Homelite C series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice Mr. Bow Saw fine examples of the c class saws. first one i remember was about 4 years ago. a buddy had a nice c-5 that was his fil's. but when his wife would get mad at him the fil would come get the saw. it was near christmas and he needed a saw so i carried my extra 288 out there and let him use it. he had asked me to start lookin for him a saw so i thought i would give him the 288 for christmas. i seen him the next week and asked how he liked the 288. he said it was nice but wasn't a c-5. i came home that nite and got on the bay and found some. bought a fine c-52 for him that looked almost new and he got it a few days before christmas. thought he was goin to cry on me. i think i was as happy as he was. a few weeks later i got 1 for myself and now own several. i now have 3 c-5's and a c-7 parts saw. good saws in my opinion lots of brute force and sometimes that is better than speed.
jnl :blob2:

Good story and Rep for you! Don't forget the sound though :cheers:

Was your C 5 made in the US?
Lawrence

As far as I know, yes. I do have an XL100 series Homelite made in Canada at the Terry Machinery plant. It uses the odd "Land" style piston ring right at the top edge of the piston. Never seen another like that.

soccerhalloweenscouts043.jpg

Heres a couple pics of my Cs Just picked up the 9 and it is very low mileage and clean.
soccerhalloweenscouts046.jpg

The c51 was the roughest saw Ive ever had, but it ran great. I did a cleanup and repaint and its fun to get it out on occasion.

Last edited:
As far as I know, yes. I do have an XL100 series Homelite made in Canada at the Terry Machinery plant. It uses the odd "Land" style piston ring right at the top edge of the piston. Never seen another like that.

John, my C9 was made here in Canada,also at the Terry plant in Montreal I think.
Lawrence

Polardoo

Nice saw's! So thats what the C9 looks like with nice paint. how does it run.does it have a lot of grunt?
Lawrence

Thanks guy's, those are some nice pics. I like the red and green paint on the C-9. The one I saw sitting looks pretty ratty so unless I can get it real cheap, like 6 pack cheap, I'm gonna let it go for now and try to finish the 2 I'm working on now. I've got my cousin checking the farm auctions for me and all my friends know to keep there eyes open. Thanks again, Joe.

My c9 seems to run great but I havent put it to wood yet, just havent had the time. The c7 runs good but its not pretty in the muffler hole. They are a treat to run, start easy and idle all day. The nice thing about a heavier saw is once you start a cut, they just kinda do their own thing, more like a passenger than an operator.

Here is my C5. Needs TLC. Compressions good enough to run, has either fuel delivery or vacuum leak issues. Makes you ears ring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My old friend here that I get parts from sometimes just got an old C5 like yours going again a couple weeks ago. It starts and idles fine but falls on its face when he opens the throttle - he thinks the carb's plugged up in behind the welch plugs, but doesn't have replacement plugs for the carb so he hasn't pulled them yet to check. I think I have some in a bag of leftovers from an HL rebuild I did a while ago, gonna see if I can find them and take them over to him.

Last edited:
bar

Any of you Homelite guys know where I can get a 28" to 32" or so sprocket tipped bar for my Homelite 1050? All I have for it now is a 44 or 46 inch old Oregon sprocket bar that is great on monster trees. I would like to put this saw's muscle to work more often with a smaller sprocket bar. I have a NOS Homelite 23" gas welded tip bar wiith the safety tip still on it that has never been used but it is shorter than I want to use. Willing to trade it off if you guys could use it on one of those C series saws. p martin

Any of you Homelite guys know where I can get a 28" to 32" or so sprocket tipped bar for my Homelite 1050? All I have for it now is a 44 or 46 inch old Oregon sprocket bar that is great on monster trees. I would like to put this saw's muscle to work more often with a smaller sprocket bar. I have a NOS Homelite 23" gas welded tip bar wiith the safety tip still on it that has never been used but it is shorter than I want to use. Willing to trade it off if you guys could use it on one of those C series saws. p martin

I have 2 36" bars, one is a hard nose I have on the mill. The other is a roller. Would you be interested in trading your 44-46 for the 36. Just a thought, not really sure if I want to let it go, just because it was original to the saw and it was my Dad's. but if you would like to trade I'll give it some thought, Joe.

bar

My 46 or so inch bar is an Oregon with that cresent shaped replaceable tip. I use it often on large trees. I'm just a guy who cuts lots of fire wood for myself and with my brother. That big bar gets most of it's use in town on large, city trees. Took me a long time to find a big 404 bar that I liked for my Homelite 1050. I'm not letting go of this long bar. I have an original factory Homelite hard tipped bar that is unused. It's a GW-23003-G1 with it's original sleeve. Sleeve's a little tore up. Thought maybe you guys that restore saws that use this mount pattern might be interested in this new bar with it's original paint for one of your restores. I'm looking for a sprocket tipped bar, 28-30 inches or so, so that I can use all this horsepower more often. 36" is a little too long. Thanx 4 the reply,though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back