honest question? regarding stihl saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlh29

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am facing some unforeseen life changes( I am active duty mil deployed, have owned a home in N NY for past 6 yrs at which I burn firewood) I have recently been told I am moving.. PCS.. sell house land etc NOW..

I have 3 stihl saws, all purchased new by me mainly due to this site.. should be able to dig up purchase records on all.

I know pictures are great, but I am typing from Afghanistan..
Saws are in great shape, the ms361 has the most use ( probably 20 hrs tops on it)

saws are ms460 rescue, less than 12 hrs on saw.. bought it first, week later 361 arrived and it fits me better. has 20 inch es bar with multiple full chisel chains( original carbide chain never used in new cond) Saw is probably 95 % minor wear on bottom, original 20 inches bar has some wear.
Have brand new 25 inch es bar and 2-3 chains

MS 361, originally ran with 16 bar( put that on a ms2560 pro) saw has about 20 hrs on it has some basic wear normal no bs, and a like new 18 es bar, few chains, stihl hard case
ms 260 pro has about 6 hrs total on it, looks new, 16 in es bar with wear on it( paint) few chains stihl hard case, muffler modded as described here stihl factory tch tuned with tach, no limiter caps on it. Ran 2 2tanks threw it since muff mod.

these saws are all about same age, think I bought them all in 2008-2009 ish. I have a few cases of stihl oil mix( yes cases) files etc and I know I have another new es bar just cant remember what size.

Again I am just a firewood cutter, home use,not pro. with CAD I have been deployed for over 2 yrs since these were bought etc, They are stored dry, in my house climate controlled etc, Only fresh 93 octane, stihl oil including bar oil ever used. Only ever usd by me.

I am curious as to a realistic price for each as I have to sell about everything I have to move..

Anyone interested in a 2004 Kubota B2710 with sims cab, loader, 60 mmm, turfs, and 5 ft bush hog squealer brush hog, 500 hrs plus minus as wife mows with it??

I will not be around to sell until Mar 2012 but am honestly curious what these may bring,,, I know wha t I have in them LOL wife would kill me if she knew..

If I had the money I would buy all of them at the original selling price and let you keep the saws, and Kubota. Thankyou brother for serving our country, thankyou for the sacrifices you have made and continue to make, and thankyou for being an example to all. God bless you and your family.

I am facing some unforeseen life changes( I am active duty mil deployed, have owned a home in N NY for past 6 yrs at which I burn firewood) I have recently been told I am moving.. PCS.. sell house land etc NOW..

I have 3 stihl saws, all purchased new by me mainly due to this site.. should be able to dig up purchase records on all.

I know pictures are great, but I am typing from Afghanistan..
Saws are in great shape, the ms361 has the most use ( probably 20 hrs tops on it)

saws are ms460 rescue, less than 12 hrs on saw.. bought it first, week later 361 arrived and it fits me better. has 20 inch es bar with multiple full chisel chains( original carbide chain never used in new cond) Saw is probably 95 % minor wear on bottom, original 20 inches bar has some wear.
Have brand new 25 inch es bar and 2-3 chains

MS 361, originally ran with 16 bar( put that on a ms2560 pro) saw has about 20 hrs on it has some basic wear normal no bs, and a like new 18 es bar, few chains, stihl hard case
ms 260 pro has about 6 hrs total on it, looks new, 16 in es bar with wear on it( paint) few chains stihl hard case, muffler modded as described here stihl factory tch tuned with tach, no limiter caps on it. Ran 2 2tanks threw it since muff mod.

these saws are all about same age, think I bought them all in 2008-2009 ish. I have a few cases of stihl oil mix( yes cases) files etc and I know I have another new es bar just cant remember what size.

Again I am just a firewood cutter, home use,not pro. with CAD I have been deployed for over 2 yrs since these were bought etc, They are stored dry, in my house climate controlled etc, Only fresh 93 octane, stihl oil including bar oil ever used. Only ever usd by me.

I am curious as to a realistic price for each as I have to sell about everything I have to move..

Anyone interested in a 2004 Kubota B2710 with sims cab, loader, 60 mmm, turfs, and 5 ft bush hog squealer brush hog, 500 hrs plus minus as wife mows with it??

