Homeowner in the 'burbs with a 290 looking at the 361 for answers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keep your 290 and put your money in a savings acount.

Thanks for the financial advice, just what I was looking for. Oh...I happen to own a regional financial advisory and investment brokerage firm...so every little bit of advice I can get sure is helpful ;-)

That bit of sarcasm aside, I am liking the idea of keeping the 290 and then "going big," - that does make a lot of sense to me. As much as I hate to admit it, that does fire right up every time and does just what it is supposed to. I think I'll begin a semi-active hunt for something fun - meaning that I am not going to go out and buy something new...but will keep lurking around looking for a nice piece of big iron to call my name.

Thanks guys, oh and my wife hates you all ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the financial advice, just what I was looking for. Oh...I happen to own a regional financial advisory and investment brokerage firm...so every little bit of advice I can get sure is helpful ;-)

Yes,yes, I see.....Have you ever heard of CAD kind sir?:monkey:

I think I'll begin a semi-active hunt for something fun - meaning that I am not going to go out and buy something new...but will keep lurking around looking for a nice piece of big iron to call my name.

Good condition Stihl pro saws bring 80-90% of new price and have no warrany, not to mention risk of engine damage. One trip to a dealer for maintenance and any percieved savings are gone.

I recommend buying new from a local dealer. Some dealers have discounts for using cash or offer other accessories free with a purchase.

So....I stopped in my local hardware store today....and they had a new 361 on the shelf...and I got into a little conversation with the manager who realized that his display model 361 was the only one he still had and the rest in the back were 362's.

She sure did end of following me home for a LOT less money than I would have expected!!

Anyone want to buy a 'like new' 290 w/ a modded muffler?

Well that's good you found a 361 and got a great price on it.

here at the low-end saw's rescue we give your unwanted saw a place to stay and feed it the cheapest fuel and oil and add it to the collection
just send it here and i'll take care of the rest

Last edited:

That bit of sarcasm aside, I am liking the idea of keeping the 290 and then "going big," - that does make a lot of sense to me. As much as I hate to admit it, that does fire right up every time and does just what it is supposed to. I think I'll begin a semi-active hunt for something fun - meaning that I am not going to go out and buy something new...but will keep lurking around looking for a nice piece of big iron to call my name.

Once CAD fully takes hold, a big saw is just a lot of fun to run - especially one that has been ported and tuned to get just a bit more (15-20%) out of it.

Hal

So....I stopped in my local hardware store today....and they had a new 361 on the shelf...and I got into a little conversation with the manager who realized that his display model 361 was the only one he still had and the rest in the back were 362's.

She sure did end of following me home for a LOT less money than I would have expected!!

Anyone want to buy a 'like new' 290 w/ a modded muffler?
I know I'm joining this thread a little late, but great choice on the 361. It has advantages that far outweigh the MS290's. It'll put a smile on your face every time you pick it up!:)

congrats on the 361. once you do any mods to it the 290 will be left on the shelf. a few pics of what your 361 can turn into:
dual dogs, muffler mod, chain catcher and chip deflector
attachment.php

wrap handle
attachment.php

i also had the same choice to make and i ended up keeping the 290 (gift from my dad) and getting a 361.
attachment.php

I really don't need the MS290 anymore, put it on Craigslist this morning at $300 firm and got a couple of calls already. One guy who is serious and I think is going to take it tomorrow morning with one extra chain. My other extra chains will fit my dad's 026 so I'll keep those to give to him.

Meeting him here at my office (professional office complex in the city) in the early morning, I'm sure the office neighbors are going to love that modded muffler screaming in the parking lot in the morning!

I really don't need the MS290 anymore, put it on Craigslist this morning at $300 firm and got a couple of calls already. One guy who is serious and I think is going to take it tomorrow morning with one extra chain. My other extra chains will fit my dad's 026 so I'll keep those to give to him.

Meeting him here at my office (professional office complex in the city) in the early morning, I'm sure the office neighbors are going to love that modded muffler screaming in the parking lot in the morning!

That's just awesome!Something I would do!

My local Ace Hardware Store finally sold their MS361 that's been collecting dust for almost 2 years. They have a 441 and 460 that's been there just as long. Can't imagine how they make any money with that business model. Never any sales or extras offered for an equipment purchase, just MSRP; which has increased several times since those saws were on display.

My local Ace Hardware Store finally sold their MS361 that's been collecting dust for almost 2 years. They have a 441 and 460 that's been there just as long. Can't imagine how they make any money with that business model. Never any sales or extras offered for an equipment purchase, just MSRP; which has increased several times since those saws were on display.

I found out (in buying the 361) that Ace managers can/will deal with you. I really was surprised since they are a chain store. He started out with "nope that's what the price is," and then when I said that hey, it's not a current model, no thanks...he changed into "step over here to the computer and let me check some things" mode really fast and the price really fell off...then after dropping the price big time and him saying he absolutely couldn't go any lower, I ask about extras and got a couple of chains thrown in for free. So Ace CAN do it...just have to work 'um.

Back