How big a bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How big a bar can I run on my Wild Thng? I would like to mill a redwood so I can make my own 4x8 plywood. Do I need to add extra oil to the gas?
wildthing.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

If you get a double ended bar with an 880 on the other end you should be able to pull 84" no problem...:cheers:

You'd be fine with a 48" with a muffler mod, and mix a tall-boy beer can (16oz) of used motor oil in each gallon of 85 octane. Thats a 12.5:1 mix ratio for you rocket scientists.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Not to be serious but...

How does that double headed bar deal work? I assume one powerhead has to be upside down, otherwise they's be in a fight... but unless both engines were in perfect synch, wouldn't the slower one be pulled along for the ride?

Hmmm maybe the double bar deal would be a way to see whose saw is stronger? Kinda like a tug-o-war? Tie a piece of flagging on the chain for a witness mark....

It'd be like TimberDome™ "Two Saws Enter, One Saw Leave!"

Last edited:
If I cant get 85 octaine, will 84.5 octaine work?

What kind of bar oil should I use?
Wesson or Crisco?

How big a bar can I run on my Wild Thng? I would like to mill a redwood so I can make my own 4x8 plywood. Do I need to add extra oil to the gas?
wildthing.jpg

:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey, they are selling those things at Home Depot for $119. But, the bar's a little shorter, I think.

Wesson or Crisco?

84.5 octane will do fine, just add a shot of Everclear 190.

I'd use Palmolive dish soap. Bar oil is overrated, and the soap makes the saw much easier to clean.

The real joke is that this has really happened before. A guy brought a poulan in to my brothers shop and had them fit a 54 inch Stihl bar it. Oh, and he wanted full comp carbide chain too. The guy wouldn't lsten to reason, so they did it and sent it out the door.:jawdrop:

For that big of a bar you are going to need more torque.
Forget using gas, I would run Diesel.

For that big of a bar you are going to need more torque.
Forget using gas, I would run Diesel.

Now you're Loggin! Set the squish at like 0.00000234 and thread a bung in the plug hole!

Be Great Fun until the top-end launches through the shed roof and into low orbit... then a screen at NORAD lights up and they send out the Black Helicopters™ to see just what ole Romeo is up to down there.

Substantial PPE will be your best friend, trust me!

Now you're Loggin! Set the squish at like 0.00000234 and thread a bung in the plug hole!

Be Great Fun until the top-end launches through the shed roof and into low orbit... then a screen at NORAD lights up and they send out the Black Helicopters™ to see just what ole Romeo is up to down there.

Substantial PPE will be your best friend, trust me!
Don't worry about PPE, I am going to wear 2 rubbers and I also have a taser.

Wesson or Crisco?

The used motor oil you didn't mix with the gas, duh!!!! You get 5 quarts of used oil with the change, that will mix 2 gallons of fuel and give you enough bar oil to make it through. If not, just run it until the gas runs out. Diesel guys get a bit more oil to mess with and could go even longer.

Mark

Last edited:
Back