Homelite Super XL Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, The newer the better for what I need. These are the best photos I could get. I know it's been discussed before but should I use a 16:1 or 32:1 with this later made saw? I use regular 2 stroke oil.

Thanks, The newer the better for what I need. These are the best photos I could get. I know it's been discussed before but should I use a 16:1 or 32:1 with this later made saw? I use regular 2 stroke oil.

It's not so much the saw that determines what fuel/oil ratio to use as it is what oil you are using. If you are using a modern, fully synthetic oil (like stihl ultra) you can run up to 50:1. The older ratios like 16:1 were because they were using poor quality oils back then to make their mix.

Hi guys, first time poster and I am already looking for some help. Recently I found this chainsaw on sale:

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924885.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924881.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924882.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924884.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924886.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924887.jpg

I saw a bunch of these red and blue/white saws but never a green one? So, was this saw repainted or they were actually making them green from the factory?

Thanks for your time,

benz

Homelite Super XL AO w/manual pump

I have a super XL UT 10045-e. Need to know when it was built (year/era if possible) Serial number is HR0391094.

I have had serious issues finding a bar for this saw. Needing a 20" bar. Have no problem with chains as D70 is the easiest chain on the market to find, however I found a decent Carlton Chain that worked like a dream on my fathers 240 but his is an old homelite bar, cannot for the life of me find the bar numbers stamped on bar, it is over 30 yrs old lol. However we cannot find anyone around my area that has any knowledge about a usable bar for this saw unless it is Oregon.

Any help would be wonderful. Also looking to buy any other old Homelite saws.

Would a Super 240 be much different than our older 240 that we have? (cc, speed, power)

Hi guys, first time poster and I am already looking for some help. Recently I found this chainsaw on sale:

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924885.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924881.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924882.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924884.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924886.jpg

Motorna-testera_slika_O_1924887.jpg

I saw a bunch of these red and blue/white saws but never a green one? So, was this saw repainted or they were actually making them green from the factory?

Thanks for your time,

benz

If you look up by the fuel cap , I see what looks to be blue paint under that green! although I DO have a homelite with a green handle, I do not believe that green was a standard paint for their saws!

I could have got the orange one (which everyone here is calling the red) but the guy I got it from had the blue one running so I got the blue/white with 24" bar and good chain for $55 here in Sacramento. Wanted a Stihl but when I saw the prices for a new Stihl I figured after paying that much plus 8% tax I would have a heart attack. I got mine because it has a 24" bar which might be a little too much bar but the local power company has decided they need to remove 2 big trees from a lot I own. I stood back and looked at these 2 trees and guestimated they must be over 100' tall which gave me a minor heart attack. It was then I realized my friend's 42cc Poulan which I fixed into a zippy little saw would be dead before all the cutting was done. I told the forester if they cut one branch off a tree to cut the entire tree down. One thing I can't tolerate is a half cut tree or a toothpick tree. He actually agreed with me so they are going to cut the trees into 8' to 16' sections which is great because now I will not have to look for climbing gear and learn to climb at age 56. How you people can do this is flat out amazing to me. I have been chainsawing off and on for over 30 years but this will be my biggest project. Usually when I take out big trees I give them away. Since real estate is kind of slow right now to say the least, I am now going into the Pine firewood business which I can tell you after cutting a cord from stuff left over from the last power company pruning job is dang hard work. Of course I knew this before from previous cutting but it seems to me wet wood is now heavier than it used to be. I also bought a 20" 50cc McCulloch Titan for $20 which I am starting to hate with a passion but I am big buddies with the guy that has the lawn mower repair shop across the street from where I live so I am able to aggravate him with it. But that's another story and will be eventually be posting on my McCulloch Titan experience. I own a smaller McCulloch that still runs but the chain cover decided to split into 2 pieces and it is too dinky anyhow.
So the big question is: What's better the Blue or what looks to me to be the Orange one?

There is an older blue version and there's the "Old Blue" version which is a limited run later version, I think. I have both and also a red Super XLAO, but it's not a "Big Red" version, I wish it was, I think they're a rarer saw. They all seem to run about the same, the XL12 probably not as powerful as the Super XL but doesn't miss it by much.

I have a super XL UT 10045-e. Need to know when it was built (year/era if possible) Serial number is HR0391094.

I have had serious issues finding a bar for this saw. Needing a 20" bar. Have no problem with chains as D70 is the easiest chain on the market to find, however I found a decent Carlton Chain that worked like a dream on my fathers 240 but his is an old homelite bar, cannot for the life of me find the bar numbers stamped on bar, it is over 30 yrs old lol. However we cannot find anyone around my area that has any knowledge about a usable bar for this saw unless it is Oregon.
Sw
Any help would be wonderful. Also looking to buy any other old Homelite saws.

Would a Super 240 be much different than our older 240 that we have? (cc, speed, power)

Your SXL-AO was built on the 39th day of 1996 according to the Homelite SN decoding info. That is odd, as I believe SXL-AO production ended in 1995. That is a LATE SXL-AO in any case.

These saws take the Oregon D096/D196, Carlton 20/21, Windsor UXL/TXL, and GB HN bars, which are still in production. The 240 bar will not work. It is of the Oregon A061 mount, as used on the little XL2/Super2 Homelites. I can't immagine there is much difference between a 240 and a Super 240.