I will not be around to sell until Mar 2012 but am honestly curious what these may bring,,, I know wha t I have in them LOL wife would kill me if she knew..

You must have bought all of these at the "Saw Barn". I live up near Drum and can ask around for you, with the little use these have had I bet you can sell them pretty quickly for a good price, I think that 3/4 or a little better of what you originally paid for them would be decent, you can always try to sell them at that and haggle a little if needs be. As for the Kubota, wish I had a little more financial breathing room to buy it off of you. I might even be able to buy one or more of those saws off of you by the time you go to sell. I have a few good side jobs hopefully coming up. If you need any local help let me know.

Thanks Guys for the kind words.

I bought the ms460 rescue at whites farm supply in Lowville, The 361 at Yanceys in Lowville and the ms 260 Pro from a dealer in my hometown in PA, the ms260 pro was tuned at the saw barn, Tom seems like a decent guy.

Yeah .. I guess I bought my home at high market, at the time they didnt have much for housing at FT Drum so it was highly encouraged to buy off post . I have put about 35k in it,( new roof, new heating system, windows, laminate wood floors, all appliances, and it is worth what I paid for it 7 yrs ago even though the tax assesment is 40000 more than 7 yrs ago. This if I can even get a buyer.

The kubota I will really miss. Even built a stand alone 3pt hitch splitter for it,, with a kubota diesel engine for power. If you know of anyone looking I would make a hell of a deal on the kubota, custom 30 inch stroke splitter and a 2006 down to earth 18 ft 10000lb equip trailer..

Also have parts for a big splitter, 4x30 prince cylinder new 3000 psi, 25 gallon tank, 6 inch h beam, 1/2 x 6 plate for the top rail of h beam etc etc

A kimpex 4 ft atv snow blower with a 13 hp honda on it

Hopefully BIG Army will change there plans for me in the next 6 months as I really like FT Drum and the surrounding areas, and over the years I have made a lot of friends,. Honestly figured I would retire there. If not I will be having one very big yard sale..
Working now to stay but if not will let you guys have first crack at anything before ebay...

If they are all in the condition you described, you should fetch 75-85% of MSRP on Ebay- atleast from what I've experienced. As far as the Kubota, you shouldnt have a hard time selling it locally in the spring- around tax return time.

Most of all, thank you for your service! I spent a little over six years in, and miss it every day. Wish you a safe return, and hope your PCS goes well...

Sell nothing, for you will need to buy it again, either at your next posting or for retirement. 3 saws take up no room to store, the kubota etc......well I will make room in my shop or barn for ya.

Thankfully i was never posted to Africa, cuz then I would be known as that crazy canadian riding his snowmobile in the desert. Postings are like women, then come, go, and happen for periods of time, toys are for life.

Come home safe brother.

If I had the money I would buy all of them at the original selling price and let you keep the saws, and Kubota. Thankyou brother for serving our country, thankyou for the sacrifices you have made and continue to make, and thankyou for being an example to all. God bless you and your family.

I could not say it any better - -

Thanks for all you do.

I have a 2004 2710 Kubota and they are great property tractors. Have you considered leasing your place? An incoming service family could be a good canidate.

I'm with the others who said store that stuff. Even the tractor. You know you'll end up wanting to have that stuff again eventually. I'm sure it'd be easy enough to find a storage locker to at least fit the tractor and saws. The implements are easy enough to score quality used ones later, but a good tractor and good saws are something worth holding on to.

Thanks for your service!

I know I would love to store the items.

Issue is the market has dropped bad on my house . In the past few years we put close to 50k in the house with this said even with all updates, it is worth slightly more than originally paid for it even though it is assessed at about what I have in it. I will need too liquidate about everything I own to break free at current market value as there is a diff of about 40k on worth vs loan..

Right now just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Thanks again everyone

MLH29, I am real sorry to hear about your'e troubles. I really hate hearing about people having to sell off there stuff. I know it hurt's, when I was younger I had a tough time with a dad who dindnt give a shiat. I had to make ends meet, and be on my own at an early age, even was homeless a short time. Luckilly I had one friend take me, and my two dogs in. Then I found a place I had to sell alot of nice gun's off, and other things. It was real hard. I miss alot of the stuff, but had no choice so I hope youre luck get's better. Norm....

