Homemade big shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing by the comments that this contraptions sole purpose is to fire the rope high up the tree ... can't say I've seen one before !!!

I since have read up about a big shot ... not something I would ever have an use for ... I only go near dead wood and a big shot is a specialized arborist tool and I have desire to start climbing

Sweet, bigshot has saved me much humiliation since I suck at hand tossing.
(hello all)A few yrs ago we needed access to some 50 m eucalypytus we made a Spud gun,,,, platic pipe (sewerage grade)with a bbq ignitor and aerosol propelent to shoot potatoes(spuds) or lemons an in our case a lead filled tennis ball ... we lost the first ball , the forces snapped the throw line . second one easily got us to 40 meters (luckily we'd tied the end of )

I made a pneumatic spud gun. A 2.5" pipe fits a tennis ball nice and snug. A tennis ball filled with BBs weighs 16 oz. 50-60 psi will shoot it 90' straight up. I am sure 150-160' (45-50 M) would be no problem if I wanted to push it up to 90-100 psi. It worked well. However, the Big Shot has better control, is quicker and quieter (but not as fun). The tennis ball launcher is strictly entertainment now. The Big Shot gets used. Often.

I made a pneumatic spud gun. A 2.5" pipe fits a tennis ball nice and snug. A tennis ball filled with BBs weighs 16 oz. 50-60 psi will shoot it 90' straight up. I am sure 150-160' (45-50 M) would be no problem if I wanted to push it up to 90-100 psi. It worked well. However, the Big Shot has better control, is quicker and quieter (but not as fun). The tennis ball launcher is strictly entertainment now. The Big Shot gets used. Often.
yeah seen one of those run of a 12 v compressor 4x4 on beach to launch pre made frozen bait line an berley bombs about 300m
torpedo shape

yeah Jollylogger i agree there no point in re inventing the wheel but you can put wheel on many different sorts of cars .... an its only through people being innovative an pioneering that new better ways an means can an will be discovered

It is one thing to re-invent something trying to make it better or to re-invent something to save real money (or make it less costly for others to purchase from you). But to jerry-rig something that is unsafe and less effective in order to save what you should be charging for an hour or two worth of work......not sure that is what made Edison wealthy.

Latest posts

Back