Hold head in shame

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianlol

Do u see, chainsaws are not just for trees lol
Reaction score
First comeback ever:(
I had a damb pin clip come out of a new piston:dumb2:and tore up the cylinder. I remember checking the clips after installing themimage.jpg
So u know I'm trying to understand why this happened. I made a habit to turn them the opposite way after installing to make sure there in. Has this crap happen to anyone else and what caused it. Right know I'm sipping on beer to help swallow my pride. Lucky for me I had an other cylinder and piston but what do I tell the customer? Lololol that I'm a F up
lololol. Or a stupid story. MAN I'm sooooo pizzzzzzed off:dumb:

Husqvarna 576xp
Genuine clip

Pay careful attention to the clock position of the opening. I have had good luck having it at 12:00or 6:00. Ive been told it has something to do with piston speed closing them up from the g's and popping them out. Ive also heard detonation can rattle them out too. If the clip is stamped flat/square style they will have a sharp side and a rounded side like a flat washer. Those i put the sharp side facing out and in the same clock position

Pay careful attention to the clock position of the opening. I have had good luck having it at 12:00or 6:00. Ive been told it has something to do with piston speed closing them up from the g's and popping them out. Ive also heard detonation can rattle them out too. If the clip is stamped flat/square style they will have a sharp side and a rounded side like a flat washer. Those i put the sharp side facing out and in the same clock position
Pleassssse show me the what u mean by 6 o'clock & 12. Do u mean the openings? That would make sense if the springs r set vertical the RPM's would close them up if there week.
I would have never to think that would have enough g force to close them.

I saw a Husky 480 with a clip missing, as far as I could tell it never had one because there were no marks from the clip getting caught up anywhere, but there was a bit of a gouge on the cylinder.. surprisingly it wasn't bad, and the saw runs pretty good even with the mark... the gouge doesn't reach far above the exhaust port, so when the rings 'see' the gouge the cylinder pressures aren't too high.. not ideal, but since you can't get new 480 cylinders you gotta make do with what you got

I've wondered what causes this. Maybe the clip broke, was the clip still in one piece? I've also noticed on average the pin only fitting one direction and from one side of the piston without needing pressed in. Maybe the tighter fit causes too much pressure on the clip while in motion?

Im sorry i dont have any pictures of the clips. You have the right idea tho. Plus spining the clips into position give you a chance to feel how they are seated. I hope that helps. Im sure google would show some clip locations also.

Thank bro.
I do spin them every time I install.
I've made that a reflex after getting them in that's why I was so mad that it happened lol. It felt like someone tried to trip me lol.

Glad i was of some help or reason how thew could have popped out. R&D and failure analysis is one of my jobs and a passion of mine. Good luck and as always enjoy your time cutting wood.

Back