Homelite SUPER EZ XL-1 CDI ignition conversion????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
international

international

Hello ALL : I've been trying to do some research into CDI ignition conversion on older chainsaws and It's clear as mud to me. From what I gather some older model Homelite saws were equipped with electronic ignition . These saws had different coils????? MY specific question is directed at Homelites SUPER ez and XL-1 model . I've seen cdi ignition modules specifically targeted for these saws for sale on E_BAY. Would this be a drop in replacement or are they selling aftermarket parts? Did Homelite ever equip the SUPER EZ or the XL-1 with electronic ignition? COULD I buy these parts from e-bay and change out the point and condenser ignition system on my older Homelite saws? Do I perhaps need a different ignition coil? IS it possible to do this conversion?????? I have 4 of these old guys and I still use them all. If it's possible and not a huge hassel I'd really like to convert my saws. I think I would like to try one first see if it works out OK for me, but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Maybe someone here has tried or done this and could advise if it's a worthwhile endeavor or else just leave well enough alone?? Thanks for your time and patience.

Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hello ALL : I've been trying to do some research into CDI ignition conversion on older chainsaws and It's clear as mud to me. From what I gather some older model Homelite saws were equipped with electronic ignition . These saws had different coils????? MY specific question is directed at Homelites SUPER ez and XL-1 model . I've seen cdi ignition modules specifically targeted for these saws for sale on E_BAY. Would this be a drop in replacement or are they selling aftermarket parts? Did Homelite ever equip the SUPER EZ or the XL-1 with electronic ignition? COULD I buy these parts from e-bay and change out the point and condenser ignition system on my older Homelite saws? Do I perhaps need a different ignition coil? IS it possible to do this conversion?????? I have 4 of these old guys and I still use them all. If it's possible and not a huge hassel I'd really like to convert my saws. I think I would like to try one first see if it works out OK for me, but I don't want to waste money needlessly. Maybe someone here has tried or done this and could advise if it's a worthwhile endeavor or else just leave well enough alone?? Thanks for your time and patience.
You still with us?

HarleyT
On the EZ ignitions, one has to be careful. There were 2 different electronic coils and 2 different flywheels, WITH THE SAME PART NUMBERS!!!! So ordering a new coil, you had no idea if it was for which flywheel, or know which coil you were ordering!!!

a. palmer jr.
I have a Super EZ that doesn't have any spark (dreaded blue coil) and was wondering if I could swap out the coil from a Super 2 to use in it. I have a few flywheels from different EZ models and am going to compare them to see if any are from the Phelon ignition. It has a Prestolite on it now I believe..

undee70ss
I have a Super EZ that doesn't have any spark (dreaded blue coil) and was wondering if I could swap out the coil from a Super 2 to use in it. I have a few flywheels from different EZ models and am going to compare them to see if any are from the Phelon ignition. It has a Prestolite on it now I believe..
Probably no. The Super 2 modules were made by Phelon. Phelon systems use a opposite magnetic charge then Wico/Prestolite. All Super EZ’s with electronic ignition used a Wico/Prestolite module. Brand new replacements are available.

undee70ss
Right now I have a Prestolite module (bad) and flywheel. I should look for a Phelon flywheel to go with a Phelon module? I'll do that repel test today, I have three extra flywheels but didn't look at the brand name.
You would need a Phelon flywheel that came from a points ignition to use a Phelon module.

Another member here successfully used a Husqvarna module on a XL76 I believe, it’s somewhere in the Homelite sticky, so that is another possibly if you like to experiment.

a. palmer jr.
My saw used to run just fine last Spring. I stored it until now and decided to sell it but I couldn't get it to start. I know it has the right combination of parts but the module went bad. I checked the kill switch and all that and did everything except heating the module so I may try that next. I checked my spare parts but didn't have a module or coil that would fit it.

a. palmer jr.
You would need a Phelon flywheel that came from a points ignition to use a Phelon module.

Another member here successfully used a Husqvarna module on a XL76 I believe, it’s somewhere in the Homelite sticky, so that is another possibly if you like to experiment.
I have the flywheel of both vendors. What I didn't find was a module but I think I know someone who has one..

a. palmer jr.
I tried the Super 2 coils and although the bolt holes matched the module couldn't make the necessary clearance so I abandoned that idea. However, remembering something undee70ss wrote about heating the module I laid my trouble light on a piece of flat metal and hung the module directly over it about an inch away for a couple of hours then put it back in the saw and it made a really decent spark! I fired it up and ran it for awhile to warm the coil up a bit more then shut it off. So I guess that one is fixed for now. Thanks for the replies..

Hoggwood

Hoggwood

Dumpster saw enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Through trial and error, I came up with the Husky coil being a viable replacement for the blue prestolites on the xl-76/130 and xl-1/super mini. You need to make a bracket/tab to help with the mounting. It isn't too difficult. Other members have had success using them on some Pioneer saws as well. The coil is common to 61/272/ etc. Good spark and the timing/ flywheel shouldn't need to be adjusted.

I've had limited success with the baking method as a long-term remedy.

Little Al

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
The outcome that has proved best in terms of longevity /reliability on an EZ I owned was to scrap points/condenser & fit new points coil & Nova 2 chip I ran it for over 2 years, & moved it on ,& some similar time frame it's still a goer

Latest posts