Hot Blast 1557 Not So Hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BUGEATER

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm sure questions like mine have been answed over and over, but I'm a little like oak, dense as all get out! I'm a first time wood furnace owner and I'm not sure about my current installation. I have a hot blast 1557 with one of the heat vents connected to my cold air return on my propain furnace. I operate it by running my central heat fan constantly and do not use the wood furnace's blowers at all. The air enters the wood furnace through one of the heat vents and is sucked through the other and into the cold return. I've burned a variety of different types and amounts of wood and have a heck of a time getting the plenom temp much above 200f, which barely keeps my house temp at about 70! If I cap the second heat vent my temperature plummets dramatically, or plummets if I use the wood furnace fans at in conjuction with the propane heater's fans. Using only the wood furnace's fans I cant push the air through the house. Any suggestions? I'm tired of being warmer while I split the wood than when I burn it!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for indulging my ignorance.

Post a pic. I can guarantee that setup will never work. Whats your square footage also. You should never feed heat into a cold air return on a furnace, unless you want a high repair bill, If I read this right. Do you have a rough idea on the air temps coming from the registers?

Last edited:
Your using your cold air return as a heat outlet , or are you thinking that you can draw in air through one of the 8" outlets and push out through the other.

Pics are helpful..

If ether are the case then stop using your furnace and properly duct it.

The cycling of heated air through your ducts and into your rooms is important , heated air at the floor rises to force the cooler air above it into the cold air returns which in turn feeds the inlet side of your wood furnace. The air comes in the "cool" side of your furnace and passes over the firebox and becomes "heated" then travels out the two ducts at the top of the add-on.... and starts it journey all over. Forced air systems require circulation to function and your wood unit is no different.

Search this section there's a ton of good info with a bunch of pics.

I have a friend that heats a 2,400 sq-ft house with the same unit and it has no problem running you out! Once you have it properly installed you will be pleased with it's performance.

Thanks for the tips guys, I had a suspicion I was doing something wrong. I'll send some pix as soon as I both find and stop arguing with my camera!

My house is about 2500 sqr ft. Not sure about the register temps, but they feel luke warm to the touch if that. Can't seem to get the pics uploaded correctly, but I'd be happy to email you some directly if you like, I know I'd sure appriciate it.

Latest posts

Back