Hitch Climber, friction hitches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plasmech

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now that the Hitch Climber device (treemagineers) has been around for a couple of years, I am curious to know how well it has caught on. I own one of these devices and really like it. How many of you pro's out there use one?

Actually, the main focus of my post is to figure out what people's feelings are on the optimal friction hitch for use with the Hitch Climber. I have used the VT with it and while the VT is a great knot in terms of never really getting stuck and requiring a lot of force to get the rope to run through it, it seems to me like one of the higher maintenance knots that, if not looked after sufficiently during the climb, can set the climber up for a more rapid-than-desired descent. I don't know if it will free-fall a climber, but I know it's a very fast friction hitch. Hoping to get some feedback on this stuff, thanks!

-Plas

I've been using the hitch climber for a few years now. I started with the VT and moved on to the Distel. I like the Distel better because as you've said it requires less looking after while you're trying to concentrate on ten other things at once.

Really liking the hitch climber pulley system. I use a VT but only with selected cord and climb-line combos. Currently it's Marlow viper spliced 30" eye2eye on a Samson Arbor master line. Grips reliably when ascending and releases with fingertip control for positioning and short descents. Loving how smooth it is. If it's a different cord and climb line it's usually a distel. Distel can grab and be harder to release compared to VT, but yes the VT is what i would call a more advanced hitch as it requires more attention in tying and dressing and then checking while climbing. I have also tried a 5 wrap Michoacán with an eye2eye, and it was better than the distel in my opinion, but not quite as smooth as the VT. I recommend it though as it is much more forgiving than a VT. Try out something different like the Michoacán and see what works best for your hitch cord and climb line combo.

Back