Honda knockoff engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is though that most of these motors are a vertical shaft and you can't get the easy mounts to run the hyd motor off of. Most snowblowers have horizontal shafts though, you could get a good motor off of one of these cheap. I still think the chinese knockoffs are a better bet though!

i agree!

IMHO Subaru/Robin are every bit as good as Honda engines. Subaru/Robin - Honda are neck and neck IMO.

i replaced the 5.5 HP Honda with a 9 HP Subaru/Robin and it's excellent.it was on Ebay new for $330 shipped.

i ain't buying nothing from China if i have a choice.even if it costs me more money.

i replaced the 5.5 HP Honda with a 9 HP Subaru/Robin and it's excellent.it was on Ebay new for $330 shipped.

i ain't buying nothing from China if i have a choice.even if it costs me more money.

I can't say I blame you on that! I do think Subaru/Robin engines are the cats meow. But at the time i had a $120.00 and needed an engine fast.
If I had the money for a Subaru/Honda i would have went that way.
But the little Lifan saved my butt with no problems to date!

i ain't saying they aren't good.

I can't say I blame you on that! I do think Subaru/Robin engines are the cats meow. But at the time i had a $120.00 and needed an engine fast.
If I had the money for a Subaru/Honda i would have went that way.
But the little Lifan saved my butt with no problems to date!

we wouldn't be hearing these stories if they weren't good.

it's just the principle of it for me. i'm a stubborn bastard.

Will one of the pump brackets from Northern Tool or someplace similar fit on one of these Lifan engines, or is the bolt circle around the shaft different than the Honda? I was thinking of using a Haldex 16 GPM pump with either the 9 or 11 HP engine. I'm sure I can look and find it, but does anybody know off the top of their heads which mounting bracket will fit?

Will one of the pump brackets from Northern Tool or someplace similar fit on one of these Lifan engines, or is the bolt circle around the shaft different than the Honda? I was thinking of using a Haldex 16 GPM pump with either the 9 or 11 HP engine. I'm sure I can look and find it, but does anybody know off the top of their heads which mounting bracket will fit?

Should have a standard bolt pastern.

dirt cheep not dirt bike off a riding mower.

Ah... riding mower... that's an animal of a different color. In Fact, that's what I did with my splitter... an old 18hp B&S off a rusted out mower. It's old enough that it only runs at 3000rpm instead of 3600 like most do now. I paid $100 for the whole mower.

I had dirt bikes on the brain because when I was googling Lifan, I found a lot of bike motors.

Ian

Ah... riding mower... that's an animal of a different color. In Fact, that's what I did with my splitter... an old 18hp B&S off a rusted out mower. It's old enough that it only runs at 3000rpm instead of 3600 like most do now. I paid $100 for the whole mower.

I had dirt bikes on the brain because when I was googling Lifan, I found a lot of bike motors.

Ian

Yup, they have lots of dirt bike motors. Decent as well, I have worked on them and they seem good if taken care of.

i have a "yinxiang" (or something like that) brand 13hp elec start honda clone on my splitter. its is even painted the exact same as its honda counterpart. it starts, runs, and sounds like a honda. i paid $179 for it. it has run perfect for the last 7 or so years. it was on a lawn tractor, now it is on my splitter. the elec start is a nice feature.

i used to work at a honda equipment dealer, who also sold lifan generators. we would interchange the honda parts to use to repair lifan engines-no issues.

i have a "yinxiang" (or something like that) brand 13hp elec start honda clone on my splitter. its is even painted the exact same as its honda counterpart. it starts, runs, and sounds like a honda. i paid $179 for it. it has run perfect for the last 7 or so years. it was on a lawn tractor, now it is on my splitter. the elec start is a nice feature.

i used to work at a honda equipment dealer, who also sold lifan generators. we would interchange the honda parts to use to repair lifan engines-no issues.

What engine is that? I didn't see one on there website, you talking vertical or horizontal shaft?

What engine is that? I didn't see one on there website, you talking vertical or horizontal shaft?

it is a horiz shaft engine, and i cant find it either. i bought it from an ebay dealer years ago. if it didnt have 2 stickers that said "yinxiang", i could make anyone believe its a honda

I just bought a Honda GX 160 cc 5.5 Hp from Northern Tool on sale for $329
Damn good motor.

"The Honda 160cc GX Series OHV commercial-grade engine is designed for the most demanding commercial applications. It has set an industry standard for reliability and durability. Overhead Valve design offers cooler, fuel-efficient operation and cast iron cylinder sleeve provides longer service life. The GX is reliable, easy starting and quiet running. Meets EPA and CARB emission levels standards. This legendary engine has earned the reputation as the preferred engine for construction equipment. Common applications include pressure washers, compressors, log splitters and chipper/shredders."

Last edited:
Not sure if it's a Lifan, or Ching-Chow, but Costco sells an 8KW generator with one for $600, vs. the Honeywell w/Honda for $1K

IMHO they are 2x better than any motor besides the genuine Honda's! !

My exact thoughts too. Great for things that dont see lots of hours for sure. I dont have enough hours on mine to say for how long? The fact that they start just like a Honda is great, the Chinas got that part right. I would add to never pay list for one, they are on sale every other month. I have a $99 coupon for the 6.5 version I intend to use before it runs out in Feb.

Been looking mostly on ebay so far, I haven't seen anything in the 9-11 HP range at Harbor Freight here. Most of the time on ebay they're $225-$235 plus shipping, but every now and again they run an actual auction. I'm hoping to wait for one of those and hopefully get a little better deal, I just can't bring myself to spend the roughly $700 on a real Honda on my budget.

Latest posts

Back