Home Depot 6401,20in. bar rental...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a good deal. ive been successfull myself in getting used saws that run great, but not from home depot. i dont have any around me that rent. the nearest one is about an hours drive from me. my question is why dont they sell the makitas new in the store? when i go in its always the low end Husqvarna and the crap mcculloch saws. nothing good, or for a good price anyways.

Good job Ddriver

I purchased one on ebay for 160 bucks a little over a month ago. I love that saw. I think it might have been a HD saw and the guy wanted a quick turn around. It came from Florida, and the bar was shot, and there was no chain. I put on a new bar and chain. Mine had the oil er turned off, and it was a while before I figured that out. I didn't hurt the bar or chain, but it was close. I was cutting 2 or 3 small cuts and then piling waste limbs so it never got hot. I have been so impressed with this saw that I am having second thoughts about going to 79 cc. I have the jred 920 for the big stuff and this cuts so well at 64 that I just can't justify the extra bucks to get the new PC. I have never run the fabled 361, but I can't believe that it will outcut the 6401. I hope you like yours half as much as I like mine. For the money this is one hell of a saw. JR

They do sell the Makita 6401 for $479 :) . If your store doesnt carry it, perhaps they can special order it. I dont know what they sell for elsewhere.

Probably. It's a gamble either way, as the saws are sold as is, where is, no returns, no warranty. I've purchased a few, some for myself and some for others, with various degrees of success.

They say that but I guarantee you that they'll make it right. They'll either repair it, swap it out or refund your money if it's within a few days. What they don't want is you to return it in a few months/years complaining about this or that.

I checked mine out tonight and it's like new. The cylinder and piston is perfect. The air filter is like new. The spark plug is perfect. They even gave me a brand new chain. I bet it sat 99% of the time on the shelf and then got used 1% of the time and then got immediately serviced. I bet the 1% use was a homeowner cutting down their windblown 6" poplar tree.

At $184.50 this is a great deal and probably a better and safer deal then most of the worn out crap on Ebay.

Last edited:
HD makita

I just got me a 6401 with a blown piston for $100 at my home depot they still have one more the bars looked really good and the chain looks brand new. I ordered the 7900 kit to upgrade it. it should be here tomorrow. not bad for a total of about $300bucks :clap:

You should take her out for dinner or something for giving you such a good deal!! Just make sure to take the chainsaw with you just in case the wife finds out:crazy1:

And that chainsaw maybe the only thing keeping you warm this winter. :love1:

Have the wife pu a gift cert. to a nice resturant so you can give it to her, then if she offers to go dutch w/you - reread the first line. :bowdown: :bang:

Back