Home Depot 6401,20in. bar rental...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseldriver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Decent shape with a new chain.They want $250-Good deal???Has anybody bought the parts to make one RED?How much would it cost?Thanks

Decent shape with a new chain.They want $250-Good deal???Has anybody bought the parts to make one RED?How much would it cost?Thanks

7900 top end is around 180~220 depending on where you get one as for the home depot saw if it is in good shape it is worth 250...:)

well if it is blowed up you can take it back. with the 7900 top end going for 2 Bennie's and the cost of steal ms460 $869 you do the math!

:jawdrop:

Does home Depot honor the manufacturer's original warranty for a rental. I could of had one for 200, but the understanding to my knowledge it was as used equipment?

I bought mine for an undisclosed amount below what they wanted in violation of policy.

You can have the tech bring up the amount of rentals on the computer as well as the repairs the saw recieved. Between the two you can get an idea of the saws history, if its solid its worth 250 all day. No warrantuy bought used as is, so try to get the tech to research it, grease his palm a lil if need be.

The saws cut great at 65cc's and rip at 80.

Mines apart on the table gettin ported as I speak, I gotta go get some lil files and stuff.

:chainsaw: The girl was VERY nice to me.I went home and call a few other HD's and was told they sell those saws as soon as the For Sale sighn is on them.So i call her up and ask to hold the saw.I said do you want my name,she said "No i remember you" and discribed what i was wearing(hell i even had to look at the colors!!!)She said i'll be here 'til 9pm.Then she says "I'll give you a better price also".So i zip back and she says $184.50 plus tax!She also told me that was the "Nicest one they sold".It has a new bar and chain(junk or not???)As soon as i got home a cut down a tree about 12in. in diameter.VERY FUN!!!This saw RIPS!!!I've never ran a saw like this before.It runs 110%,like it's efi.I'm VERY happy so far.I want to mod it,but it runs so PERFECT!.

Home Crapo sells these saws every two years no matter if they're worn out or just like new. I wouldn't hesitate buying one. They spend most of their life sitting on the shelf. When they get rented it's typically for a small job. When they come back to the store they get serviced pretty good.

Besides these saw are built like brick sh*t houses.

My only concern would be if someone runs out of mix and uses straight gas to finish the job. In that case you have a good excuse to transform it into a 7900.

The guy who serices the saws told me they put on a new chain and a new air filter every time it comes back.It also had a big sticker on it telling about the fuel mix.(hope people read it!)What a nice smooth,rolerized saw!Especialy compared to the older stuff i've ran in the past!

I was at my local Home Depot today. They didn't have any of the 6401's for sale. The did have a couple Echos, a Wild Thing and I think a Ryobi.

Last edited:
$184:jawdrop: . I'd send an email to HD thanking this associate for her help and consideration.

I wouldnt, they arent suppossed to haggle really.
Wouldnt wanna get her in trouble.

The stock 20 inch bars alright, I had to dress mine but it cuts ok. The saftey chains the give you are semi chisel with the saftey links so at best if you grind the saftey links off its only semi chisel. Im pretty sure the bar uses a 72 link chain but .375 stihl full chisel is what you wanna run.

If you think the saw rips now, wait till you put the 7900 jug on.

Last edited:
Home Depot #6401

I bought one, $225 with extra chain. I opened the muffler up and put a 28" bar with semi skip chain. Seems to work well.

I have several chainsaws but I thought this deal was too good to pass up. rick

Hd 6401

I got mine for $185, they said they had them for sale for a week and nobody showed any interest so they dropped the price. They had 2 but I only had the cash on me for one and my wife was giving me the evil eye anyway. I'm still kicking myself for not getting them both.

I'll give you guys a tip.She showed me the paperwork from HD headquarters.The $184.50 price comes from the top.They start out at like $300- usually then go down.If you see one for sale you can basiclly demand it for the $184.50-!That's what HD sells them for,anthing over that is the store manager trying to make a profit for his store.I thought you guys would like to know that.Ssshhhh! you didn't hear it from me ;)

There was an older guy there the first time i was there (the girl was also)The sighn said $299- but he said i'll give it to you for $250-that's when i posted here about the price.I offered him $200- and he laughed at me and told me the prices were non negotiable.Look who's laughing now!:clap:

Heads Up:

The Home Depot in Beaverton, OR off of Murray has 2 of these saws left and they're marked down to $184.50. They look decent. (they did have 3 :) )

Back