How are used saws selling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got a few saws to sell myself, just wondering how the market is? I don't have any real big ticket saws, an ms250c, ms251 cbe, an ms 211, and shortly a 575 xp xtorque. I also see that the trading post seems kinda slow. You guys having any luck? Its slow in the carpentry business right now so selling these would give me some extra cash but would like to see how others are fairing

I get the sense that the prior generation saws - Stihl 028, 026, etc. - have come up against a wall and are not moving as they used to do, even a few years ago. The generation prior to that - 031, 041, etc. - are now dinosaurs and have a much more limited appeal and their marketability is much diminished. Even some of the classic mid-sized saws - Husqvarna 281, 288, etc. - seem to be languishing on the trading post in ways that they never would have done five or more years back to s

Homeowner machines seem to come up on CL and clear off pretty quickly, though. Yours, save for the 575, should be a fast and easy sell locally.

I've had very little serious interest in the saws I have for sale. Mostly lowballers sending me a text offering $100 less than my asking price that is clearly indicated to be "firm" in my ad. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other as I don't depend on my saw hobby to eat. The weather certainly has been an issue too with warm temps in much of the country and people not desperate for firewood. I also sell firewood and have had extremely low demand for that as well. Again, not a serious issue as I'll just use it myself otherwise.

There's a 357xp in VGC in the trading post right now for $325 PHO that as far as I know is still available... That ought to tell ya something.. I myself am very surprised it wasn't scooped up rather quickly...

I'll add that the slow sales have included the 0 series Stihls but also several in the MS series. (MS310, MS390 MS440, MS460, etc) Saws just aren't moving around me. One big storm may change all that however.

Later this winter I hope to build up some small Stihls like the 017/018 and MS210/MS250 and we'll see if any interest develops for those.

I don't have pictures right now for the little homeowner saws? I would rate the 250 in worst cosmetic shape, but its still good with new chain. Is 125 close? The 211 is in pretty good shape, new chain, is that a 150 dollar saw or more? Finally the 251 is barely used. The stihl dealer near me says 300 but I would like some input.

FOP you hit the nail on the head. We have a " storm " here now of sorts and I am positive I can move as many used saws as I want after it hits. Last year I sold a 20 year old snowblower for 750.00 just because there were none to be had in the shops. The right time the right place and $$$$

I have also noticed some very good saws don't sell unless the price is very attractive. The same saws that were generating bidding wars last year need markdowns to sell this year. Don't know what to make of it.

I think it's difficult to sell a used chainsaw everywhere.
Long time I thought your guys got alot saws for your money while every used Husky was expensive in Norway.
42/242/246/254 goes for 1/2 the price here now compared for just a year ago.
Same price 254xpg vs ms170 nowadays

When there's a "weather event" in my area, I just keep my prices the same as usual, it just helps the volume of sales. I have sort of an overpopulation of saws and could probably part with 10 of them without feeling lonely. I have another dozen projects that could be put together rather quickly if needed. Just nothing going on right now other than flooding. Well, that applies to Georgia. Where I am in MI right now it's sleet, howling winds and threatened freezing rain. (don't have any saws with me though...)

Around my parts there is an overabundance of MS250's like nobodies business!!
A ton of MS 290's & quite a few early model 028's.

Even seeing some 044's, 440 Mags popping up, just talked with a guy who wants about $375 for a "nice" MS460 with 24 bar...
Like everyone has said, "I'm seeing more saws for sale for a much longer time than ever before."

I think some people like myself are selling/waiting for the next generation of saws . They are sure taking forever, hopefully they have most of the kinks ironed out before releasing them.

Around here the market for second hand forestry/gardening equipment is as flat as it hasn't ever been.
This year I managed to pick a once unobtainable MS290 for 350€ and a Honda UMK brushcutter for 200€. In 2014 I would have been laughed out of the building for offering that money.

I suspect the reason is in part people have no money to spend after paying for the inevitable expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, food etc) and in part because the ready availability of dirt cheap Chinese and Korean equipment. For the money of that MS290 I could have picked two brand new Chinese saws around 60cc and have enough money left to buy enough oil and fuel to last me two seasons. I am not joking.
People have come to see saws as disposable items. If it breaks down under warranty, they just take it back to the shop to have it swapped, if it somehow manages to last more than two years, they just throw it away and buy a new one.
Yesterday I dropped by at the local Stihl dealership to pick up a spare chain and noticed even them have a shelf loaded with cheap Chinese saws apart from the usual pile of 170/180/181 for sale at rebated priced. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Latest posts

Back