Hi. My name is Mark, and I'm a woodaholic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty bad!

But.......

Do you recognize pieces you split over a year ago when feeding the stove?

........... do you tell the family about the tree, location and what saw you were using when you cut it?

...........have pieces with interesting shapes hanging from the ceiling in the living room?

Well I don't!:)

I used to stack my real problem splitting pieces in a special place so I could savor the experience of loading them into the firebox. Until I realized this was an unnecessary step since I remember less memorable pieces based on species, location in wood stall of barn, etc.

Now, the only wood that gets its own special area are my kindling so it'll always be accessible and my select stash of apple which is used on special occasions (Christmas, Thanksgiving, guests from away).

I try not to talk too much about the particulars of where and when the wood was gotten since doing so sets me up for my wife to counter, "You can remember that piece of beech came from over in Parsonfield but you can't remember to...[insert gripe of the moment: rinse off your plate, buy the right brand of shampoo I use when you went to Wally World, etc.]

I too spent some quality time gazing at my woodstack upon returning last night. Woodaholic? I can't imagine the prospect of functioning without woodahol.

Last edited:
I
Working fire wood is like growing a garden. You work it and get it all finished the you sit and wait till its ready ( still working a little). Then when the weather is right you try your first few pieces of wood fruit . Nothing like watching it burn after all the work you put into it.

That's well said, Michael. :cheers:

Yep, I am a woodaholic as well. I didnt realize how widespread my problem was until a few weekends ago. My wife mentioned on Friday that we need to go and do something fun that weekend. Later that evening I unconciously began sharpening all the saws, put the charger on the winch battery, etc.
Over dinner I said, "I got something fun to do, lets go cut wood tomorrow."
Dead silence.
My daughter finally got the courage up to say, "Uh, I thought we were going to find something FUN to do?"

Do any of your wives spot wood and point it out when you are driving somewhere......for example say someone has cut a tree down and it's just laying there? Mine does.

Her folks live 6 hours away and had a large pecan limb break off and fall on their house.......she told me about it and asked if I would be interested in the wood since her father was thinking about getting the whole tree cut down. Guess what I said........YES! But we've not done anything about it yet.

She will help me too if she doesn't have too much going on.

It is definitely a disease.

Waylan

My kids say, "Dad, lets go out and do something fun in the yard."
I say, "Yeah, ok, I have a great idea of what we can do."
They say, "Dad, we don't want to go check the wood AGAIN!"

It's become a daily joke in my house.

My kids say, "Dad, lets go out and do something fun in the yard."
I say, "Yeah, ok, I have a great idea of what we can do."
They say, "Dad, we don't want to go check the wood AGAIN!"

It's become a daily joke in my house.

My 3-year old little boy is at the stage in his development where he's learning how to manipulate situations to get what he wants. If I'm on the couch reading or looking at the TV and he wants to go outside to play, he doesn't even ask to go out to play. Instead he says, "Dada, us go and do wood?" I readily agree and out we go.

Sometimes he helps, but usually, once outside, he goes and plays in the holes he's dug or some other such thing.

It's fun to scope out the stacks this time of year when the checks on the butt ends are multiplying and getting markedly bigger. The bark is separating from the split pieces ever so steadily. The odor of oak freshness is fading as the seasoning process begins its downward arc. Soon it'll be wheelbarrow time, bringing it all into the barn, making room for what I'll be cutting and splitting for 2009-10.:cheers:

It's quite an enjoyable cycle, really.

well I guess I better go ahead and admit it too. I am in the process of building another wood shed. I out grew the one I built 6 years ago, and just bought another chainsaw.

I fit about 12 cord in my shed and I am looking into building another shed. I too have a seprate stash of applewood. For smoking and fireplace. Tues I got an apple that had a 15 in base and bout 8 ft log got a face out of that biggest apple I got my hands on. Will post pics next week.

I keep my chaps in my boot room just so I can get that smell in my house. Wife dont like it but I need to get my way sometimes

You guys are lucky to get your daily "fix" of wood. My wood pile is at my mom's farm and since I'm not able get my daily "fix", I have to look at pictures of the woodpile that I have stored on my work computer everyday. Wish they had Scratch-N-Sniff digital pictures. When I am out to the farm, I do a lot of bonding with the woodpile.

Gary

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: I am ROFL I do the same thing except I kiss my wife and kids and go directly to the back yard and stad to my wood stacks and grin... real big. I am a woodaholic and proud of it!!!! I am going to split 1-2 cords of Eucalyptus this weekend. Now, repeat after me "There's nothing better than cutting wood (except sex)..." "There's nothing better than cutting wood (except sex)..." "There's nothing better than cutting wood (except sex)...":chainsaw: :rock:

valleyboy

I too am a woodaholic

Hi, my name is Eric and I have a problem. I walked outside to admire my woodpile 6 times today and cannot wait to start my Treetment. BURNING.

Woodaholic here too, and so much the worse for signing up here.

Wife has become quite the enabler lately...
Her on the phone, " Hey, I"m standing next to a dumptruck, looks perfect for you, should I take the # down?"

Her dropping hints, " You work too hard doing wood, why don't you get a tractor?"
That was a couple weeks ago, today she came home from work, and says, "Well, did you find a good one yet ?"

Well, drove the dumptruck, it was NICE, tomorrow is old tractor/loader test drive, and during the week the kids and I stopped and looked at some used trailers, that can carry the tractor and a big load of wood.

If she really loved me, she'd stop this enabling behavior, since I'll be done getting wood sooner, have more energy, and be available more.....

Well I gotta go now. I've gotta go to Radio Shack to see if I can get enough cable to run this computer out by my woodpile. Come on Husky, you can go with me.

Already got that one figured out.. wireless network with a laptop.. luckily the wood pile is not to far from the house!:clap: :clap:

Her on the phone, " Hey, I"m standing next to a dumptruck, looks perfect for you, should I take the # down?"

Her dropping hints, " You work too hard doing wood, why don't you get a tractor?"
That was a couple weeks ago, today she came home from work, and says, "Well, did you find a good one yet ?"

Well, drove the dumptruck, it was NICE, tomorrow is old tractor/loader test drive, and during the week the kids and I stopped and looked at some used trailers, that can carry the tractor and a big load of wood.

If she really loved me, she'd stop this enabling behavior, since I'll be done getting wood sooner, have more energy, and be available more.....

the easier it is for you to get the wood the more you will cut.

Does your wife have a sister!?

Latest posts

Back