I don't know about prices on all three saws, but I did just sell a MS 260 (not a pro) with a 20" and a 16" bar/chain. I got $400 for the set-up and it was brand new looking like you described. I was happy with that price, but I don't know how used prices differ on the east coast as opposed to here in the midwest.

If you were closer to Virginia, I would come take a look at that Kubota -- I may be buying a bigger piece of land, and will need a tractor with a front loader. Good luck with your move, and thanks for your service!

Stihls hold there value well.

However, I'm not so sure about paying 85% of retail for this kit! For the difference I would buy new for warranty from a dealer.

Regards,

SAWs

Stihl have sold many POS saws in the US, on the brand name only - like the 210/250 and the 290/310/390 and 311/391 - but they also has made some really good saws, like the 361, 440 and 660....:msp_biggrin:

It basically is about what you pay for, regardless of brand!

Last edited:
It's really smart that you are starting early on this. You have some sought after goods that people will want. With the extra bars, chains, oil, etc. and no sales tax, you should get 75-100% of new. I've seen several Stihl saws sell for more then new price recently. Is your wife good at this kind of stuff, or a friend? It's been said here before, take lots of high resolution pics, post your adds in several places. Craigslist, local paper, supermarket bulletin board, etc. On ebay, list your add in home and garden, power equipment, chainsaws, and as many categories as you can think of. Split them up and sell individually. Presentation and marketing, you will get your price. Good luck and sell now, don't wait until the last minute. List it everywhere, but sell local, if you can. No fees, no shipping, you net more. I spent a year and a half looking for a good backhoe, bought one from a guy right down the road, found it on the internet. Paid more because I could check out the seller and the item. Best to you and your family.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for the kind words.

I bought the ms460 rescue at whites farm supply in Lowville, The 361 at Yanceys in Lowville and the ms 260 Pro from a dealer in my hometown in PA, the ms260 pro was tuned at the saw barn, Tom seems like a decent guy.

Yeah .. I guess I bought my home at high market, at the time they didnt have much for housing at FT Drum so it was highly encouraged to buy off post . I have put about 35k in it,( new roof, new heating system, windows, laminate wood floors, all appliances, and it is worth what I paid for it 7 yrs ago even though the tax assesment is 40000 more than 7 yrs ago. This if I can even get a buyer.

The kubota I will really miss. Even built a stand alone 3pt hitch splitter for it,, with a kubota diesel engine for power. If you know of anyone looking I would make a hell of a deal on the kubota, custom 30 inch stroke splitter and a 2006 down to earth 18 ft 10000lb equip trailer..

Also have parts for a big splitter, 4x30 prince cylinder new 3000 psi, 25 gallon tank, 6 inch h beam, 1/2 x 6 plate for the top rail of h beam etc etc

A kimpex 4 ft atv snow blower with a 13 hp honda on it

Hopefully BIG Army will change there plans for me in the next 6 months as I really like FT Drum and the surrounding areas, and over the years I have made a lot of friends,. Honestly figured I would retire there. If not I will be having one very big yard sale..
Working now to stay but if not will let you guys have first crack at anything before ebay...

Hey Bro, are you 10th Mountain?

It's really smart that you are starting early on this. You have some sought after goods that people will want. With the extra bars, chains, oil, etc. and no sales tax, you should get 75-100% of new. I've seen several Stihl saws sell for more then new price recently. Is your wife good at this kind of stuff, or a friend? It's been said here before, take lots of high resolution pics, post your adds in several places. Craigslist, local paper, supermarket bulletin board, etc. On ebay, list your add in home and garden, power equipment, chainsaws, and as many categories as you can think of. Split them up and sell individually. Presentation and marketing, you will get your price. Good luck and sell now, don't wait until the last minute. List it everywhere, but sell local, if you can. No fees, no shipping, you net more. I spent a year and a half looking for a good backhoe, bought one from a guy right down the road, found it on the internet. Paid more because I could check out the seller and the item. Best to you and your family.

Excellent point about the presentation and marketing Jim :clap: mlh29 , have a friend/family , post your pics/descriptions around Alexandria Bay and Watertown . Plus , Adirondacks are within your view, a lot of good folk with country values and some good 'ole rednecks who might snatch up your deals !

Latest posts

Back