How are used saws selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, thanks to you and Fear, maybe I can get up enough courage to sell a saw that runs perfectly. I have to keep reminding myself that I cannot run them all at the same time. There are a bundle of guys out there that could use one of my saws more than I can. Unfortunately, the last time that I sold a Stihl saw, some crook stole the saw right out of the buyer's garage and it's never been found. I'm afraid that will haunt me forever.

Look what I found for $50. Dirty as H***, but no broken parts (a few missing).

They told me it had no compression, but I'm sure it would have with a plug installed!

Wires to the kill switch were disconnected, and looks like an electrode from the switch is also missing. I'm ordering a new one.

The jug is perfect, but I found an 046-D I may put on instead. Then I will have to determine what is wrong with it.

This is my 3rd 460 score this year. One went to Randy, the second to my neighbor, and I'm playing with this one. Not one of them was as seriously damaged as I was led to believe.

Attachments

• MS460P&C1-1-16 005.jpg
    MS460P&C1-1-16 005.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 460-12-30-15 002.jpg
    460-12-30-15 002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 460-12-30-15 003.jpg
    460-12-30-15 003.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 20
They told me this one was scored, and demonstrated it had no compression by pulling the recoil, w/o a plug!

The previous one I got from them, the jug was pulled and the saw was locked. They told me it was the bearings, turned out to be just the clutch.

I got the other one in exchange for $150 that was owed to me from another source. They told me the top end was fried, was just the decomp valve.

I'm hoping to get a 440 for $50 next, that one clearly has transfer on the P&C.

I believe they are tying to move things out due to a lease issue.

It has been like pulling teeth to get them one at a time. Last time in there one said to the other "give him a saw to get rid of him". It was half joking, but only half! I have been persistent, but trying not to be a pain!

If I sell all the Stihls I have for sale, I won't feel bad because I'll still have 3 026's, an 039, an 044, a couple of 046's a couple of MS660's, my 070 plus others. Plus I have enough carcasses to build up a heap of 1130 and 1123 saws. And waiting on repairs/rebuilds are another 026, an 036 pro and some more 1127 series saws. Then there's all the other projects of other brands...
Thought I'd ask: I've had a few 039-390 Stihl saws and they seem to be somewhat of a disappointment in the performance category. Am I expecting too much out of them or am I just tuning them wrong or what?

They told me this one was scored, and demonstrated it had no compression by pulling the recoil, w/o a plug!

The previous one I got from them, the jug was pulled and the saw was locked. They told me it was the bearings, turned out to be just the clutch.

I got the other one in exchange for $150 that was owed to me from another source. They told me the top end was fried, was just the decomp valve.

I'm hoping to get a 440 for $50 next, that one clearly has transfer on the P&C. I believe they are tying to move things out due to a lease issue.
Mike scores again. How is it that he's always in the right place at the right time? Sheeeesh!

Clean that saw up with an old toothbrush dipped in solvent, add a missing nameplate on the shroud, and you will have a $500 diamond emerge from the rough. And, that bar looks almost new. Gadfry!

Thought I'd ask: I've had a few 039-390 Stihl saws and they seem to be somewhat of a disappointment in the performance category. Am I expecting too much out of them or am I just tuning them wrong or what?
They are still good firewood saws, they do benefit from a muffler mod, not jaw droppers by any means but solid power for what they are.

Mike scores again. How is it that he's always in the right place at the right time? Sheeeesh!

Clean that saw up with an old toothbrush dipped in solvent, add a missing nameplate on the shroud, and you will have a $500 diamond emerge from the rough. And, that bar looks almost new. Gadfry!

Thanks, I have had a good run of luck lately. Previously, there were several deals that eluded me, like the guy who promised to sell me a 1st year 046, then sold it to someone else. I was also working on these current deals for quite a while before they came through. These saws have been in the shop for a long time, and I just keep asking about them until they take my money! They charge $85/hr, so it is not worth it to them.

Not sure how yours are set up but I've run a lot of saws and the 039/MS390 will run with most in the cc class. A muffler mod is essential on this series of saw.

The first income tax refund checks (direct deposits) are estimated to be released starting Feb 5 and every Friday afterwards, from then on. It's usually the same time frame every year. Saw sales seem to pick up considerably once people start getting their refunds, from my observation. I usually have no problem selling a saw once tax refund season starts. On fleece bay anyway. FWIW

My observation for what it is worth , I watch people post saws after they work on them and price a 400 dollar saw for 600 to recoup their parts and time when in fact you could buy a nib saw for a few dollars more! Case in point I bought a 346 for $325 and it fried! I put oem p/c and that cost 245 so no way I would even think of asking $570 for saw. They are asking $500 to $600 for a 372 when I can buy new for $737 out the door that is warrantied. I have seen numerous posters on here say a saw should be 50 % of new cost and then the next week post a 10 year old saw 175 less than 800 new . just my .02 cents

I hope you aren't talking about me Gary ;)

Saws have less worth than people think. No question. Most 372's I see look like they've been dragged behind a truck and people still want $500 or so for them.... AND the amazing thing about that is that on ebay, they can fetch that kinda $$.

I think saws that are rebuilt are a different animal though....then throw a little port work in the mix and it becomes hard to actually value a saw. Anyone that buys a trashed 372 at $500 vs a warranteed one at $730 should have their head examined, I'm with ya there. But parts are astronomically expensive for these things, and buying in bulk doesn't help, so the few guys that rebuild stuff and know what they are doing aren't getting reimbursed for doing so.... so whats the point then in rebuilding saws, other than it being a labor of love? there's no money in it... so why bother? on a personal level, I rebuild just to learn and ressurect saws and i'm pretty sure I haven't made money yet.

So far I'm pretty sure the only way to make money with saws is to part them out on the bay.... and even then its a bit risky.

Latest posts

Back