homelite XL2 need help for good grade!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on a homelite XL2 for my shop teacher who is going to grade my work. I have no owners manual or any literature about this saw so i am in the dark. My teacher took the saw apart as a demonstration to the class,I was not there at the time so I have no idea about what goes where. As far as i can see, all the pieces are there. I cleaned the carb which was in pieces and reassembled it, made gaskets,split the crank case and inspected the piston and Threw everything back together. Since i did not take apart the carb, i assembled it like any other. I noticed that there was no spring in the diaphram, when i asked my teacher he said he didn,t remember. As you may have guessed, the saw won't run. So if u have any info on XL2's or what u think i did wrong, or carbs. Pleas help me so i can get a good grade!
Thanks. ;)

Missing parts:

Looks like you'll have to get the right carb kit for that carb that includes the spring or a good used carb to put on it. Sounds like there were too many hands doing work on the saw and parts got lost or misplaced. That's why I like to take things aparts and lay them out in an area where noone is going to disturbe them or put the pieces in containers for storage, untill everything is ready for assembley. Some of my saws are apart for quite some time, while I'm searching for parts off the net. So far, knock on wood, I haven't lost any parts for the saws on reassimbley. Good luck on your project. Take care. Lewis.

Carb kit replacement:

If you know the carburetor make and model number you could try < www.bantasaw.com > and do a search there for the kit. Or try a local dealer (saw shop) to see if he can get it for you. Just suggestions. Lewis.

If there isn't a spring for the metering lever, the saw wont run. As Lewis said Bantasaw is a good sorce.

For Homelite parts try giving these guys a call.
Hawkins Brothers, in Shelbina MO. Number is (573) 588 4731. I have purchased some parts for my Homellite Super XL130.
I have not talked to them in a while, so I hope they are still in buisness.
Let me know if you contact them,
Good luck.

Post the brand of carb, and all of the letters and numbers you can find on it.
Zama is the only major brand that includes a spring in the full carb kit.
If it is a walbro, I can look up the spring part number for you.
If you can give me the ut number off of the saw, I can look it up that way too!

ok the numbers on the carb read 5-458 The numbers on the plate with the screw in it read 2 21-109 , it also sais Homelite A Textron division The choke butterfly reads 62-56, the throttle butterfly reads 3480. There seems to be no high speed ajustment, only low and idol. Help me if u can.

The carb brand might help some too. But I dont like those little homelites very much, My scoutmaster has one and I thought it was way too slow.(I'm used to larger and faster saws)

IF my tech school had a small engines class thats not aimed at marine engines, and a rule prohibiting the students from having their boomboxes on wheels turned up full blast, I'd be there in the small engines class.

Go to www.homelite.com, select "contact us", and select illustrated parts lists. I just found out yesterday that you can pull up parts breakdowns for Homelite products directly on the web. I believe that the carb is a Walbro, but I don't remember the exact model number (either HDC-15 or HDC-35). You are correct, the carb doesn't have a high speed muxture adjustment.

You might impress your instructor by laying out a systematic troubleshooting procedure. I would start by verifying that you have compression, verifying that you have spark, then tackling the fuel problem. If compression and spark are good, and it runs when you squirt a little fuel mixture into the carb, then start at the fuel line in the tank and work your way up into the carb, looking for reasons that you're not getting fuel into the venturi.

Good luck.

John C.

According to the parts list, it has a walbro hdc-15, and the spring's part #
is 98-189.
If it is a xl2s, I need a u.t. number off of the saw.

Latest posts

Back