Homelite SXL $450 ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guy on CL trying to sell a pair of "Real saws" for $450

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/tls/889550868.html

I emailed him last night (see below) I love his response.

I see he has added pictures & lowered his asking price.

I like my homelites, but this guy is way out there.

Hi Bill,

I restore, work on & use old Homelite saws & have been doing so for some time now.

No offense intended, but 2 super XL saws are not worth anywhere near $450

Also, there is no way that a super XL is going to pull a 30" bar.
20" is about the max bar a super XL is going to run.

I have a super 1050, which is about twice the size of a super XL & 30" is about max for it

They might be worth $100 each if they are in mint (And I mean Mint) condition.

Look on ebay & you will see what they sell for.

They are good saws, but the fact is, that a new, modern saw, will blow it away & will be much nicer to use.

No one is going to pay $250 for a saw that you can not get parts for, when you can buy a new Stihl for $350 that will leave the Homelite in the dust & last just as long if not longer.

These Homelite saws can be bought all day long at flea markets, yard sales & such for next to nothing.

His response:

I have found someone that can get me aftermarket parts, and said he's been using these parts for awhile now, and no prob. And YES WAY, I have a 30 inch bar on a (HOMELITE SUPER XL AUTOMATIC), and it runs just fine, so I don't know where, or who told you that it don't exsist, but it does, cause I have one, and I have also called around my area, and I have found that some have been sold for a 26 inch bar for $250.00, and has mine for sale at his store on consignment there for $350.00 buy it self. So thank for your input, and I don't get offended easy. So thank.

mike i want to thank you for being a good customer of mine i remember the first time you ordered parts from me was what back in 2006 ? or was it in janurary of 07 anyway it was the store that had the mountain scene on the banner of the page with the kohler engine on it as well i just wish others would give me a try on parts im hurt cause i may loose my service van cause of non payment i wish these parts would sell cause locally i have no work at all

For Sale: Super XL Auto, a little beat up but runs great, $300 with 16" bar, $400 with 42" bar. $500 with suckback preventer and 42" bar.

Mark

Good to know saws prices are up. I have some of those XL-12s and I am going to get rich fast. I even throw in a Super 2 with a 20" bar for an extra $150.00. That would be 3, count them, three saws for $475.00, plus for a limited time only free local pick up and no handling charges.

More power to him if they sell as he has only separated a fool from his money.

Mike mandry;1196184 Yes said:
It probably would pull the chain around that bar pretty good, but I'll bet he never burried it in a 30" oak log - :dizzy: You know, I stopped wasting the time to email people like him with their foolish prices. If they won't take the time to do a little research, why should I do it for them ? They'll find out what it's worth when it doesn't sell.

Maybe it is an XL925? They will pull a 30" bar with no problem. An XL12 with a 30" No Way!

That would make sense, but its not the case. Look at the ad... they're just plain old SXLs. Maybe there's somebody out there dumb enough, but I hope he's not planning on that for Christmas money.

Dan

Sure makes me feel better about the Super XL I picked up at a yard sale last weekend for $25.00 (with 8 sharp chains) !!!

Thanks to Calvin (lawnmowertech) for the air filter & cover.

She runs great...but...MAN...is she loud! (Vibrates a tad too)

It is offically my new.......LOANER SAW!

XL12 and SXL12AO's were darn good saws back when they were being sold new as were the bigger Homelites like the XL925. Too bad Homelite sold out and started specializing in cheap plastic throw away saws. Those old saws had torque to spare for their dispacement. I still run a SXLAO on occasion with a 16" bar she cuts like a demon. She will pull a 20" but not with much authority in bigger wood.

My $10 SXL pulls a 20" hardnose quite easily in hard maple, but I gave it a lil muffler mod and got a tad more power out of it. A tough, reliable old saw, I would sell one of my newer saws and buy another, but I am kind of fond of at least one saw with good AV.

My $10 SXL pulls a 20" hardnose quite easily in hard maple, but I gave it a lil muffler mod and got a tad more power out of it. A tough, reliable old saw, I would sell one of my newer saws and buy another, but I am kind of fond of at least one saw with good AV.

SXL's Had Mufflers??????????:dizzy: :monkey: :monkey:

Scott

"SXL's Had Mufflers??????????"

Kinda what I was thinkin. :)

Mine has one....I can see it's there but it sounds like a straight pipe.
(is there supposed to be any guts in these?)

Mine has one....I can see it's there but it sounds like a straight pipe.
(is there supposed to be any guts in these?)

There should be a perforated plate in there in the middle-though it still doesn't change the sound a whole lot. If you think a SXL is loud, you should try something like a C9 or 925 on for size. Or if you want to really get loud, one of the real old monsters like my 995. I even think that one's loud and all I run are old Homelites...

Back