How are used saws selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
I was sure ready to buy, buy, buy two days ago Sun...was about two hours late on a local, absolute mint condition 7-8 yr old, one owner 346XP. Fella kept it spit-shined clean, oil and fuel drained...never used it but a handful of times over the years. Sold it with a new Husky 18" B&C for $300 friggin bucks. Was just a little late gettin to the party. Way it goes I suppose. :(

You just let me know leatherneck, we will help you find what you are looking for. Just remember you gotta get the "right orange!"

Stihlofadeal64

Stihlofadeal64

Addicted to ArboristSite
Saw sales have a relativity factor (no...I am rarely philosophical:rolleyes:). If you have what a number of the right people are looking for -- it can and will sell regardless of the time of year. That being said however, certain times of the year are boom and certain times lean. Keying in on some of these factors is a great help. There are certainly key times and more desirable ones to sell. Learning some of this is a help as well.

a. palmer jr.
I've had very little serious interest in the saws I have for sale. Mostly lowballers sending me a text offering $100 less than my asking price that is clearly indicated to be "firm" in my ad. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other as I don't depend on my saw hobby to eat. The weather certainly has been an issue too with warm temps in much of the country and people not desperate for firewood. I also sell firewood and have had extremely low demand for that as well. Again, not a serious issue as I'll just use it myself otherwise.
There's several trees down from the recent storms. Sometimes that helps saw sales a bit. Having said all that I don't have any saws for sale right now, maybe in a couple of weeks I'll try.

a. palmer jr.
I don't have pictures right now for the little homeowner saws? I would rate the 250 in worst cosmetic shape, but its still good with new chain. Is 125 close? The 211 is in pretty good shape, new chain, is that a 150 dollar saw or more? Finally the 251 is barely used. The stihl dealer near me says 300 but I would like some input.
My only MS250 has so many Chinese parts in it that I doubt it would sell at all so I have it marked as a "keeper". Stihl MS250 001.JPG

Wood Doctor
Price them right they are selling like a good piece of ash. Fast :rock:
Price them stupid money to make big bucks off folks they move slow. :dumb:

I prefer the move them fast route. :envy:
JJ, it's a seasonal market. People freeze to death in the winter, but that's largely because they forgot to cut and split enough firewood either to heat the house or augment the furnace. Cutting wood now is a real PITA, especially since most of the time it still has to be split and dried out. The chain saw cannot do that by itself.

I will bet you that I get several calls next week for firewood deliveries because the owners of chainsaws don't want to get out there and cut in January when the high temp is single digits. So, they can sell the saw that they forgot to use and buy a truckload of firewood with the cash.

a. palmer jr.
JJ, it's a seasonal market. People freeze to death in the winter, but that's largely because they forgot to cut and split enough firewood either to heat the house or augment the furnace. Cutting wood now is a real PITA, especially since most of the time it still has to be split and dried out. The chain saw cannot do that by itself.

I will bet you that I get several calls next week for firewood deliveries because the owners of chainsaws don't want to get out there and cut in January when the high temp is single digits. So, they can sell the saw that they forgot to use and buy a truckload of firewood with the cash.
My story is just the opposite, I cut more firewood last year than I usually do, gave some of it away because the weather is unusually warm for this time of year..

Wood Doctor
My story is just the opposite, I cut more firewood last year than I usually do, gave some of it away because the weather is unusually warm for this time of year..
Things are getting back to normal this week. Single-digit lows for the rest of the week. It all averages out. Whatever I cut last year I burned last month and now. I held off some of the mass this year because of El Nino.

