Honda knockoff engines?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
company i work for had a pile of these honda knockoffs in their scrap yard. after digging around i ended up with 13 all water pumps 1" up to 4". all stuffed, after a day in the shed i had 12 running motors and 1 seized and 13 busted pumps. seems to me the only thing that is crap on these motors is anything attached to them. all the pumps had cracked or just rattled to bits. we now use honda 3"pumps hooked up to these knockoff motors and have no trouble at all. and they pump the nastiest salt water known to man, you can almost walk on the water its that hard

I use a lot of small engines commercially and would not recommend a Kohler. For a motor that big I would definetly go with a Honda or Kawasaki, perhaps a Briggs (they have gotten much better recently). JME,

I have had more B&S problems then Kohler problems. I have a 13hp and it is on its second mower. It may be because B&S are more popular and I see more homeowner non maintained mower then pro-used equiptment.

I was told if I was to get a Kohler, to make sure it was a "Command" and not a "Courage". Don't know how good that advice was.

Ian

Id agree. But haven't seen to many Courage.

company i work for had a pile of these honda knockoffs in their scrap yard. after digging around i ended up with 13 all water pumps 1" up to 4". all stuffed, after a day in the shed i had 12 running motors and 1 seized and 13 busted pumps. seems to me the only thing that is crap on these motors is anything attached to them. all the pumps had cracked or just rattled to bits. we now use honda 3"pumps hooked up to these knockoff motors and have no trouble at all. and they pump the nastiest salt water known to man, you can almost walk on the water its that hard

What kind of pumps?

i know someone who has a hf honda knockoff on a water pump and it starts on the second pull every time:givebeer:

I've got a broad-spectrum of these motors 1.5 hp on my ol' ladys little tiller(replaced a briggs), 6.5 hp on a water pump, and a 13 hp on my log splitter(replaced a briggs.) The log splitter and water pump are both 3 years old and run flawless, if not starting the first pull they start the second.
I'm impressed, there are those things about loose nuts bolts and screws on them....so watch em close after running at first. I will not hesitate to buy or use them again...if I have to. I bought mine off evilbay.
Yeah and I do have to add the gas caps are sucky.

I have the 11hp HFT on a splitter 80 cords + it has been flawless.
Keep in mind you can't parts locally! (air filters have to be purchased from HFT.)
Handyman magazine usually has 20% off coupons every month.
Mark

Is there a way to tell the difference between a good chinese knock-off engine, and a crappy one? Are there brand names they are sold under here that I would know would be good? Or...... should i consider any chinese motor that resembles a Honda GX a good bet?

good to hear a vote of confidence, I haven't really heard a lot of negatives about these engines yet!

Is there a way to tell the difference between a good chinese knock-off engine, and a crappy one? Are there brand names they are sold under here that I would know would be good? Or...... should i consider any chinese motor that resembles a Honda GX a good bet?

Lifan's are good for Chinese. I have worked on them and they seem decent. If you take care of it, it will run fore a long time

Looks like Lifan utility engines go as high as single cylinder 15hp. No twin cylinder utility engines.

Ian

Looks like Lifan utility engines go as high as single cylinder 15hp. No twin cylinder utility engines.

Ian

you can get a used twin for dirt cheep off a busted rider. You will probably have to go threw the thing and make sure all is well inside. They are poorly maintained by the general public.

How would you adapt a dirt bike engine to a hydraulic pump? They turn way too many revs for a 4000rpm pump unless you hooked it up the tranny and used the clutch and gearing.. :)

Ian

Last edited:
How would you adapt a dirt bike engine to a hydraulic pump? They turn way too many revs for a 4000rpm pump unless you hooked it up the tranny and used the clutch and gearing.. :)

Ian

dirt cheep not dirt bike off a riding mower.

Back