....

:D

Oh man I have to laugh I do the same thing almost every day, I just got the load delivered about 2 weeks ago, every day I get home from work I go look at it, look at the big log pile and also what I have cut and split and take in that wonderful smell. I wish it would cool down a little so I can really get to work on it, they say it's going to 90 degrees Sunday. I have a hard time bringing myself to cut and split until it is at least in the 60's. I start sweating at about 65 degrees doing nothing.

Hi. My name is Steve, and I'm a woodaholic.

I like to cut and split wood like all of us but once in a while I wonder if I'm cutting a little too much.

Last week I set out to cut a load of wood but it took me a little longer than normal. My wife came looking for me and found me next my fully load truck...cutting cookies.

"Why are you cutting those!?" she says

"I dunno" I say...

Admitting your problem is the first step they say

I like to cut and split wood like all of us but once in a while I wonder if I'm cutting a little too much.

Last week I set out to cut a load of wood but it took me a little longer than normal. My wife came looking for me and found me next my fully load truck...cutting cookies.

"Why are you cutting those!?" she says

"I dunno" I say...

Admitting your problem is the first step they say
+! I think even the authorities are on our side. While working on the big logpile today, a cop drove by to check me out (I have a permit to cut there.)

I waved at him, he waved back, and then he hollered, "Carry on! Cut one for me!" Then he drove off.

I guess he must have recognized me, but also he didn't have to give me a cheer. However, he did anyway.

i got a couple cord at my dads split and stacked. its been there 2 years now. i went to admire it last weekend i think it was. now its a ways from the house my dad dont make it back there too often. no real reason to go there i reckon lol. but anyway i was looking at that pile and the other pile i have bucked logs that need to be split. he says see look at that wood thats good burnin wood. when it gets that color you know its nice and dry. the split pile is entirely gray in color :clap: all oak too thats gonna be some of next years burn, i got alot of maple that has to go this winter or alot of its not gonna make it another year i think.

yeah i cut waaay too much i might be into 4 winters now lol. as long as i can keep gettin it im gonna take it. ill definatly use it, hell i always wanted a woodpile surrounding all my property lines anyway lol. who dosent :chainsaw:

I got about 3 more cords of red oak to buck, split and stack this holiday weekend...oh...and I'm cleaning out the stack and stove as well.

Wow, there's nothing like the smell of fresh cut and split red oak in the morning.:clap: I'm thinking this is pure love.

I'll admit I too am a new woodaholic, last year was my 1st burning wood. I burned about 5-6 cord all winter. This year I already have 8 cord split and stack with another cord on it's way. so I have 9 now when I'll only burn 5. Every time I go out and walk the dogs out back I make mental notes of where the good firewood trees are. Its taken alot of will power not to got out and cut them all down. I would but I have no more room for wood.
I also check the wood pile daily.

When our first WA meeting?

hey I do the same. And when I come on this site all what I find is a bunch of enablers. Maybe our wives should start a woodanon group and they might understand us better. I told my wife it was the same as her staring out her flowers and garden.

Problem,......PROBLEM, WHAT PROBLEM!!!!! I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM!!!!! I, I, I, I'M NOT LIKE THE REST OF YOU GUYS!!!!!

Cutting wood doesn't bother me. I could care less about it. Take it or leave it. Just don't say I have a problem like the rest of you guys 'cause I don't.

Well I gotta go now. I've gotta go to Radio Shack to see if I can get enough cable to run this computer out by my woodpile. Come on Husky, you can go with me.

I must admit I am a woodaholic too. The only difference is I call it mikes gym. I told my son he should go to the gym with me some times. He said he didnt know I was going. We went one day and he laughed big time at my gym. I really enjoy the work out myself.

Working fire wood is like growing a garden. You work it and get it all finished the you sit and wait till its ready ( still working a little). Then when the weather is right you try your first few pieces of wood fruit . Nothing like watching it burn after all the work you put into it.

Michael a woodaholic

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back