How are used saws selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend hauling in wood to my place this summer and I just cut it up into firewood size, had to finally shut him off because I had more than I could use in 2 or 3 years. I tested most of my saws then but I will hopefully be getting more broken saws in to fix up. I was given about 6 or 8 saws last week that don't look like they'll be needing tested for awhile, I think I got 3 of them started but they didn't run well..

+1 on saws selling if priced right. The problem is the market changes and people expect to get old money for them. Good saws priced appropriately WILL sell. I am not surprised some have trouble selling their saws at what they are asking for them, the philosophy of start high and slowly come down in price is not a good one because by the time the seller is prepared to take what the saw is worth it's an old stock clapped out flogged to death saw add that people intuitively think there must be something wrong with. Price them right up front in a fresh add and you create 'urgency' among the buyers. Creating that urgency makes people not muck around and make decisions. lt's not rocket science.....but there is a bit of skill involved to be a good trader.

I've also noticed that if you are "known" on the site, your saws generally sell much faster than the occasional poster.

I was very surprised a MMWS 044 had to be reduced from 575 to 500, I thought the original price was more than fair.

I also notice that 046/460s seem to be valued a lot more than 044/440s. I'm not surprised there is a difference, but IMO, the difference is larger than rational.

Just my 2 cents.

I've also noticed that if you are "known" on the site, your saws generally sell much faster than the occasional poster. I was very surprised a MMWS 044 had to be reduced from 575 to 500, I thought the original price was more than fair.

I also notice that 046/460s seem to be valued a lot more than 044/440s. I'm not surprised there is a difference, but IMO, the difference is larger than rational.

Just my 2 cents.
I'll try to explain that difference. Many guys have a 60 cc saw and going bigger to the 046 or 460 is a full step up rather than a half-step. So, they avoid the half-step and get the 046. That was my reasoning when I wanted a stronger saw than the 361 that struggles somewhat with a 25" bar. The 046 loves the 25" bar and has the required extra grunt to pull it and a couple of bigger bars up to boot without bogging down.

So, the 044 and 440 series just seemed like more weight and not that much more power. My 046 is a little ugly, but it really gets the job done with an excellent HP-to-weight ratio.

See it similar, further the extremely low oil price shouldn't be excluded. Heating oil is as low since years.

I think low heating prices are likely the primary factor in poor saw sales. Unlike us here on the forums, most people don't buy saws because they "like" them. They buy them as a tool. If they don't NEED that tool, they don't buy it.

That sux. I'm still in buy mode...I may walk on over to the Trading Post, see what's loitering.
I have a nice 61 completely gone through with 272 closed port, some cutting done, muffler mod runs great :) Let me know :)

What I also see as a problem is that slowly but surely buyers are aware of cheap china parts availability and I am sire are questioning "why pay german prices for china quality..."? And I totally agree. No one, in his sane mind would pay original Stihl spare part prices for a homeowner saw that is 10 - 20 years old.

Walk over here and lighten up my inventory. That way you can try the saws first. (Pike County, GA)
Got a saw in the works...but yes to coming and checking out the inventory possibly within the next month or so. You're not far away at all. I'll keep in touch with a PM.

What I also see as a problem is that slowly but surely buyers are aware of cheap china parts availability and I am sire are questioning "why pay german prices for china quality..."? And I totally agree. No one, in his sane mind would pay original Stihl spare part prices for a homeowner saw that is 10 - 20 years old.

Maybe so but I've got a couple I've rebuilt from China parts and can't get them running. Don't know if it's bad parts or me yet, trying to find out.

What I have understood sofar with china parts in "hardware" = engine parts are ok, "rubber" is best average and often more sensible buying original. 7
In my case that's about right. I've used their pulse hoses and they seem okay, engine parts I've not had enough time with to know how they hold up. Cosmetics, the plastic parts of course look like new, which calls your attention to them because they're bright and shiny allows a buyer to notice that it has aftermarket parts on it. Once you've had a little experience you can tell a non original part a mile away..Stihl 029 002.JPG You might think that by looking at this saw that it might have an aftermarket engine, not so, it's all Stihl.

Saws are probably selling okay, I just mentioned earlier that I haven't sold any mostly because I don't have any for sale right now. I'm kinda in the stocking up mode right now, think I'll put a few up for sale next Monday if things work out and see how they do. These probably won't be saws that people here on AS would jump at, just excess saws that I'm trying to move out..

Latest posts

Back