Homelite XL-12 bar suggestions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradercvn

Reaction score
New here, sorry if this is redundant but could use some advise...

Picked up this XL-12 at the flea market for $17 without knowing anything about this old saw other than it turned over and had compression. (Now I learned a lot, and most from posts here. Made in 1980 mid year...) A carb rebuild kit, a new fuel line, and the best old codger at the local Stihl dealer that knows everything about old carbs, and I am in business.
Two questions...
1. It came with an 18" bar, but really looking to put something neat on it, and possibly be at 20" Any suggestions?
2. I heard a lot of different opinions on fuel mix ratios. Without starting a fight, what is the consensus for a ratio?
xl12 1.jpgxl12 2.jpg

Homelite XL-12 is a well made saw--I have quite a few with stock 16 - 18 inch bars. The Tsumura line with sprocket nose are nice with a semi or full chisel 3/8 chain.Put one on a 621 jonsered-nice... I run echo powerblend oil-- 16 oz. bottle. fill to the 3.2 oz. mark and add a touch more for all my old saws--I like to see a little exhaust smoke. Have fun running and cutting wood with it--Buy some safety chaps-helmet with screen and ear muffs--Lowes and oil at home depot...keep your chain sharp--David Southwest Ga....

Ran a 20 inch with full chisel on mine, 50-1 mix. No issues. Usually only 2-4 drive links difference between the 18-20 inch bars anyways, and the oil now is way better than what they had when the saw was made, so run with what works for you.

I have a bar adaptor from member Homelite410 on mine and run a Stihl pattern bar with the more common 72DL chain. If I was going to run a 20” bar all the time on these saws I’d go skip chain but that’s just me.

Does your saw have the smaller or larger bar studs? If you have the smaller studs you can use the McCulloch/Echo bars if you remove the stud spacer.
C472DA66-810D-42A3-9823-35FFC4949405.jpeg

Back