Holy Grail of chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madrone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm hoping somebody can confirm or deny with these pics that I came upon a loop of Stihl 1/2" chisel chain. The 1/2" pitch I'm sure about, the chisel part I'm not.

I'm not into racing but I do know that this is very sought after for all those hotsaw hotheads.

If so, can someone point me in the right direction of what 134 DL's is worth. All cutters are in about the same condition which is oily, but barely used.
:cheers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
That certainly looks like Stihl 1/2" chisel... it's too worn already for reliable hotsaw use though. The drivers and bottoms of the tie straps are already beat-up. The hotsaw guys (ones that know what they're doing anyways) want new-out-of-the-box chain to modify.

I hate "value" questions on a forum like this! :censored:

Well Troll, I'm not sure where the "Value" forum on the AS site is.:)

I don't have a use for 1/2" pitch and hate to see it laying around.
However, those that want to buy it would like to know what I'm asking.
Ain't nothing up on E-bay to check it with.
So I only have you good people to help me figure out it's worth so I can create an edjumacated and fair price for it.:cheers:

If it was new 3-6$ per drive link would going market value, in current condition put it on ebay see what it brings.

Well Troll, I'm not sure where the "Value" forum on the AS site is.:)

I don't have a use for 1/2" pitch and hate to see it laying around.
However, those that want to buy it would like to know what I'm asking.
Ain't nothing up on E-bay to check it with.
So I only have you good people to help me figure out it's worth so I can create an edjumacated and fair price for it.:cheers:

Ok, I was a bit "fast and furious" - sorry about that! :cheers:

E-bay probably is the right "forum", as someone else said!

Last edited:
The "holy grail" depends on who is looking for what chain. That chain is used up pretty good. I'm not sure if I would run it on my saw, but I would keep it around for parts. Are you going to sell it or just wave it around in front of us?:)

I feel like the Holy Grail is the half inch chain that I have AND someone who knows what they are doing filed it.

Some have said they prefer Oregon chain for racing as the cutter takes shaping more effectively than Stihl, but I don't know.

It is half inch, and that is hard to come by.

Chain looks pretty good to me, But dont know what a hot user would want...

It's been thrown a few times. You can see the backs of the drive links are bunged. A hotsaw user in real competition is going to need a brand new chain, since they modify them heavily. The chain needs to be as absolutely strong as possible. This means no bunged up drive links or tie straps, no rust, no pitting, etc.

It's been thrown a few times. You can see the backs of the drive links are bunged. A hotsaw user in real competition is going to need a brand new chain, since they modify them heavily. The chain needs to be as absolutely strong as possible. This means no bunged up drive links or tie straps, no rust, no pitting, etc.

If you go just a liiiiiitle too far modifying a .404 chain for a 250 cc bike saw you can turn an 88 dl chain into more than 88 pieces. Please don't ask how I know that for sure. :cheers:

Andy

nobodies bidding yet?

I bid $2.75 per link. I want eight links from the middle. Must be THE EXACT MIDDLE. I'll know if you don't give me the ones in the middle. Last guy said I wouldn't know...well I knew let me tell you . I knew.

Latest posts

Back