Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is different on the driveside of that XL15?

Clutch cover looks to be a newer replacement. In the pic at least.......it looks like there's less fade and scratches when compared to the rest of the saw. According to my IPL, the gear drives have a six shoe clutch, while the DD's are 3 shoe. A lot of things get switched around in 40+ years though.....

Regardless, I am STOKED to be getting it. This will be the earliest production saw of that series in my collection. Looks like it will clean up well too, and will be a good match to the XL-12 I bought from Bob on ebay back in 2007 (before I even knew he was an AS member).

Last edited:
offbrands002-1.jpg

offbrands001-2.jpg

Cool saw Aaron. Homelite sure did like to keep things interesting in the naming. I have a later model (electronic) SXLAO in red and an XL12 in carolina blue and white. PS send me your info again as I deleted it by accident:bang:
saws518.jpg

saws482.jpg

Cool saw Aaron. Homelite sure did like to keep things interesting in the naming. I have a later model (electronic) SXLAO in red and an XL12 in carolina blue and white. PS send me your info again as I deleted it by accident:bang:

Thanks Joe. Here's my XL-12 (with a P/C from a later SXL-AO swapped in). This the saw I bought from Bob. Was a birthday gift to me from my lovely wife. Probably about the same age as yours. My cherry avatar pic Homelite C-5 is also in the pics. I'll PM you my info again in a sec.

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

Thanks Joe. Here's my XL-12 (with a P/C from a later SXL-AO swapped in). This the saw I bought from Bob. Was a birthday gift to me from my lovely wife. Probably about the same age as yours. My cherry avatar pic Homelite C-5 is also in the pics. I'll PM you my info again in a sec.

100_2134.jpg

100_2133.jpg

Nice looks just like mine. My XL12 looked great, but the guts were destroyed from water. So I got a donor saw from Melvyn (remember him?) then I polished the p/c, new rings, seals and gaskets, points, carb kit....a lot. Runs great.
How I got it
saws513.jpg

when It was done
saws516.jpg

Nicely done Joe! Yours is just a bit newer than mine, because it has the newer fuel line setup. Mine has the felt wick in the tank with the metal tube sticking out. Yours has a regular line and clunk filter, and a grommet where the line passes through the tank.

I have a badly corroded Super XL-12 (58cc, manual oiler only). Damn thing had almost perfect paint when some fellow put it up. Freshly sharpened chain and a tuneup too. I believe the owner passed away a few years ago, as a buddy of mine got the saw from a house that was being cleaned/cleared up for resale for and estate. He knew I liked old Homelites, and gave it to me.

Sad thing is, some damn dog pissed on it (reeks). I think my buddy's dog did the deed. He had the saw for a few weeks before I could pick it up. He had it on the back porch. The urine caused terrible, unstopable white death all over the saw. It's progressing at an alarming rate, no matter what I do. It wasn't badly corroded when I first picked it up. It's been getting worse by the day ever since, despite my washing, scrubbing, and oiling the saw. I think the urine got into the 'pores' of the magnesium. Paint's lifting up and everything....

Chris T calls it my "Piss-XL". It runs PERFECT. Didn't have to do anything but flush the tank out to get it up and running. P/C look like new. Compression is great. I'm going to pull the P/C and put them in a dead, but nice looking red/black XL-12 I got a while back. May also swap the pyramid reed setup and carb box/rear handle from a dead SXL I have onto that XL-12 too. I'll pull the manual oiler parts, rim drive clutch drum, Tillotson carb, fasteners, and other useable stuff from the "Piss-XL" and ditch the rest. What a pitty. It has a good 16" Windsor Speed Tip bar and loop of almost new, sharp chisel chain. Those will be derusted (damn dog) and used on another saw too.

Looks my XL12 is now red

All I can find on it is Super XL Auto Ser#04526214 Don't ask me why I thought it was blue. Is it the 58cc with automatic oiler?
To last so long I assume it has a cast iron cylinder? I hope these photos are viewable

Yep. That's a 58cc SXL-AO with both manual and automatic oilers. Chromed bore. Twice the saw that the titan is. Are you possitive you have that serial number correct? Doesn't seem right to me. Clean it off and look carefully. Post the UT # too.

219291d1327372806-picture-285-jpg

219292d1327372859-picture-286-jpg

SXL Numbers

Unless there are numbers under a cover the only numbers I can find are on the ID tag: Super XL Auto Division of Textron Inc Port Chester NY Serial # 04526214

Unless there are numbers under a cover the only numbers I can find are on the ID tag: Super XL Auto Division of Textron Inc Port Chester NY Serial # 04526214

Cool saw WSC. One of the auto-only Super XL Automatics (with the manual oiler blockoff). I have one as well. Same paint/badging layout as yours. Has a good P/C, but is missing a few parts and needs a good fuel system rehab. Just haven't gotten that far down the projects list yet. It waits patiently in the box it arrived in. I hope yours spooged some bar oil on that creamsicle callendar...:jester:

On that black lable, there should be UT xxxxx and Serial Number xxxxxxxxx. Are you possitive that there isn't another digit in the serial #?

Lots of nice homey saw eye candy! I have a few xl-12's and some sxlao's laying around amongst my collection. but for the money I think my homey e-z is the most favorite to play with.

On that black lable, there should be UT xxxxx and Serial Number xxxxxxxxx. Are you possitive that there isn't another digit in the serial #?

Can't get a readable photo of the name plate with my old camera but all it has is Super XL Auto, NY address, patent numbers, consult owners manual and the serial number starts with a 0. Will get my friend's camera and eventually get a decent photo

Can't get a readable photo of the name plate with my old camera but all it has is Super XL Auto, NY address, patent numbers, consult owners manual and the serial number starts with a 0. Will get my friend's camera and eventually get a decent photo

I was able to see what you're talking about in the one photo. That's an odd sticker. Usually, Homelite stickers like the one above your muffler (black, with two silver fields) have the UT# in one field, and the serial number in the other. I can make out "Super XL" in the upper field of your sticker. Also, your serial number isn't put together like most we'd see from that era of saw. I'm not able to use the 'usual' technique to figure out when your saw was built. I think it was built in 1980....

Latest posts

Back