Hi. My name is Mark, and I'm a woodaholic.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap Vangellis...you are the master of your domain!

Please do me a personal flavor and use some of that cherry for barbecue!!

Golly Jim, if that got the juices flowing, heres a shot of last years heat. Mostly black cherry.

woodpile.jpg

Most of this years black cherry was from tops left from logging on a property right up the road. I got lucky on that one.

Kevin

I like to cut and split wood like all of us but once in a while I wonder if I'm cutting a little too much.

Last week I set out to cut a load of wood but it took me a little longer than normal. My wife came looking for me and found me next my fully load truck...cutting cookies.

"Why are you cutting those!?" she says

"I dunno" I say...

Admitting your problem is the first step they say
:) :) :) :) :clap:

Any complaints?

My family is also telling me that I've got a problem. They are concerned that the sight of the woodpiles surrounding the house is unsightly to the neighbors and neighborhood. I'm of course taken aback. I mean, my beautiful piles beat the concrete Chinese lantern in the front yard, without a doubt, right?
My neighbor down the street says "we hear you chopping wood" repeatedly when she ****-chats with me. It's not like I split wood too long after dark. (Hey, its cooler in the evening...don't they mow after dinner too?)

Anybody here (residing within city limits) getting actual complaints from the neighbors? I'm not giving up my wood. No how, no way, and that's the end of it!

My family is also telling me that I've got a problem. They are concerned that the sight of the woodpiles surrounding the house is unsightly to the neighbors and neighborhood. I'm of course taken aback. I mean, my beautiful piles beat the concrete Chinese lantern in the front yard, without a doubt, right?
My neighbor down the street says "we hear you chopping wood" repeatedly when she ****-chats with me. It's not like I split wood too long after dark. (Hey, its cooler in the evening...don't they mow after dinner too?)

Anybody here (residing within city limits) getting actual complaints from the neighbors? I'm not giving up my wood. No how, no way, and that's the end of it!

Nope. My closest neighbor heats with wood. They get theirs split and delivered, but they're on board.

My other neighbor thinks of their move to our way of the world as "gone country" and sometimes look askance at stuff that's noisy. But they sure appreciated my cutting up a pine that fell in their yard a few years back to get it off their lawn.

The neighbors down the street have a shooting range well behind their house but still very audible. No flak from them.

Keep piling up that wood. And while you're at it, hang some laundry on an outdoor laundry line. Have the missus puff on a corn cob pipe while she's at it.;)

I live in a small rural community (pop. 4200) and there are many people in town and have wood piles by their homes. Most of the wood piles are neatly ranked either behind or to the side of their homes which is nice. However, one of my neighbors has his wood thrown into a big pile in front of his house. He lives on one of the main routes through the town and think his place looks disgusting. The wood pile along with all the other junk scattered around his house makes for a safe harbor for mice and other rodents. Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of wood piles as long as they are neatly ranked in the city limits. Just my opinion.

My wood piles are stored inside so my neighbors don't even see it unless the garage door is open.

Gary

I live in an old suburban neighborhood where the lots are between 1-2 acres. (that should let you know how old it is) Every house, except the few new McMansions just built in the last year or two, has a fireplace, but apparently I'm the only one that cuts wood. My neighbor was so distraught by my pile of logs before I could get them cut and split she had her son erect a fence just long enough to hide the pile from her view. :dizzy: A permanent solution to a temporary problem. :dizzy: I'm not mad though, I wish more people handled their hang-ups that way. She had sense enough to know that it was her issue and not mine and so rather than pester me about it (She's never even mentioned it) she took steps to correct HER problem. That's a good neighbor; even if eccentric. Another benefit of the fence is that it gives me a place to stack a couple of cords that I wouldn't have - because I try to be a good neighbor - used. Like some others on AS I'm running out of stacking space and putting up the fence is almost like letting me stack it on her property. :clap:

I got a lot of complaints last winter from my neighbor living on the hill. We used to be good friends until I got sick of him borrowing everything from paint, caulking, gasoline, etc and told him that I am not a hardware store. He then took to calling down here everytime my splitter ran after 7pm. As a relegion I would shut down promptly at 9pm, but that wasnt good enough for him. He complained about the noise, the lights on in the back of the shop, etc and I had more than one visit from the local sheriffs office. We have no noise ordinance here, and we live in a fairly rural area so the cops just showed up because the idiot called. If I didnt have any other neighbors, I would START splitting wood at 9pm.

woodaholic..I don't think so

I am a single guy with a springer spaniel. I have a HUGE 1300 square foot house that I was born and raised in..at 32 that isn't old but I have lived in the city my whole life. I helped harvest wood in my younger days with my laid to rest father with his hotrod mac 110 p.o.s. Burned in the old burner for a year..cracked the plaster on the walls. thought it was time for an upgrade. The woodburner we had was an old coalstove out of the caboose of a train. my neighbor used to work for conrail. gave that to the neighbors and bought an airtight and put all new pipes. As the sig shows.. I have 3 professional saws and really need one. I have a climbing rig with 150' of high vis orange rope and tree spikes. No rigging equipment....yet... have done numerous favors for neighbors and word of mouth. trying to teach my dumbars neighbor with his pullon and pullon...I mean poulon how to notch and fell a tree..had a 12 foot crabapple tree on the corner of the house...roots growing into porch footer..offered for him to come over to show him the proper way to notch and fell...drew him a sketch..waited overnight...came over next day...leaned it right back into the gutter...damn neighbors..have to bang that back into place.. teach a man to fish he will eat forever...hopefully I made a difference

i must admit

I must admit it too, im so bad off that i bought a skidder, looking for a conveyor and a dump truck. I have too much for my home for the next few years,its not even my house, i still live with my parents. LOL so now im doing wood for others! i have a few hundred cord lined up already, and i only started looking for free wood this week! its only monday.
im so bad that even my girlfriend points out nicely stacked piles of wood! gotta love her!

Latest posts

Back