How are used saws selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i won't buy here some of the saws is selling over market value. seems like a way to milk money out of uneducated people.
like bills poulan 505 selling for 485$ he smoking some wacky ****.

I used to sell some second hand saws to fund the collecting, but I have to admit that apart from lowballers, interest in used saws has decreased dramatically over the past year. I sold "0" series Stihls within a week in the past, now they stay put. Huskies or Jonny's don't even get a bid.
Europe is going to a bad economic crisis and it seems that folks only spend money if it is really needed.
And heating oil has come down dramatically on price as well, which explains also.
Don't know how new saws sell, but I bet it's not better.

I have sold items (not saws) on eBay for several years and the time after Christmas is always dead. We are probably suffering from the perfect storm - bad time of the year (no money), cheap oil prices, cheap knockoff chainsaw prices, warm weather. It's hard to convince someone who knows nothing about chainsaws why a refurbished 10 - 20 year old professional saw is better than a cheaper new saw at Home Depot.

I might be interested in the MS 250, could you post some pics. Where are you at in Iowa I am close to Fredericksburg?

I'm about half hour from Fredericksburg in calmar. I will take some pictures of all of them once I get to the shop and post them in the trading post. I'll send you a message when I get them up.

I was sure ready to buy, buy, buy two days ago Sun...was about two hours late on a local, absolute mint condition 7-8 yr old, one owner 346XP. Fella kept it spit-shined clean, oil and fuel drained...never used it but a handful of times over the years. Sold it with a new Husky 18" B&C for $300 friggin bucks. Was just a little late gettin to the party. Way it goes I suppose. :(

I was sure ready to buy, buy, buy two days ago Sun...was about two hours late on a local, absolute mint condition 7-8 yr old, one owner 346XP. Fella kept it spit-shined clean, oil and fuel drained...never used it but a handful of times over the years. Sold it with a new Husky 18" B&C for $300 friggin bucks. Was just a little late gettin to the party. Way it goes I suppose. :(
for us who collect saws it's good time :D i was to late on two deals locally, nice working 254xpg 120$, 1 beautiful 246 also for 120$.

for us who collect saws it's good time :D i was to late on two deals locally, nice working 254xpg 120$, 1 beautiful 246 also for 120$.
For some reason there is no love here for the great 246. They languish on the sites forever it seems unless you are giving them away. I see a really nice one on eBay that has been listed multiple times for about $260 with bar and chain (no connection to me) and it just does not sell. I've seen them listed here on the Trading Post with the same result. Put a 242 up there and it is gone fairly fast - what a difference a cylinder/piston/ring make!

Seriously, if you are able to find good 254xpg or 242xpg for those kind of prices, figure out what shipping to the US would cost and I'll buy one (or more?) from you.

For some reason there is no love here for the great 246. They languish on the sites forever it seems unless you are giving them away. I see a really nice one on eBay that has been listed multiple times for about $260 with bar and chain (no connection to me) and it just does not sell. I've seen them listed here on the Trading Post with the same result. Put a 242 up there and it is gone fairly fast - what a difference a cylinder/piston/ring make!

I don't get it, either. That is a great saw at a decent price. I think folks just get so used to being able to buy at desperation prices that when a fair price comes up, it feels high.

One other thing that I got to thinking about last night was that maybe part of the problem isn't lack of money as much as it is lack of time. Just yesterday I paid the small engine shop across town to come to my home, pick up one of my generators, clean the carb, and return it, because it made more sense for me to pay them $150 to do this than it did to try to find time to do it myself. Over the last year or so I have sold off all of my project saws and all my parts saws/spare parts collections, because I realized that I will never have the time to tinker with saws. So for me, it makes more sense to simply buy a saw that is good to go, or to pay the shop to work on it for me, because the alternative is that it will sit on a shelf for years at a stretch. I have to imagine that I'm not the only one making this call, and that many people are responding by buying new stuff instead as a hedge (newness, warranty, etc.) against possible downtime and repair issues.

I've had a lot of luck selling on AS, but I have noticed classified traffic has been down lately. Most everything I've sold, has went in a day or two.
Slowest sellers for me have been anything that wasn't a Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, or Jonsered. Lots of brand hype on AS, and imenent need for a "pro" saw.

I have never understood why its not more populare. That said, I dont have a 246, but it's on top of my list. It does not need to be G version, I will rebuild it to be one anyway. Doing the same with my other two 42, they will eventually become 42G.
Before or later I will find one nice 246 example in Norway, I have a deal with the three biggest Husky dealers in this province.......

Seriously, if you are able to find good 254xpg or 242xpg for those kind of prices, figure out what shipping to the US would cost and I'll buy one (or more?) .
I bought one with carbon scored piston due change of fuel (pump/Aspen), except the scratches underneat it was pure clean inside, ordered new oem piston. I paid just 40$ for it.

If I get over one nice one I will let you know.....but I want a few myself also...

From a new "AS-er" prospective...

I always used our old Husqvarna to cut with. A saw to me was like a hammer to most people. 20 Oz is 20Oz. To me, a remodeler, 20oz Hart is WAY worth the cost over the same weight Kobalt. I am a guy who uses tools daily and still didn't see the value of the "pro" lines for me.

They (saw companies) have put so much $ into their "farm/rancher" marketing that the general buyer thinks they are the "same" and they aren't a "pro anyway so why pay the difference?"

Now that I am cutting more I wish I had a 550xp and 372xp instead of my 455, 345 and 211. I also have my old, broke down 55 rancher.

To the lay person the value for dollar is not there. 4 year warranty on a $370 saw versus paying $700 for the pro saw with the same (again, to the lay person) specs. Most would rather pay for the big name, inexpensive saw.

was this on Bucklin Georgia?

Saws sell rather cheaply this time of year because many have cut all their firewood already or trimmed all their trees, and some want to get out of the firewood business altogether. So, the saw becomes excess baggage. This is the so-called undedicated market that tends to be myopic and does not consider a saw to be much above an emergency good.

I sold a fine-running Stihl 024AV last fall to an older guy for $190 and threw in a scrench and an extra chain. Last week before he went to Las Vegas, he asked whether I wanted to buy it back. I said, "No, I already have another one just like it. I suggest you keep that saw because it will last at least another 10 years."

He went to Vegas and lost $1,500. Now if I offered him eight $2o bills for it, he just might take it.

Latest posts

Back