homemade(whatelse?) measuring sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
always made measuring sticks out of ash or hickory branches but seemed to break a few. was looking at my "found in the woods" arrow collection and said hmmmm? cut the aluminum with tubing cutter&the carbon ones w/hacksaw, painted the ends that beautiful STIHL orange so i don't lose them in the woods. just a thought. saw safe FS.

always made measuring sticks out of ash or hickory branches but seemed to break a few. was looking at my "found in the woods" arrow collection and said hmmmm? cut the aluminum with tubing cutter&the carbon ones w/hacksaw, painted the ends that beautiful STIHL orange so i don't lose them in the woods. just a thought. saw safe FS.

i just made one this week that clamps to the bar on the saw near the nose (or where ever) adjustable from 0 to 30 inch, could be longer with a longer rod,
just clamp it on the bar and mark the logs with the saw, ill try to get a pic of it when i get home

My stove will take up to 20+" splits so the bar on my saws is a good estimator. Usually I just walk down the log and eyeball putting a little cut marks on the log before bucking so I don't run into to many shorties on the end. Mind you, I am not a perfectionist and have between 16-20" splits in my stacks. If perfection is your thing a measuring stick may be the way to go. I have seen some nice fiberglass, flexible rods mounted on the back of saws used that keep the dealio out of the way when cutting.

I've tried all the usual types, clamp on, magnetic, various 'sticks'. The best one I found was the "quick stix" available at Bailey's but the plastic rods are so fragile they will break if setting them down. A replaciment is a 5/16" still rod theaded 8x1mm. Quick on, quick off.

I have reverted to hand held measuring stick - bestof those I discoverd was in the plumbing section, white plastic "riser" rubing for plumbing fixtures. Just the right size to hold, white stands out when you set it down or drop it.

Worst method I tried was floppign the saw back and forth 90" twice per cut...well, that and "calibated eyeball".

Always wonder how the "Mingo" works out. I suspect most of them are tried out a few times and then become shop queens.

Harry K

I only mark the big stuff to avoid double cutting and maximize efficiency. Then it's nothing fancy, a scrap piece of PVC pipe cut to 18" and a lumber crayon. You can use 1/2", 3/4", whatever size you want. It stores easy, it's cheap or free from a scrap pile, pretty tough, and white for high visibility. If you lose it or tear it up who cares, get another one.

I only mark the big stuff to avoid double cutting and maximize efficiency. Then it's nothing fancy, a scrap piece of PVC pipe cut to 18" and a lumber crayon. You can use 1/2", 3/4", whatever size you want. It stores easy, it's cheap or free from a scrap pile, pretty tough, and white for high visibility. If you lose it or tear it up who cares, get another one.

great idea~:msp_thumbup:

heres the one i made, i still need to make new bolts for it so it can be mounted/adjusted with the scrench

This looks like it would be in the way cutting out in the woods. Maybe cutting off a pile would work out ok. Just a mark on the saw for me. Less to carry = less to lose.

more for use on the landing on wood thats already been delimbed, that way i can just go through all the logs and mark em at once, most i do by eye and i also have a mark on my bars if need be, this was just to speed things up when i have wood laid out on a landing.

id would only be put on to mark the logs then taken off to cut the wood, or just leave it on 1 of the saws

Last edited:
It says "whatever else" in the thread title.

I modified this Carry-All with some angle iron I bolted to the uprights to hold the Draw Bar so I could drag logs up from the woods. I also built the deck to hold tools and such. Works great. I need to replace the wood cross members on the carry-all with metal plates, they keep breaking.

carryall1.jpg
ith a

I keep saying this, but I'm going to make a Tap-And-Cut. Really, I am. :laugh:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GFpTR8AWRqk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I made myself a tap-n-cut and I like it. Mine is just a straight pipe (no T handle) that's a little over 4' long so that I get 3 marks per tap. I wrapped some velcro straps around the pipe and just slide them over the slits when I'm not using it. I can mark a tree in no time. Just wish I had some trees to mark...

does the pipe use chaulk? like i use in my chalk lines at work? thanks

Back