hookaroon-different head types, what's the difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin j

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I want to get a hookaroon, 36 inch, lightest head. Probably Council Tool at Grainger, or Dixie.
General use, max usually 16-18 inches diam x 16 long rounds, most is 12 diam or under.

There are 'standard head', 'cutting head or cutting edge', and 'Hume head'. I can't see any before ordering, what are the differences?

kcj

I have a Peavey with the standard Hume head. Extremely light weight and sharp hook.
I am amazed at the size logs I can move with it. It is the handiest tool you can have while bucking and splitting.
Go to the peavey web site and ask for a catalog. All of the different styles are pictured. I finally decided on the standard Hume head with a 36" handle and couldn't be happier.
I'm going to order a second one with a shorter handle for unloading my truck and trailer.
These things are real back savers.

I recently picked up one from Norther tool. It is ok but I think I have to some reshaping of the head, it doesn't stick in hard wood well.

Go with the Peavey with the Aluminum head. You will not be sorry. I posted about it a couple months ago, do a search.

I have the mid-length (5 or 5.5') tenzalloy Peavey. Very, very light and sharp. Fits just perfect in my truck's tool box.

I upgraded from an el-cheapo pickaroon ($20-ish), that was a pain to use (but still lots better than nothing at all).

to clarify, I am trying to learn the diferences between the various 'head types' and when they are used, or preferences.

Not so much the advantages of the hookaroon, I am sold on that by using some homemade versions. But didn't know there were different heads. I 'll check the peavey site.

Take a look at LogRite hookaroon too. Aluminum with modified steel round-stock gezinta. Easily engaged in the wood, light & strong tool with long foam grip. My 36" one is my third hand.

Latest posts

Back