Homemade pickaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoreyB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I really wanted to try one of these but nobody locally carried any. Well except one shop but I didn't like it.
So I grabbed some scrap steel and an old handle.
Over the process I realized that not all hook designs worked as well as some.
Some would stick so well that I couldn't get them to release. Others wouldn't estick for nothing.
So after some trial and error and came up with this. It sticks elm, hickory and oak. So far I am pleased.

I think I will add a bolt through the sleeve.
Let me know what you think.

Do you have any Dolmar stickers you could attach? I hear that makes it more powerful ;)

Seriously though, nice fabrication work.

Would you mind sharing your heat treating process?
Heat treatment is pretty basic and simple. I use a rocket stove to heat the piece. I slowly lower it down the blast tube. So it heats slow and just watch it. The way I was taught was when it changes color and starts to scale. Kind of like a dried salt lake. There is a word for it but I don't know. Then I take two metal cans. And fill them with used oil. This part is and it will flame and boil and smoke way cool.
I dunk in one tub as soon as boiling starts to slow I dunk the piece in the second can.
This does not harden as hard as water and cools the piece slower but it is less brittle as well though. And that is it.

Very nice, It looks better than the ones that I bought. ( seems to stick better also )

Yep, I homemade an 8' and copied the pick from a LogRite pickaroon. the little reverse hook right at the tip is secret to a good one. Lost my short logrite which stuck good, buought a 36" one and the 'sticking' is just barely adequate. I tried a Big ****** Hammer on idt cold but no go. Haven't tried heating with my propane torch first.

Harry K

Yep, I homemade an 8' and copied the pick from a LogRite pickaroon. the little reverse hook right at the tip is secret to a good one. Lost my short logrite which stuck good, buought a 36" one and the 'sticking' is just barely adequate. I tried a Big ****** Hammer on idt cold but no go. Haven't tried heating with my propane torch first.

Harry K
Depending on how it is hardened it may snap off before it bends cold. And to heat it steel has to hotter the most think before it becomes malleable and that will remove the temper so you would have to do something like the oil cooling to harden. Or other method

Latest posts

Back