Homemade bar oil . . . anyone make it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The company I work for takes all the (new) oils left over from empty drums and totes and combine it in drums and sell it to the local mill as bar oil. We sell a lot of a product called waylube that has a tackifier in it so it gets a lot of that. I think a drum goes for $3.50 a gallon. I could get all I want for free, but I usually buy from TSC when it is $6 a gallon. I have some of the mix still and it is thinner than the TSC stuff so I am going to use it if I go out in the cold this weekend.

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. I always seem to keep my eye open for sales due to my thrifty nature, but haven't seen any oil for less than $ 9 gallon. I'm going to try making a batch after finding some STP at he dollar store hopefully, and see how it works out. Then I'll decide if its worth my effort.

I had thought of used oil but always backed off because of warning labels stating used oil causes cancer.:dunno:

Maybe if there was a way to make a good lubricant out of used frying oils. Anyone have any ideas to make it with kitchen oils?

The last thing that I would run through my saw is used motor oil.You drained it out of your vehicle for a reason, namely because it has been contaminated with metal and carbon particles.You really want to run that again through your oil pump and along your bar?
I like to save a buck along with everyone else, but I like to keep that buck in my pocket,not just shove it in and later have to dish it right back out for a premature worn out bar,chain, and maybe an oiler.
Watch walmart, they often put their bar oil on sale for 5.99 a gallon, then stock up. Like was also mentioned, check your local feedstores.Two summers ago ours had a good sale on bar oil, I think it was $22.00 for a five gallon pail and I bought enough to last until just last month.

I just don't see how I could make a quality bar oil for $6.00 or less per gallon.
I watch Wal-Mart and farm supply stores for there sales.
Used oil gets recycled into BTUs at my place.

I was at a HMDPT today and found a 48oz G-Oil bar oil on clearance for $2. It was originaly 6.99 It was the last one there so I bought it just to try Green oil for the first time. I wonder if all HD's have it on clearance or just the one. The gallon of regular bar oil is 9.99 there

Someone posted that the oil gelled in 2 of their saw tanks when they were mixed with bar and chain oil. The search function isn't any help since the site upgrade.

Is it the G-Oil that gelled? If so I'll wait till spring/summer to run it through my saws. I just picked it up because it was on clearance. I would have bought more if there was more but if it does gell it can only be run in hotter days.

Here is the thread. Look at the first picture (G-oil)
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133640.htm

Thanks for the info. I'll have to make sure the tanks are completely empty then to try it alone. I'll keep my eye on the bar to make sure it's getting lubed. At least they didn't have more or else I would have bought more.

I'm all into saving a buck but don't want to ruin my saws either. Would really love to hear more about the canola oil though. I'll look for a small bottle of it to try. I just don't see that canola would have enough tackiness to stick to bar, is there an additive to create the tackiness.

Out of the bio oils, I would only use canola oil as some guys have had gelling problems with some veggie oils. Not sure if the veggie oil just sat too long in the tank or a mixing compatibility issue. But I have had no problems in 4 years of using canola. It's tough to find the old threads on veggie, bio and canola oils because of the site upgrade. At least one tree service that posts on arboristsite has been using veggie and canola since 2002. Here is a couple threads.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/130724.htm
http://www.arboristsite.com/commercial-tree-care-climbing/38827.htm

I can't believe that after reading through 3 pages that nobody has chimed in w/ the fact that spraying used motor oil all over the woods is horrible for the environment. I'm no greeny, but USED motor oil has a lot of nasty stuff in it, chiefly from the unburnt and burnt gasoline byproducts in it. I understand I'm out there running an opened-up 2 stroke at 13 grand, but jeez, drive another nail in the coffin...

I can't believe that after reading through 3 pages that nobody has chimed in w/ the fact that spraying used motor oil all over the woods is horrible for the environment. I'm no greeny, but USED motor oil has a lot of nasty stuff in it, chiefly from the unburnt and burnt gasoline byproducts in it. I understand I'm out there running an opened-up 2 stroke at 13 grand, but jeez, drive another nail in the coffin...

The regular bar oil isn't any better, they both will have an impact on environment. My concern with used motor oil is the warning labels out there for cancer.

I like that there are people using canola with good results. I don't use my saws to make a living so for the amount of cuts I make with them I may just switch them all to canola as soon as I finish the little bit of regular bar oil I have left. Don't think I can do much damage to bar/chain with the amount of cuts I do.

according to california everything causes cancer nowadays. Put it this way if they claim sex causes cancer are you gonna give it up? i didn't think so.

Last edited:
according to california everything causes cancer nowadays. Put it this way if they claim sex causes cancer are you gonna give it up? probably not.

uHHHHHMmmmmm NOOOOOOOOO. If I'm good wifey may have a surprise after kids go to sleep. Did I say that out loud?

But I still don't like getting used oil on my hands.

Been reading one of those links about vegie/canola oil thread. I'm on page 11 of the 17 and I think I'm going veggen, or at least my saws' bar oilers, I can't see a BBQ without meat sizzling on it, it just isn't food without it.

But I still don't like getting used oil on my hands.

Are you kidding me? I change the oil on atleast 20 vehicles a month (construction business atvs/tractors/equipment) and I don't really care if i get oil on me or not, infact many a times i have gotten my hands full of oil and eat a burger right after without washing the hands. It wont kill you trust me, i havent been to the doctor for any medical reasons (other then a check-up) in 5yrs. Doc also says im healthy as a horse. Nope nothing wrong with me (except the anger managment issues but thats another thing im working on)

Latest posts

Back