Regardless, there will always be a demand for chain saws. You just have to play the seasons. Watch the demand go up this spring because people are burning more patio fires. Chain saws will sell again, and so will campfire wood.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
My only MS250 has so many Chinese parts in it that I doubt it would sell at all so I have it marked as a "keeper". View attachment 474385

I have just completed a saw I call cooter. It is all the ugly parts I took off saws and through in boxes. Then DD had a couple engines he wanted me to try straight from hong Kong. Its pieced together, its ugly. Its made from recycled Chinese beer cans. I'm rooting for it. Its so ugly and so cobbled together its pretty

ReggieT

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have just completed a saw I call cooter. It is all the ugly parts I took off saws and through in boxes. Then DD had a couple engines he wanted me to try straight from hong Kong. Its pieced together, its ugly. Its made from recycled Chinese beer cans. I'm rooting for it. Its so ugly and so cobbled together its pretty
th

a. palmer jr.
I'm gonna have several of the 1127 saws when I get them all going, made from this and that. I put one 039 together but have yet to get it to take fuel, suspect an air leak. I have an 029 I just completed but haven't fueled it up yet and one MS290 in the shed that looks fairly new but needs a p/c. I usually don't take pics until I get them running..

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
I'm gonna have several of the 1127 saws when I get them all going, made from this and that. I put one 039 together but have yet to get it to take fuel, suspect an air leak. I have an 029 I just completed but haven't fueled it up yet and one MS290 in the shed that looks fairly new but needs a p/c. I usually don't take pics until I get them running..
I've sold a fleet of the 1127 and 1123 series saws this year. Very good sellers. Buy them cheap or get them free and all is good. I held onto one, an ms290 that I converted (begrudgingly) to an OEM stihl ms390. (As per my dads wishes, it was his fathers day present and he doesn't like aftermarket stuff.) I have 2 026s that I run, but have also always liked an 025/ms250, but have always sols them due to demand. Maybe my new Chinese 025 I affectionately call cooter will stand the test of time. I sure hope do.
On a side note put a faremertec ms390 cylinder from Dave on it and don't look back, I bought one from DD a month ago for a customer, the last time I talked to him he had 13 truck loads on it and still going strong. Those top ends are very well made, even putting g aside the fact they are a quarter of the price of OEM. But... Let's not ruin the surprises in my upcoming thread about my new favorite saw (cooter) and my farmertec adventures and misadventures. Stay tuned.
Also I got a couple saws for sale on the tp I listed above. Drop some comments on the listings and let me know what you think guys, those are the kind if saws I sell.

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
for us who collect saws it's good time :D i was to late on two deals locally, nice working 254xpg 120$, 1 beautiful 246 also for 120$.

I don't know if I will ever understand the saying "I collect saws" I personally don't "collect, I just have the beater saws, the tough saws, the pretty saws, the big saws, the BIGGER saws, throw away saws, the loaner saws, the pole saws, the project saws, and the parts saws. But no I don't collect.
Denial is one off the twelve steps. God grant me the serenity...

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
I want it to fail. Not roached but like Mount saint Helens fail, I don't know why, I've been generally pleased with farmertec products, but these engines have been a thorn in my side as well as DDs but there was a problem with loose bearings and seals tearing... and Reggie contain your excitement!!!! Cooter will come in his/her glorious triumph/ failure tomorrow.
I made a joke about some of you guys. Some of y'all post pictures if absolutely spotless saws you use for work, I had my little brother clean up some of the parts, and man even after cleaning those parts will still dirty. I swear some of you ported saw polishers use your first born sons toothbrush to clean them things. Yeah.... Cooter ain't that.

a. palmer jr.
The 250 I posted was one I put together and only used once or twice because I don't have any wood to cut now and I have several other saws I need to try out. I have a medium size paint brush that I use to brush the sawdust off my saws when I'm done but I don't have any that are meant to be shelf queens, they are users..

tickhound93

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
The 250 I posted was one I put together and only used once or twice because I don't have any wood to cut now and I have several other saws I need to try out. I have a medium size paint brush that I use to brush the sawdust off my saws when I'm done but I don't have any that are meant to be shelf queens, they are users..
If you don't have any wood to cut, come to Iowa, test all your saws. All of them. I am very fortunate to have way more wood than I can cut, I have more saws with little use on them than I have saws with heavy use on them. My wood supply is outrageous, so is my saw supply.

Latest posts