Home depot 6401 makitas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMurph

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm sure people been asking this alot. i cant seem to find to much info about them. what things should i look for when buying a h.d rental saw?? i think i should be able to get one for well under 200. im fairly new to saws any help would be good. maybe it might not even matter as long as it runs for that price. thanks
nick

I'm sure people been asking this alot. i cant seem to find to much info about them. what things should i look for when buying a h.d rental saw?? i think i should be able to get one for well under 200. im fairly new to saws any help would be good. maybe it might not even matter as long as it runs for that price. thanks
nick

personally those box stores all they are interested in is selling the product they dont believe in Service after the sale trust me you be better off going to the nearest saw shop that is trained in service and parts and sales

they are a Dolmar 6400. Same saw except for the color and badges. Good saw. Start it and run it a little. Its worth that easy. You can put a 79cc top end on it or a Chi-com 84cc top end and have a bigger saw same weight.

Normally they start out priced at $225 or even $250, and then if they don't move they'll go down to about $180. You can request (and if HD employees are willing) you should be able to get the rental log and service records for that particular machine.

Obvious points to check
-overall condition
-operation of switches
-condition of air filter element
-oiling, leaking oil.
-P&C to the degree possible

If they'll let you pull muffler and look at piston edge. Bring a compression gauge if you have one or access to one.

From what I understand they wont sell a saw that's totally trashed; they're not really out to scam anyone.

they are a Dolmar 6400. Same saw except for the color and badges. Good saw. Start it and run it a little. Its worth that easy. You can put a 79cc top end on it or a Chi-com 84cc top end and have a bigger saw same weight.

that's what mine is...

if i pull the airfilter does that tell me anything. sounds good the info you guys are giving me. can i get makita parts for it are there places that work on them. i plan on putting a b b kit in it. havening someone do it thanks keep um cominng

if i pull the airfilter does that tell me anything. sounds good the info you guys are giving me. can i get makita parts for it are there places that work on them. i plan on putting a b b kit in it. havening someone do it thanks keep um cominng

I mean if the carb throat is FULL of sawdust and there are holes in the air filter that's probably not a saw you want to buy...it's my understanding that with the rates HD rental charges they can afford to replace a lot of parts pretty regularly.

I mean if the carb throat is FULL of sawdust and there are holes in the air filter that's probably not a saw you want to buy...it's my understanding that with the rates HD rental charges they can afford to replace a lot of parts pretty regularly.

yeah the ones ive seen look clean but im sure when they get them back they clean them up.

I bought a Makita 6401 from Home Depot a while back. This particular store I went to had at least 21 units sitting on the shelf ready to rent. So needless to say they must do a lot of rentals.

I was given the choice of a few different saws to choose from. The manager printed out a rental history for the saws. But in the end, I chose the saw with 28 rentals verses another unit that had 21 rentals. My saw had a lot more compression than the others I looked at.

I now have about 5 hours on the saw and it has been flawless. I dumped the cheap bar and chain and bought some decent stuff. What a huge improvement!

Check the saws closely and be sure they have lots of compression. Pull the starter cord on a newer model and compare it to the saw you are looking at. You should be able to make an informed decision after that.

Good point MarylandGuy. An easy way is to do a "starter cord test" if you dont have the right compression tester. What ya do is hold the saw by the starter rope and see how fast it releases the cord as the saw drops. Compare that to a new saw. The slower the better. Its kind of a rudimentary test, but it works ok.

thanks ill be doing that i have to write all this stuff down so to remeber. would it matter if chain brake is on or off.

I bought a Makita 6401 from Home Depot a while back. This particular store I went to had at least 21 units sitting on the shelf ready to rent. So needless to say they must do a lot of rentals.

I was given the choice of a few different saws to choose from. The manager printed out a rental history for the saws. But in the end, I chose the saw with 28 rentals verses another unit that had 21 rentals. My saw had a lot more compression than the others I looked at.

SNIP

Some guys have all the luck. I watched for a year before I saw one for sale, and it was the only one so I snagged it. I think they're a good deal if you get one of the good units or if you intend to put a bigger P/C on it anyway. 50% of retail for a used saw that's been passed from one probably ignorant user to another isn't quite as good as the same price and same saw from one careful owner, but they certainly are good, tough saws. I've got no complaints about mine.

Brake won't matter, the saw will be turning too slowly to engage the clutch.

Jack

Some guys have all the luck. I watched for a year before I saw one for sale, and it was the only one so I snagged it. I think they're a good deal if you get one of the good units or if you intend to put a bigger P/C on it anyway. 50% of retail for a used saw that's been passed from one probably ignorant user to another isn't quite as good as the same price and same saw from one careful owner, but they certainly are good, tough saws. I've got no complaints about mine.

Brake won't matter, the saw will be turning too slowly to engage the clutch.

Jack

Picked up one Friday. Only one in town. $205 plus tax. Compression is 180. Has Makita bar and 3/8 safety chain. Just ordered HD air filter kit.

Hmmm... The CAD bug has the number of HD 30 mi away progammed into my phone:givebeer:.

You guys really are making me think this is a good chase. Or :censored::jawdrop: I just like saws.

Got to do a little cutting today. It was very nice.

new owner of a used H.D 6401

thanks guys i picked up a 6401 today. it was 205 plus tax. im planning on getting atleast one more maybe 2. three days to find one thats a record. othquestion i have is to buy a big bore kit or send it to someone to build it up. anybody know off hand about what it costs to have some one build it up or what you call it. or put the BB kit in first then send it off. or send it off and dont put a BB kit in it. thanks for the help. im bringing it to the grantsburg GTG in march.
nick HuskyMurph

Is the p and c kit a do-it yourself project with little saw work experience? And also, do the Makitas have the same cylinder lining as the Dolmars?

Back