homelite super wiz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A guy at work showed up with an old homelite super wiz the other day, what a hulk that saw is!!! i bet that thing was bad dude in it's day. even TO day for that matter. does anyone have any links or interesting info on those saws? Im not sure the exact model but had a 24" bar and what looked like .404 chain. what was the purpose of the gear reduction chain drive?? isn't faster chain speed better??

Here is a link for the Super Wiz. I have a Super Wiz 80 and you are right, it is a beast. I think the reason for the gear reduction was the problem with getting enough torque at high chain speeds to be effective(old 2-cycle design??). I may be totally wrong(not the 1st time), but I thought that was a discussion on the forum a few years back.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...39f59f105e005d4088256b78000f3865?OpenDocument

i have a super wiz 55 in my garage...it does run but needs work....dam is that thing LOUD!!!!!

The chain on your Homey is probably 1/2" pitch. No longer made so keep your eyes open for any you might possibly stumble upon. Gear reduction gives a great amount of torque for pulling the large heavy chain. It is pretty much brute force. Modern saws as you noted turn a lot higher RPMs and pull a smaller and lighter chain. The sharpness of the chain is more critical today than years ago when 25 to 30 pound (or more) saws were the norm.

Latest posts

Back