Very informative thread here! I came across this forum by searching for info on the blue homelite xl super auto. The clutch is shot, and having trouble locating another. Thought somebody here might know of a shop that may have access or some stock from parted out saws. Its the 3" diameter clutch base with springs and shoes. Anybody know of a place to go? I got some hits from eBay, been waiting a few days for an answer back.

Very informative thread here! I came across this forum by searching for info on the blue homelite xl super auto. The clutch is shot, and having trouble locating another. Thought somebody here might know of a shop that may have access or some stock from parted out saws. Its the 3" diameter clutch base with springs and shoes. Anybody know of a place to go? I got some hits from eBay, been waiting a few days for an answer back.

I would think that an older small engine shop might come up with one. Ebay also is a good place to watch.

no spark

I was given two old super xl autos and tore them both down and have assembled one with the best parts from each. The problem is that I can't get a spark. I swapped on/off toggle switches then swapped the ignition coils (they are blue prestolite non- points type ignitions) also tried another spark plug but nothing. The flywheel key is fine, the gap seems fine.... any ideas?

Last edited:
They were probably given away because the wouldn't start. They probably won't start because the coils are shot?? Just put a blue coil in my SEZ, but it would run then die after warming up to operating temp. Kick A$$ saw when they run! DW

I was given two old super xl autos and tore them both down and have assembled one with the best parts from each. The problem is that I can't get a spark. I swapped on/off toggle switches then swapped the ignition coils (they are blue prestolite non- points type ignitions) also tried another spark plug but nothing. The flywheel key is fine, the gap seems fine.... any ideas?

Are these late model Super XLs or earlier models? And are you sure these are non points models? I assumed you took the plug out of the saw and laid it against the saw and pulled the rope to see if it had spark. If you couldn't see spark and it's truly a solid state ignition you'll have to change the module. Be sure the on/off switch is disconnected to eliminate that part. There should be tons of those modules around. Surely some on ebay.

If you can find a Prestolite blue module you can change it over even if it isn't for a Homelite. Put the blue coil from the new one on the ground frame of the old module. We had a thread on this a few weeks back.

Last edited:
Are these late model Super XLs or earlier models? And are you sure these are non points models? I assumed you took the plug out of the saw and laid it against the saw and pulled the rope to see if it had spark. If you couldn't see spark and it's truly a solid state ignition you'll have to change the module. Be sure the on/off switch is disconnected to eliminate that part. There should be tons of those modules around. Surely some on ebay.

If you can find a Prestolite blue module you can change it over even if it isn't for a Homelite. Put the blue coil from the new one on the ground frame of the old module. We had a thread on this a few weeks back.

I think these are later model super xls only because they are non point types. Yes , I held the spark plug against the cylinder fins and cranked and had no spark. It's just puzzling that both coils are bad. It looked like these saws had been put out to pasture years ago for problems not related to the coils. (busted starter cord on one and scored piston on the other) But maybe it's a common problem for these coils. I do have other good saws to use, I'm just thoroughly enjoying tinkering with these. Thanks

I think these are later model super xls only because they are non point types. Yes , I held the spark plug against the cylinder fins and cranked and had no spark. It's just puzzling that both coils are bad. It looked like these saws had been put out to pasture years ago for problems not related to the coils. (busted starter cord on one and scored piston on the other) But maybe it's a common problem for these coils. I do have other good saws to use, I'm just thoroughly enjoying tinkering with these. Thanks

I don't think Homelite had a big problem with modules, I've had several Super XLs and only had one module that had failed. The local small engine shop puts Super 2 modules in them, he says you have to grind the ends a bit to make them fit the flywheel. I'm not sure about this type of repair, I usually try to find the right module, not that hard to find.

I don't think Homelite had a big problem with modules, I've had several Super XLs and only had one module that had failed. The local small engine shop puts Super 2 modules in them, he says you have to grind the ends a bit to make them fit the flywheel. I'm not sure about this type of repair, I usually try to find the right module, not that hard to find.

I've seen three failed SXL and two failed S E-Z blue coils. Also one Pioneer Farmsaw with the same failed coil (which we fixed with one from an SXL parts saw).

I've seen three failed SXL and two failed S E-Z blue coils. Also one Pioneer Farmsaw with the same failed coil (which we fixed with one from an SXL parts saw).

I've probably not been around as many of them as you have. I've only had about 7 or 8 of them in my garage. The only ones I've worked on were ones that I owned. I still have three, I think..

I've probably not been around as many of them as you have. I've only had about 7 or 8 of them in my garage. The only ones I've worked on were ones that I owned. I still have three, I think..

I love that saw series, but the blue prestolite coils are unfortunately a weak link. They seem to die without warning. Right now I have a S E-Z and an SXL-AO with dead blue coils. Sent a friend here one of my 'spare' blue coils from an SXL-AO a while ago. He put it in his Pioneer Farmsaw. He tells me that everything, including the laminations and the coil markings were identical. Works fine on his saw now.

Where in Virginia are you? I know I have a few laying around, but not at home now and won't be for some time. Ebay is probably your best bet or try Joyce, see goes by chainsaw lady and may have one for you. Chainsawr is also a good source to try.

Back