Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_A_Grunt_1978

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks, I need some expertise here. I'll try to give as brief an explanation as possible.
My original dabbling into old saws lead me to buy 3 old homelite xl automatics, condition unknown. Upon initial inspection, all three had good compression, and two of the three had good spark. I put gas in the two saws which had spark. The one saw was a runner, in good tune and started almost immediately. You can go put a load of wood in your truck right now with it if you'd like.
The second saw started, but only after I poured some mix down the spark plug hole. It then began running off the gas in the tank but would surge and die down repeatedly. If you tried to give the saw gas it would make a funny noise (which I am not able to accurately describe in writing) which basically sounded like something bogging down.
Undaunted, I bought the saw a new gas line and a carb kit. This saw had the Zama carb and the place I ordered the kit from sent the wrong one, which I only discovered after the Welsh Plug was the wrong size.
The third no spark saw, had a walboro sdc carb, which I was able to order the appropriate kit for. I rebuilt that carb and put it on the saw that had spark and the new gas line. I started the saw and it exhibited the exact same behavior as it had with its original zama carb. I did attempt to adjust the carb screws as advised in other threads on this forum with no success. I then made the determination that this saw needed crank seals.
So, I then took the rebuilt carb and working coil off this saw and put both items on the third saw. I also used the original gas line that came off the non running saw that had spark and put it on the other saw. I attempted to start this saw, and it had the exam same result with surge and quit. I determined this saw needed crank case seals as well.
I ordered 2 new crank seals for the saw. Installed them. Started the saw, still no change in the behavior. Last night, as a last ditch effort, I took the carb and reed valve assembly off my running saw and put on this saw. I started it and still the same thing. I also took the rebuilt carb and reed valve assembly I rebuilt and put it on the running saw. When you start it it runs super fast, but it does rev up properly and I believe it will work correctly with some tuning.
I however, have no clue what the deal is with the other saw. The only thing I can think of is maybe the gasket between the reed valve assembly and cylinder head is bad? Anybody have any suggestions???? I'm really at a loss...

Have you swapped the spark plug off the running saw and installed it on the 2nd or third saw? I had a spark plug whoop my tail, had good spark until it was under a load. I swap peter and Paul trying to figure out what was going on. Last thing I swapped was the plug, that was my problem.

Steve

Pressure and vac testing will save you tons of time. Specifically pressure testing and spraying with soapy water. Bubbles=leak.

I had either a super xl or an xl 101 that had a leaky cylinder base gasket—don’t forget to check there as well.

Pressure and vac testing will save you tons of time. Specifically pressure testing and spraying with soapy water. Bubbles=leak.

I had either a super xl or an xl 101 that had a leaky cylinder base gasket—don’t forget to check there as well.
This⬆️

Latest posts

Back